alright so im looking at getting the esp ex401 guitar.

im not sure if i should spend the extra 140 bucks that it would cost to get the floyd rose edition, so what are the big differences in getting a floyd rose compared to getting it regular?
RAW POWER
Floyd rose is a floating bridge, so you can raise and lower the pitch, unlike a trem on, say, a Strat that can only lower the pitch. The problem with this is that they are double locking and have to be balanced correctly, so it's much harder to tune and set up, but you can also do squeals with harmonics and all sorts of nifty, fun tricks with them.

Only get it if you plan on using the tremolo seriously though, as it takes a lot of effort to manage. Look up some videos to see what it's like. Even retuning takes longer because tuning on string puts the rest of the strings a bit out of tune, so you retune over and over until they all balance out. Things like that that take a lot longer than on a no-trem guitar.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
Quote by The Red Comet
Floyd rose is a floating bridge, so you can raise and lower the pitch, unlike a trem on, say, a Strat that can only lower the pitch. The problem with this is that they are double locking and have to be balanced correctly, so it's much harder to tune and set up, but you can also do squeals with harmonics and all sorts of nifty, fun tricks with them.

Only get it if you plan on using the tremolo seriously though, as it takes a lot of effort to manage. Look up some videos to see what it's like. Even retuning takes longer because tuning on string puts the rest of the strings a bit out of tune, so you retune over and over until they all balance out. Things like that that take a lot longer than on a no-trem guitar.

Not true... I just played on a fender strat 2 days ago and I was able to raise the pitch and lower it.
Quote by darkcheef
Not true... I just played on a fender strat 2 days ago and I was able to raise the pitch and lower it.

Hmm, I guess you're right, you can set it up to do that. I don't generally see them do that, though, and it probably can't raise the pitch like the Floyds can, since FR guitars have the cavity for the FR to sink into.

Moreover, with the Strat style vintage trem, you can't use it too hard without making your strings go out of tune. The Floyds lock, so it stays in tune better for more extreme trem maneuvers.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
alright thanks guys, ill go into a store sometime soon and try it out... i have never been a big tremolo guy, but thats cuz my les paul doesnt have one lol... but ya thanks again for the help, really appreciate it!
RAW POWER