A chord progression. I'm trying to write a solo over some chords and I need an example if im to figure this out by myself.

G5, Ab5, F5, G5, Eb5, D5.

G5 to Ab5 gets minor 2nd
Ab5 to F5 gets major 6th
F5 to G5 gets major 2nd
G5 to Eb5 gets minor 6th
Eb5 to D5 gets Major 7th

So from that i'm guessing you get something in the Harmonic major/minor scales or maybe a Double Harmonic Major Scale?
add up all the notes, subtract the duplicates and then determine the tonal center and you will have the notes for your scale.
Quote by Blckspawn
Ab, A, Bb, C, D, Eb, F, G.

So what now?

Bb C D Eb F G Ab A

Looks like Bb major with an added b7 (which is very common).
Quote by timeconsumer09
Bb C D Eb F G Ab A

Looks like Bb major with an added b7 (which is very common).

Well in order for me to stop asking these questions, i need to know how you came to that?
Quote by Blckspawn
Well in order for me to stop asking these questions, i need to know how you came to that?

No problem. (and I'm assuming you came up with the right notes in the first place, I didn't really bother to look).

You gave me the notes "Ab, A, Bb, C, D, Eb, F, G". All major and minor scales are diatonic. This means they all use every note name at least once. I see right off the bat that there's 2 notes with "A" in them, and three notes with flats. I know my key signatures. The key of Ab has 3 flats, all of which are contained in those notes, so it could be a likely candidate. But a b2 (you'd notate the A as a Bbb) isn't a very common addition to a scale, so I'm going to put that one on the side for now. I know that the key of Bb has 2 flats, and they're both in that set of notes. So I spell out my scale... and still have the extra Ab. Well, it just so happens Ab is the b7 in the key of Bb. And it just so happens a b7 is a very common addition to a scale.

In order to understand this, you need to read up on:
-Keys and key signatures
-Scale construction
-Circle of Fifths

It's not terribly difficult, and I hope I explained it alright. If you have more questions I'd be glad to try and help.
ok, I'm going to pull that apart a little so I can understand it better.

After you get all the notes in the chord progression(minus the duplicates), then you pick out the sharps/flats. From there you use the CoF to (generally) find a scale that fits.

Right?
KillahSquirrel: It very well could be. But looking at the notes, I'd say it's much more probable that it's Bb because Ab as a b7 is more common than Bbb (A) as a b2.

Quote by Blckspawn
ok, I'm going to pull that apart a little so I can understand it better.

After you get all the notes in the chord progression(minus the duplicates), then you pick out the sharps/flats. From there you use the CoF to (generally) find a scale that fits.

Right?

Right.

BUT. On second look (and actually looking at the progression), it looks like it's in the relative minor of Bb, which is Gm.
Last edited by timeconsumer09 at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by timeconsumer09
KillahSquirrel: It very well could be. But looking at the notes, I'd say it's much more probable that it's Bb because Ab as a b7 is more common than Bbb (A) as a b2.

Right.

BUT. On second look (and actually looking at the progression), it looks like it's in the relative minor of Bb, which is Gm.

ok you lost me there.
if you wrote that wouldnt you know what key/scale you wrote it in?
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by Blckspawn
ok you lost me there.

It's in Gm. I thought it was in Bb major based on the notes, but after playing it I realized it resolves to G. Gm has the same notes as Bb major, and the Ab is just a chromatic.
Quote by bass-man9712
if you wrote that wouldnt you know what key/scale you wrote it in?

I just played around till I found some chords that sounded good together.
Quote by timeconsumer09
It's in Gm. I thought it was in Bb major based on the notes, but after playing it I realized it resolves to G. Gm has the same notes as Bb major, and the Ab is just a chromatic.

What do you mean Chromatic?
Quote by Blckspawn
What do you mean Chromatic?

Chromatic is things like A Bb B C C#. A series of notes that are only a half step apart.
ok, so why would it be in the Major scales and not in the minor or harmonic minor?
Quote by Blckspawn
ok, so why would it be in the Major scales and not in the minor or harmonic minor?

its not in a major scale, its in Gm.
Quote by z4twenny
its not in a major scale, its in Gm.

Thats what I meant. my bad.
Since those are in G minor, yes playing g minor over it would work.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by 7even
Since those are in G minor, yes playing g minor over it would work.

So as long as the scale is in the key of G it will work with that progression?
G minor. Yes. Watch out for the Ab though.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

- John Coltrane
Quote by 7even
G minor. Yes. Watch out for the Ab though.

So a G Harmonic minor would work too? Also why watch out for the Ab?
There wouldn't be any reason to play harmonic minor since the seventh is flat. And you should watch out for the Ab5 since this isn't in key.
Quote by thsrayas

- John Coltrane
Quote by 7even
There wouldn't be any reason to play harmonic minor since the seventh is flat. And you should watch out for the Ab5 since this isn't in key.

Ok then. so instead of Ab put as G#?
Ab and G# are enharmonic. I'm not quite sure what you meant by that comment.
Quote by thsrayas

- John Coltrane
Quote by 7even
Ab and G# are enharmonic. I'm not quite sure what you meant by that comment.

I know that, but why isn't Ab a key? I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.....
Ab is a key, but Ab isn't in the Key of G minor which is what you should be aware of when playing G minor over your progression.
Quote by thsrayas

- John Coltrane
Quote by 7even
Ab is a key, but Ab isn't in the Key of G minor which is what you should be aware of when playing G minor over your progression.

ooohhhh ok, but why would Gm work then?
Because the progression resolves to G and all the other 'chords' fit in G minor Except that Ab.
Quote by thsrayas

- John Coltrane
Quote by 7even
Because the progression resolves to G and all the other 'chords' fit in G minor Except that Ab.

ok I get it now Thanks. One last thing. I want to make sure I get this. One last example.

D5, Eb5, Gb5, F5. - Chords

A, Bb, C, C#, D, Eb, F, Gb. - Notes

From there I can't figure out what scale goes with it?
At first glance I'd say Eb Harmonic minor since it seems as the root is Eb. Fifth chords don't have a very strong resolution so it's hard to say.
Quote by thsrayas

- John Coltrane
Quote by 7even
At first glance I'd say Eb Harmonic minor since it seems as the root is Eb. Fifth chords don't have a very strong resolution so it's hard to say.

So how would you know that Eb is the root? Someone else said Eb harmonic minor by the way.
Last edited by Blckspawn at Aug 14, 2009,
Play it. Where do you it resolves to?
It's a very unstable 'progression' so it doesn't really resolve to anything.
Quote by thsrayas

- John Coltrane
Quote by 7even
Play it. Where do you it resolves to?
It's a very unstable 'progression' so it doesn't really resolve to anything.

....true.

Well thanks I think I got the basic idea down.
I hope it helped.
I recommend reading the crusade articles on this site and the lessons on musictheory.net.
Quote by thsrayas

- John Coltrane