I'm trying to decide between the two. From what I can see, really the only difference is the shape and weight distribution. I like the way the SG-400 makes the upper frets more accessible, and I also like the small neck. But is the LP a superior guitar? Any other suggestions of guitars, preferably for around $500 or less.
i went for the LP and i absolutely love it!
but they have the same (awesome) pups, so go for whichever you prefer aesthetically and whatever suits your playing style the best
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
oh, I should have mentioned- I need to be able to get it in Canada without paying ridiculous shipping fees, which puts stuff like the suggested Agile out of the runnings. Thanks anyways.

Another thing, I'd like it under $500 Canadian. again, should have said.
The neck on the Epi SGs and LPs is actually the same. Even on Gibson LPs and SGs now, they use a mixture of necks and it's quite possible to get an SG with a thicker neck and a Les Paul with a thinner neck.

For reference the standard Epi neck is thicker than the slim Gibson 60's neck, but a little slimmer and more tapered than the current Gibson 50's profile. It's best you go and try some out to see if you like it or not.

As far as quality goes, they're exactly the same.

In terms of feel, it's the standard LP vs SG thing: the LP weighs more and if you've got smaller hands the fret access might be a problem for you, while the SG gives full access for everyone and a lighter weight but often suffers from neck dive problems (especially Epiphone SGs).

As far as sound goes, it's the usual thing: LP sustains more, SG sounds clearer.

Remember there are also good SG and LP copies by brands like ESP-LTD, Tokai and etc.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I feel for you if your only options seem to be a bad Epi or a terrible Epi. What price is a Godin Redline over there?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Oh, well what amp do you have? And are you willing to get anything other than a LP or SG?
A Godin Redline I is just under $500. That's the basic model that looks to me like a piece of ****. A II is about $700.
I have a ****ty little 15watt amp that came with my first guitar (Squier) which I plan to upgrade ASAP. Haven't decided on what to get yet in that area.

I'm willing to branch out and get other models of guitar, but I've played both in the guitar store and they seemed to outshine other guitars I've tried that are around the same pricerange.
Quote by Insaneguy75
$470 USD = $511 CND.
$120 International shipping too.

You could easily find a Michael Kelly in Canada so scratch the shipping, and $11 over budget is nothing.
I don't think it would be that easy, but I'll keep it in mind.

Any other suggestions that would be for sure available?

oh, and ESP has a dealership in my city, so I'm looking at their models. Any recommendations?
Quote by Insaneguy75
I don't think it would be that easy, but I'll keep it in mind.

Any other suggestions that would be for sure available?

oh, and ESP has a dealership in my city, so I'm looking at their models. Any recommendations?

No, lower end esp's are horrible for the money, what about a HSS MiM strat
I already have a Strat (a very cheap and crappy one, but nevertheless), so I'm not really interested in getting a new guitar of the exact same design. If I wanted a HSS I could basically just modify my Squier with new pickups and a few other touchups.
Quote by Insaneguy75
I already have a Strat (a very cheap and crappy one, but nevertheless), so I'm not really interested in getting a new guitar of the exact same design. If I wanted a HSS I could basically just modify my Squier with new pickups and a few other touchups.

Then get a Schecter omen extreme 6, its only $400, and it's easy to find. Has alnico humbuckers pickups with push pull pots so it is versatile.
that guitar seems to be suited for heavy metal playing, I prefer guitars that can do all sorts of styles well rather than a few amazingly well. Hence the LP or SG.
Quote by Insaneguy75
that guitar seems to be suited for heavy metal playing, I prefer guitars that can do all sorts of styles well rather than a few amazingly well. Hence the LP or SG.

Can you not hear, it has ALNICO PICKUPS and a COIL TAP. That makes it even more versatile than the les paul and the sg.
oops, sorry for misreading.

Thanks a ton for the help, I'll definitely look into the pricetag on that model. There are 3 stores in my city that sell Schecters, so I should be able to find one
'Alnico pickups' means nothing since the vast majority of guitars are made with pickups using alnico magnets, and you're using 'coil tap' incorrectly.

I wish people would stop doing this. "I want an LP, what can you suggest?" "Hurrr, how about this Telecaster? ".

The guy asked for SG/LP advice, stick to the SGs and LPs.

As far as those ESP's go, the lowest models (50/51 series) definitely are rubbish. The 256 series are okay but still very much beginner guitars. 400/401 range is where things start to get pretty good, and then there's the 1000 series which are basically the 400/401 but with a bit more flash and attention to detail. I'm not sure what the prices are like in Canada but they're really worth looking in to, many people would argue that an ESP-LTD 400/401 or 1000 series can compete with a better Epiphone/lower Gibson. Personally I think they're somewhere in-between the two, between than an Epi Standard or an average Gibson Studio but not as good as a Gibson Standard or a better Gibson Studio.

I also just notice on some Canadian sites you can get Vintage guitars - these are the European equivalent of Agile though arguably have better hardware. I'm surprised you can't get Agile easily in Canada but you can get Vintage, but anyway - they're very good guitars, easily on-par with Epiphone and perhaps better value for money. The Vintage 'Advance' series in particular are great and have a few unique features of their own such as thumb cut-outs on the Les Pauls for better fret access. The 'Advance' models might run you just out of budget though. Still, worth looking into.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
'Alnico pickups' means nothing and you're using 'coil tap' incorrectly.

The guy asked for SG/LP advice, stick to the SGs and LPs.

Alnico's do mean something, they sound more like acoustic guitars when put on clean and typically have less output than ceramic pickups. Also the guy said he is open to different body styles.
Quote by darkcheef
Alnico's do mean something, they sound more like acoustic guitars when put on clean and typically have less output than ceramic pickups.
There is not a facepalm in the world large enough.

Also the guy said he is open to different body styles.
True but if he can get something good in the styles he originally requested, why not stick with that?
Quote by MrFlibble
There is not a facepalm in the world large enough.

True but if he can get something good in the styles he originally requested, why not stick with that?

Are you a idiot, alnico magnet's sound so much different than ceramic. My cousin has these pickups where you could just install either Alnico II magnets or ceramic magnets in a pickup(they were in guitar player magazine to). The ceramic sounded harsh but the alnico II sounded smoother.

Also he didn't request either a SG or a les paul. Look at the quote

Quote by Insaneguy75
I'm trying to decide between the two. From what I can see, really the only difference is the shape and weight distribution. I like the way the SG-400 makes the upper frets more accessible, and I also like the small neck. But is the LP a superior guitar? Any other suggestions of guitars, preferably for around $500 or less.

All he said was he was trying to decide between the two, no request and he said any other suggestions.
Quote by darkcheef
Are you a idiot, alnico magnet's sound so much different than ceramic.
That's not even remotely the point. In fact it's not even relevant since no ceramic-based guitars have even been suggested yet.

It's as if you're going out of your way to look as uneducated on the subject as possible.

All he said was he was trying to decide between the two, no request and he said any other suggestions.
The implication was obvious.
Quote by MrFlibble
That's not even remotely the point. In fact it's not even relevant since no ceramic-based guitars have even been suggested yet.

It's as if you're going out of your way to look as uneducated on the subject as possible.

The implication was obvious.

No it was not since then he said then.

Quote by Insaneguy75
I have a ****ty little 15watt amp that came with my first guitar (Squier) which I plan to upgrade ASAP. Haven't decided on what to get yet in that area.

I'm willing to branch out and get other models of guitar, but I've played both in the guitar store and they seemed to outshine other guitars I've tried that are around the same pricerange.

So you could see he is open to other styles.
the only Canadian dealership for Vintages is on the other side of the country, unfortunately. And shipping is really a waste of money IMO.

I'll go to the store sometime and try out the Epi and the ESP, see what I prefer. Thanks for the tips!
And my preference of body style would be the LP or SG, sorry if I didn't make that clear. I was simply asking for other recommendations to see what the community thinks is best.