hey guys. im hopefully going to be getting a les paul (or some sort of copy) soon so i need some pickup advice before i get it, so as soon as i do i can wire it up.

i think iv narrowed it down to the JB, custom 5, or custom custom. iv heard mixed things about some of these sound in mahogany bodies.

sounds im going for: alter bridge, slipknot, sevendust, and metallica.

i know the rythm guitarist in alter bridge (whos tone i like better than marks) uses a custom custom, but they are very mid heavy (so the duncan website says) so that may hurt the other sounds im trying to go for.

i really wana stay away from active and ceramic pickups as iv tried them and im not a huge fan. they are both great but not very versatile, and rather harsh.

im open to other suggestions. id rather stick to seymour, but if any dimarzio fanboy come in here id like to hear what u have to say.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
JB, amazingly versatile, high gain, would go well
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375
any other comments?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Custom all the way, you'd be better off with a ceramic magnet with those levels of distortion.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I never tried this pu in a Paul, but I am a huge fan of the JB4. I have owned the custom 5 and the sd-6, both were thin. The Jeff Beck JB4 (pretty sure on number) is a very clean pickup and also very punchy. Dimarzio super dist humbuckers sound terrible in a Paul so stay away form those.
JB was designed for mahogany and IMO that is the only wood it sounds really good in. The high end is harsh and screechie in alder or ash. The SH-5 is awesome in anything. Power to crunch and still a sweet rounded high end without the JBs sizzlyness. Sh-5 is slightly down on output compared to the SH-4 and is thicker and warmer. Jb will net you better pinch harmonics.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!