Hi @ all
First I wanted to know what you think.
Which techniques are important to be a good guitarist ?

Here some other questions ^^

Which techniques are a must ???
And how do you train the speed for your right and left hand ??
I believe good string dampening (muting) is the most important technique to develop.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
That's a little too ambiguous, be more specific on what kind of techniques and what you mean by techniques.
Quote by mXta
Hi @ all
First I wanted to know what you think.
Which techniques are important to be a good guitarist ?

Here some other questions ^^

Which techniques are a must ???
And how do you train the speed for your right and left hand ??

There is one technique that is essential for a good guitarist: playing the right notes. Beyond that you can do whatever the hell you want.

Secondly: You don't train speed, you train accuracy, speed is a byproduct of that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
this was pretty much the same as a thread i just answered in depth, go look for it

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
everything is a must, every good guitarist never settles for one thing. Through out the years you try to become good at everything and try to improve on everything because there is always room for improvement. As for speed, one word, METRONOME!
holding fingers on the fretboard and strumming...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Palm muting, precision, and bending.
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
Precision bending is a must for emotional David Gilmour-esque solos. If you want speed, start out with jimmy page solos and progress into malmsteen solos. the best way is to train hammer-ons and pulloffs and learn from the masters. start out slow, get it note for note, then get faster as you get more accurate and familiar with the piece.
I agree with Zaphod.

But if posture counts as a technique then maybe that.
inb4 vibra-- aw...

Your ear should be pretty in tune, although you don't necessarily have yo be able to transcribe holdsworth by ear, it's important to hear what you want to play and then hear what you are playing and notice the difference. Like being you own critic I mean, not exactly a technique, but knowing what you want to change an improve to make you sound like you hear it in your head is important for any individual guitarist.
I can't explain it very well :S you have to motivate yourself to improve is what I mean.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Prophet of Page
I believe good string dampening (muting) is the most important technique to develop.

Yeah, can somebody help me out with this? Whenever I try to solo fast (and sometimes even when not fast), I get messy and hit strings and stuff. Help?
Sending a dummy to my God.

Quote by protest000
Yeah, can somebody help me out with this? Whenever I try to solo fast (and sometimes even when not fast), I get messy and hit strings and stuff. Help?

You need to slow down and start from a tempo you play cleanly at. Simple enough.
I think he means he doesn't know how to mute unwanted strings when he plays, the video helps with that ^

and you should listen to what hoffman said, gradually increase your speed that u can play clean at.
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak
The basics -

timing
muting
alternate picking
vibrato
bends
sync between your hands
sliding/shifting positions cleanly and easily
working knowledge of theory

Things like tapping, sweep picking, and so on, are optional extras.

If you look at the playing of a guitarist with very advanced skills, the biggest thing that separates them from an average or good guitarist is that they've got the basic skills down absolutely rock solid.
^012101 sums it up
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS