Hi guys, i was wondering what I can do to smooth out my guitar's distortion tone. I frequently play chords on the higher strings and even when I solo i stick chords in them- i currently have a crunchy sounding distortion which doesn't sound too pleasant and I need it smoothed. Im running a MIM Strat through a Peavey Windsor

What i'm thinking of doing is either changing the EL34 tubes in 6L6's, changing the pickups, buying a compressor, increasing the mids and bass settings on the amp, or playing more on the neck and middle pickups on the strat- or a combination of any- what do you guys think?
neck would round it also turn down the treb on the amp
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
A compressor will help smooth things out.
I have that amp and I've found that most of the harshness comes from the cheap speakers that Peavey includes with it. I have found it to sound pretty good with an EQ pedal. I was able to dial out some of the fizzyness and round out the harsh trebs and mids. You can get EQ pedals for as little as $30 and IMO they're worth every penny.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I have that amp and I've found that most of the harshness comes from the cheap speakers that Peavey includes with it.

Would anyone happen to know how to open the cab lol it doesen't open from the back
Try the bottom, some amps unscrew from there.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
You'd be better off buying a new cab rather than changing the speakers... it'd be more expensive to put new speakers in the Windsor cab than it would be to get a better 2x12.

What I do to get a smoother tone is to boost the mids and reduce the treble; neck pickup helps too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??