Taking the form someone else used...

Genres: Metal [Mostly black, progressive], Jazz, Classical, Fingerstyle [Andy McKee, Thomas Leeb type stuff].
Main genre: Black Metal, Progressive Metal
Is Versatility important: Yes
My influences: Main ones are Death, Drudkh, Negura Bunget, Artefact, Irrwisch, Blut Aus Nord, Opeth, Insomnium, Swallow the Sun, Jason Becker...
Channels: 3-4
Do I gig?: Starting to
Condition: New, probably.

I've been looking around, and am pretty set on the Engl Invader 100, but if you all can suggest amps that might serve me just as well, fire away. Obviously, keep it tube amps. That's one of the thing I like about the Invader, most natural tube sound of any Engl I've heard.

The catch? I dont want a 6505 or 5150 or Peavey of any type. And I've never been all that psyched with Mesa.
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Aug 14, 2009,
budget would help some

i've herd good things about the new peavey 3120
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Mesa Roadster is awesome! Orange Rockerverb is great but may not be as overly saturated as you may like. Jim Root from Slipknot does play them tho. Peavey 6505 is very popular with the metal crowd as well. Personally for metal I like the Mesa Roadster. But if all you are into is super scooped tones than look elsewhere. For those who dont know what real tone is, they wont like it. Just listen to Killswitch Engage's album As Daylight Dies. Most of the tones on there are from Roadsters. It has the most personality of all of them. Its okay if you dont like it, but if you cant tell why the tone is so special, I'd wait until your ear is a little better trained. You dont wanna shell out $2K and not like it in 2 months would you?
Quote by lespaul90
Mesa Roadster is awesome! Orange Rockerverb is great but may not be as overly saturated as you may like. Jim Root from Slipknot does play them tho. Peavey 6505 is very popular with the metal crowd as well. Personally for metal I like the Mesa Roadster. But if all you are into is super scooped tones than look elsewhere. For those who dont know what real tone is, they wont like it. Just listen to Killswitch Engage's album As Daylight Dies. Most of the tones on there are from Roadsters. It has the most personality of all of them. Its okay if you dont like it, but if you cant tell why the tone is so special, I'd wait until your ear is a little better trained. You dont wanna shell out $2K and not like it in 2 months would you?

...Did you even bother to read my influences? KsE is pretty much a third rate At the Gates clone, with the odd clean chorus thrown in... And Slipknot is pretty much **** in every respect.

Not to mention, none of those are even remotely similar to my influences. None.
Oh so you like ultra scooped high gain tones that only sound kinda cool in your bedroom and NEVER in a band mix? Gotchya. Come back to me when you've appreciate real tone and not blast-beating death metal that has no artistic merit whatsoever. I looked up your influences and there is no note definition at all! I got better tone out of my crate 15w practice amp! There, you want an amp like them? Go buy a crate 15w practice amp. You want real practical tone that will satisfy you for a lifetime? BUY an amp that good bands (KSE, As I Lay Dying, Dream Theater) use.

P.S. I dont like slipknot either just lettin u know Orange amps can do metal.
...Again. Did you even bother to listen to Opeth, Insomnium, Swallow the Sun or Jason Becker? Sounds like you only listened to Irrwisch and Drudkh, if that. Dont even go there with artistic merit card. Music is not a competition. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean it doesnt have merit.

And just because they're influences doesnt mean I want to copy their tone. They all have aspects that I like. The tone that I want though, is not a tone that is used by every goddamn metalcore/hardcore/deathcore band in existence. So many of those bands play 5150's, Powerballs or what have you, and its tiring.

Also. I said main influences. That doesnt mean I'm not influenced by anything else. Al Dimeola, Shawn Lane, Joscho Stephan, Anubis Gate, Thin Lizzy, Cynic, Be'lakor... They've all influenced me in some way.

Come back when you realize that I dont have to conform to your tastes, and have something not completely idiotic to say.

From the videos I've watched on youtube and the amps I've played, the Engl Invader sounds the best, and gets the tone that I want.
you ever look into orange amps? Swallow the sun uses those, and they have an awesome sound. ENGL is awesome to, id suggest either of those
Quote by lespaul90
Oh so you like ultra scooped high gain tones that only sound kinda cool in your bedroom and NEVER in a band mix? Gotchya. Come back to me when you've appreciate real tone and not blast-beating death metal that has no artistic merit whatsoever. I looked up your influences and there is no note definition at all! I got better tone out of my crate 15w practice amp! There, you want an amp like them? Go buy a crate 15w practice amp. You want real practical tone that will satisfy you for a lifetime? BUY an amp that good bands (KSE, As I Lay Dying, Dream Theater) use.

P.S. I dont like slipknot either just lettin u know Orange amps can do metal.

Thats productive.

Well, early Chuck Shuldiner used the Ampeg VH-140C (SS is the same preamp). They are very nice amps, especially for the price. Does black metal really well too. Newer Death has the JCM900 (Symbolic and thereafter). Much cheaper than any Engl too.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Burning_Angel
...Again. Did you even bother to listen to Opeth, Insomnium, Swallow the Sun or Jason Becker? Sounds like you only listened to Irrwisch and Drudkh, if that. Dont even go there with artistic merit card. Music is not a competition. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean it doesnt have merit.

And just because they're influences doesnt mean I want to copy their tone. They all have aspects that I like. The tone that I want though, is not a tone that is used by every goddamn metalcore/hardcore/deathcore band in existence. So many of those bands play 5150's, Powerballs or what have you, and its tiring.

Also. I said main influences. That doesnt mean I'm not influenced by anything else. Al Dimeola, Shawn Lane, Joscho Stephan, Anubis Gate, Thin Lizzy, Cynic, Be'lakor... They've all influenced me in some way.

Come back when you realize that I dont have to conform to your tastes, and have something not completely idiotic to say.

From the videos I've watched on youtube and the amps I've played, the Engl Invader sounds the best, and gets the tone that I want.

you try out a VHT (now called Fryette) Sig:X, Deliverance 120, or Pitbull? all great amps that are extremely versatile and sound great at nearly any music style you play through them.
My Band: Throat Hammer (Blackened Thrash)

BLACKSTAR* BRIGADE

AMT ARMY- SSG SLAUGHTER

Blackstar HT100 & 4-12-Fulltone O.C.D./AMT P1-Jackson RR24RM (EMG 81 in bridge)-Ibanez RG321/SD Blackouts