Hey all

Lately I've been wanting to learn some theory and as a start I want to learn my way around the fretboard.. I watched Freepower's vid on learning the fretboard and it really all makes sense to me, i completely understand everything and I find it easy even

But my question is... Using this knowledge, should I stop learning scales as fingering patterns and start learning them as notes and find out where those notes are using my knowledge of the fretboard or should I still learn them as patterns and not as notes?

Sorry if this sounds confusing but... I can't think of any other way to word it xD

Thanks in advance
Learn them as both - the more ways you can look at them the better you will understand them. If you know the patterns, know the notes and understand the intervals you'll be way ahead of a lot of people on here
Quote by zhilla
Learn them as both - the more ways you can look at them the better you will understand them. If you know the patterns, know the notes and understand the intervals you'll be way ahead of a lot of people on here

Hmyeh I guess you got a point there:p My biggest worry is that learning them as both might end up confusing the hell out of me:s
Quote by Gego
Hmyeh I guess you got a point there:p My biggest worry is that learning them as both might end up confusing the hell out of me:s

You'll learn the patterns as patterns of notes rather than patterns of frets if you do both. This is better than just patterns. Learning just patterns almost boxes you in. Unfortunately I learnt patterns, not notes and it's taking some time to break out from them.
So finish learning them one way then learn them th other way

If you are learning the patterns carry on, but learn the notes of the neck at the same time if you haven't already.

Then check you know where all the root notes are - using the patterns and your knowledge of intervals to find unisons and octaves, and your knowledge of the note names.

Then do the same for the root of the relative major or minor scale (depending on which you started with)

Then do the same for 5th and 3rds etc

Give yourself a chance to absorb each step, and it should all add up to make a whole lot of sense, rather than confusing you each step should make things a little bit clearer.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
You'll learn the patterns as patterns of notes rather than patterns of frets if you do both. This is better than just patterns. Learning just patterns almost boxes you in. Unfortunately I learnt patterns, not notes and it's taking some time to break out from them.

Good point Guess I know what to spend all my time on now lol:p
Quote by zhilla

+1

a broad perspective makes for a better understanding.
shred is gaudy music