OK, this may ahve already been asked or talked about so if it is, please send me in the right direction. Anyway, I have a MIM Strat. It works just fine for me, but I'm looking to do some upgrading to it, hopefully within the next few months. So my question is, is there much difference between an American or MIM strat aside from the pickups? I wanna put some new pickups in mine, but if that wouldn't make a big enough impact that it was still not as good as an American strat, then I wont waste the money on upgrades, and just save for a homegrown one. So what differences are there between the two aside from the pickups?
from purist point of view, higher grain of woods are used, 1 extra fret, better pickups, oh yeah, made in california 20-30 miles away from the factory that makes mexican strats.
i have a mim strat that i am just in love with. While i know the amerian series ones are going to be made higher quality, i still love my mim. It is an incredible value; the value of the mexican standard series cannot be denied. I would love to own a USA strat sometime when the money is right, but I will never part with my mim strat.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

It all depends. The American Strats are generally better constructed, using slightly higher quality woods and components. However MIM Strats are still fantastic instruments. If you take your time looking at MIM Strats you will eventually find one that sounds and feels just as good as an American made Strat.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by funkymonkz
It all depends. The American Strats are generally better constructed, using slightly higher quality woods and components. However MIM Strats are still fantastic instruments. If you take your time looking at MIM Strats you will eventually find one that sounds and feels just as good as an American made Strat.

That's true, but if you take your time looking at American Strats you will eventually find one that completely destroys that MIM strat
Gear
Bogner Alchemist
Fender Eric Johnson Signature Strat
Fender ESM-10 Mini-Jumbo
BC Rich NJ Bich
Quote by stratman7
American Deluxe Strats are where the real difference starts.
This. American Standard Strats aren't even worth thinking about once you realise 1) how much better the Am Deluxe Strats are and 2) how little the price difference is between an Am Standard and Am Deluxe.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
OK, thanks guys. I wanna change the pickups on my MIM to Custom Shop '69 Pickups for blues and 60's-70's rock so I think the imperfections that would be present simply because my start is MIM, would not really make it a bad setup, if not even make it a bit more of 'my own.' I'm also thinking of getting a HSS start for some punk, n its sounds like the Am Deluxe is the way to go. Any other differences I should know about or am missing?
Quote by MrFlibble
This. American Standard Strats aren't even worth thinking about once you realise 1) how much better the Am Deluxe Strats are and 2) how little the price difference is between an Am Standard and Am Deluxe.

actually right now the price gap is more pronounced. an american std at gc is 915, just a little over a grand after tax. but they left the deluxe at 1699 before tax. i definitely looked at the deluxes, but couldnt justify paying over 75% more. especially considering the color schemes to choose from....nauseating.
I just purchased a American Standard Strat really nice guitar if you have the money it's worth it. But if you can live without one then just switch the pickups.
Get a MIM Strat, upgrade the pickups, tuners and bridge and you will have a very nice guitar. It will certainly sound better than an American.
Quote by The Chimney Man
Get a MIM Strat, upgrade the pickups, tuners and bridge and you will have a very nice guitar. It will certainly sound better than an American.

Whats wrong with the Tuners and Bridge? I want to change them to gold along with the rest of the metal hardware so it will be all black n gold, but whats the downfall to the standard ones on a MIM?
go japan, you can get a 57 reissued CIJ strat that looks identical to the eric johnson one, but with texas special pickups. for around 600-700
Quote by rage24684
Whats wrong with the Tuners and Bridge? I want to change them to gold along with the rest of the metal hardware so it will be all black n gold, but whats the downfall to the standard ones on a MIM?

No they're ok, but if you get locking tuners, then you will get much better tuning stability when using the whammy bar.

But you can get a Fender Mexican Stratocaster, new pickups, bridge and locking tuners for quite a bit less than a Fender American Stratocaster.
Ok, so since there seems to be a resounding favoritism for the Am Deluxe over the Am Standard, what are the big differences between those two models?
A MIM with CS '69,imo opinion is better than the American Std.Those pickups are absolutely beautiful.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb