Hey all, I've been playing my amp for a few months now, and recently it started giving me a kinda whoosh noise every now and again. It seems to cut the volume alot too while playing, but comes back on. I bought it used, and when I first bought it, the knobs made a scratchy noise when turned, probably because they had some dirt/grim/whatever in them. I never bothered to clean them, because it eventually went away, is this potentially my problem? My amp is an old Peavey Transtube. I made sure and checked all the cables and pedals, and its definitely the amp or guitar making the noise.

Is there anything else I can check or change, or should I just bring it to a tech?
Transtube is a solidstate amp right? I'd take it to a tech. It's probably more trouble than its worth though.

Try making sure the jack on the guitar is good and secure also.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
could also be the connection from the amp to the speaker causing this problem
Peavey 6505+ Head
Mesa/Boogie Oversized Rectifier 4x12 Cab
Schecter Diamond Series 006
Ibanez SZR720 TGB
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Roland Micro Cube 10watt
I just checked in the open back and one of the circuits connected to the speaker has no soldering/lost whatever was holding it in place. It just hung loosely from the spot it goes to. I'm not sure I feel comfortable soldering it back, especially because I'm not sure that soldering is the answer. That's probably the problem hunh? And based on what else I've said I should also consult a tech, no?
Quote by Quinlan
I just checked in the open back and one of the circuits connected to the speaker has no soldering/lost whatever was holding it in place. It just hung loosely from the spot it goes to. I'm not sure I feel comfortable soldering it back, especially because I'm not sure that soldering is the answer. That's probably the problem hunh? And based on what else I've said I should also consult a tech, no?

I would let someone who knows what they are doing resolder the wire if you don't feel comfortable doing so. If that means taking it to a tech then make sure you explain to him/her that you only want the speaker resoldered and nothing else (I've had some bad experiences with techs doing more than what they were asked and ending up with a huge bill).

After the speaker is reconnected try it out. If the problem persists have a tech look for further problems. Normally I would say trash it and get a new amp because it can be a long, complicated, and costly process trying to diagnose an SS amp; however, the Peavey Transtube series are pretty amazing amps, imo, and I honestly think it would definitely be worth the money to fix.