Do ohms affect loudness?

Is a 4 ohm amp plugged into an 8 ohm speaker louder than a 4 ohm amp plugged into a 16 ohm speaker?
"teh most gains"
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I've been told that you should always matchs ohms on amp and cab
Match ohms.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by mountain2012
Do ohms affect loudness?

Is a 4 ohm amp plugged into an 8 ohm speaker louder than a 4 ohm amp plugged into a 16 ohm speaker?

I had some guy jumping all over me a few weeks ago for the answer I gave.. but here goes.

In theory when you have two speakers with the same rated efficienciency plugged into the 4ohm amp the 8 ohm speaker will be louder than the 16 ohm, but a 4 ohm would be loudest. In real life there are so many variables and if you consider a speaker rated at 112db/watt will be pretty darned loud with just one watt of power, my answer is just try it and see.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Aug 13, 2009,
Even with matching ohms, is a 4 ohm amp into a 4 ohm speaker louder than an 8 ohm amp into an 8 ohm speaker?
"teh most gains"
Quote by mountain2012
Even with matching ohms, is a 4 ohm amp into a 4 ohm speaker louder than an 8 ohm amp into an 8 ohm speaker?

For two amps of the same rated power? No.

I used to have some 2 ohm planar speakers rated at 84dB/watt plugged into a 250 watt tube amp. I also had some 103dB/watt 8 ohm Klipsch speakers plugged into a 20 watt amp. The Klipsch system was WAAAAY louder.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Aug 13, 2009,
On(off) topic, and sorry if I hi-jack your thread, but why can't you use say, an 8ohm speaker cabinet in a 16ohm output?

Why do you need to be especially careful with tube amps? I thought it was just the pre-amp and power section that is different from a SS amp, (probably among other things), but it's the output transformer that's affected, no?

Cheers,

-J
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
SS amps higher ohms usually cuts your output power, 4 ohm amp into 8 ohm speaker will usually give less volume than a 4 ohm load would. Tube amps have the output transformer so dont respond the same way a SS amp will. Tubes as long as the speaker ohms match the correct jack the volume should be the same for each load. Still best to match your ohms.