I currently have a Laguna LE122. It will be 2 years old this Christmas. I'm 13 and in a band. Our band is getting good, but not great. I feel like my current guitar isn't good enough for what I'm doing. Anyway, I heard that I could sell the guitar for around $120. My dad is out of a job. My rents would probably pay $100 and so would I. So my budget is $300 - $350. Can I get a decent guitar with a Floyd Rose or other Locking Tremelo in that price range??? Also, if I whammy a lot, does it also have to have a Locking Nut and Locking Tuners to stay in tune, or just the Locking Tremelo. Thanks!!!
yea, thats a pretty good one, but u might want to change out pickups eventually, ive got a esp-ltd mh-50 and its held up great, but i changed the pickups for a seymour duncan distortion and a jazz. although if u buy another cheap guitar your just gonna want to buy another one in a few years, unless the guitar is that bad. btw, what amp do u have?
I've heard of Floyd Roses on the cheaper guitar models being terrible, and wearing out fast. It's not worth all the trouble it would bring you, so you should probably avoid Floyds until you can expand your budget to $500 or more.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
Quote by The Red Comet
I've heard of Floyd Roses on the cheaper guitar models being terrible, and wearing out fast. It's not worth all the trouble it would bring you, so you should probably avoid Floyds until you can expand your budget to $500 or more.

ive got a cheap ltd with a floyd rose and its fine, ive never had any problems with it.
The new LTD's below the deluxe series have the Floyd Rose Special, which is made to the same specs as an OFR and made out of the same materials, other than a Zinc sustain block, so look into those if you want a good Floyd Rose for cheap.

Also, don't get the 30 watt Spider, get a Peavey Vypyr for the same price
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
@goodtimes, the sound is o.k. but i feel like i need a better guitar. idk wat it is, but i just feel more comfortable on an ESP. i mainly want a locking tremelo but since i play Metallica, AC/DC, and Van Halen, i think the ESP fits me better
Quote by Lagunaguitar
line 6 spider iii 15W. thinkin of upgrading that to a 30W eventualy

Dont do it!

spiders might sound good to you now, but in a year or two, it will sound like **** to you.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Yea definetely don't get a spider
GEAR

1966 MUSTANG

valveking 112

markley tuner
Ernie Ball Wah
digitech whammy
fulltone ocd
usa big muff
boss dd7
boss rc-2

Quote by simpleben09
You sir have a mean ass rig. Have a great day.
so do u need a locking nut or not to keep the guitar in tune after whammying a lot???
Quote by Lagunaguitar
so do u need a locking nut or not to keep the guitar in tune after whammying a lot???

If you are asking this question you should probably avoid a Floyd Rose guitar

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

Quote by Lagunaguitar
im a noob. someone answer. not give me crap

im trying to help you. There's a lot of pain that goes into Floyd Roses, that need to be seriously researched before considering getting a guitar with one.

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

not at all.

this is a better one http://www.beyondeleven.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Gotoh-floyd-rose
but i stand by my previous statement

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

Quote by Lagunaguitar

You do need a locking nut, Otherwise the guitar will go out of tune easily. And like other people said, It's hard to find a nice tremolo on a guitar for around $300. Maybe try a Jackson, They're LFR's are usually pretty decent.

Quote by TheLetheProject
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Laguna-LE422-Electric-Guitar?sku=515717

If you like your current guitar, get this. I've heard good things about Lagunas, and I'm pretty sure the trem's locking.

It's not locking, It's pretty much like vintage strat trem.

Quote by Lagunaguitar
do u mean not good or not a rip-off

I think it's a pretty decent deal, but make sure it will fit in your guitar before you buy it. Does your guitar already have a tremolo?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Aug 13, 2009,
Try some Ibanez RG models, or ESP LTD's. Some Edge III's on the RG's are good, some are bad. Mine is starting to crap out on me, and I bought it used and have owned it for 8 months now. For all I know, it could be a few years old.

And to answer your question, typically a locking tremolo means that it locks at the bridge, and at the nut. Some good tremolo bridges that aren't floating are the Wilkinson. If you pair that up with some good locking tuners, you'll be able to whammy your heart out and still be in tune.

And please, please, please, PLEASE do not get the Spider 30 watt. Get the Peavey Vypyr 30 watt. It's fantastic amp, and I consider it the best of all the modeling amps out there.
Last edited by TatarSalad2 at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by Lagunaguitar
do u mean not good or not a rip-off

not good. go with the one i posted. much better, its on par with OFR quality

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

Dont get Ibanez's RG. The Edge III's might seem nice at first, but soon enough they'll crap out on you and make string changing very hard.
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Quote by biga29
Does your guitar already have a tremolo?

yes, it has a cheap tremolo that comes with it
do you really need a guitar with a trem. To be honest, unless you're going to be playing songs with it and utilising it a lot of the time, i highly advise you to not get a guitar with a trem.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Aug 13, 2009,
Okay.

First of all I'd say stick with your guitar and upgrade your amp. You say your band is getting pretty good, so I'm going to assume you're going to start, or already are, playing gigs. In that case a 15 watt Spider III won't cut it. I'd recommend getting a B-52 AT112.

Or, if you are absolutely in dire need of getting a new guitar, I would recommend staying away from a locking trem. They are annoying. They are frustrating. They need to be researched and practiced on in order to get them to not be annoying and frustrating. Instead of getting a guitar with a locking trem, I'd look at the Ibanez RG3EXFM1.

Or, if you are in dire need of a new guitar, and for some reason absolutely need a locking trem, I would recommend an ESP MH 103 if you're going to use the trem a lot, or an Ibanez RG350DX if you're not. Don't expect incredible tuning stability from either of these though. The Edge III on the Ibanez will get worn out knife edges after extended use and abuse, and will fall out of tune after whammy use. The Floyd Rose Special on the MH 103 will hold up a little better, but is still no high class trem.
Strats & Seagulls
GO USED. I swear to god I can't stress that enough. You'll get a better guitar or amp for the same price as long as you don't get one in shiitty condition
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
I think i found a solution... sell my current guitar. I read that the (Laguna) 322s and 422s have Wilkinson tremolos. They do not lock, but the tuners are self-locking. Reviews say that with moderate to heavy whammying, it stays in tune pretty well. I will not have to go thru the pain of Floyd Rose. I also like the feel and looks of laguna. Any last comments on my desicsion?
Quote by Metlhead443
not good. go with the one i posted. much better, its on par with OFR quality

It also costs more then twice as much, For $60 bucks, that's about as nice as they come...

But TS, Don't buy an FR unless you have a guitar your sure it will fit in.

Quote by Lagunaguitar
yes, it has a cheap tremolo that comes with it

Just because it has a trem, doesn't mean it's the right routing for an FR, take it to a shop and let them check it out.

Quote by Lagunaguitar
I think i found a solution... sell my current guitar. I read that the (Laguna) 322s and 422s have Wilkinson tremolos. They do not lock, but the tuners are self-locking. Reviews say that with moderate to heavy whammying, it stays in tune pretty well. I will not have to go thru the pain of Floyd Rose. I also like the feel and looks of laguna. Any last comments on my desicsion?

It doesn't matter what the review says, Don't buy it expecting to go crazy on the trem unless it has locking tuners. It will go out of tune.

EDIT: I just looked at the guitar, It does have locking tuners, so it might stay in tune a little better, But that kind of tremolo is called a "Vintage Tremolo". It's the kind of trem that comes on strats. It can only be pushed down, unlike a Floyd, which is "Double-Locking" And can go both ways.

So only buy it knowing that the trem only goes one way.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Aug 14, 2009,