i try to join a band?

ive been playing for about 2 years but in that time ive mostly been learning from tabs or just learning bits and pieces from songs, should i just learn some basic theory and go from there?
this depends on what you want your band to do. having a few covers that everyone can do is a great place to start, but the most important things are to practice writing music and practice improvising. so besides coming up with riffs, listen to a radio station you dont often listen to (maybe blues, country,anything else moderately slow) and practice learning what notes fit over what they're playing and just solo over whatever's on even though you've never heard it. thats a great way to learn improv skills. if you can do both of those, then you're set.
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Basic theory would be good, enough so that you can play solos/leads in a chord progression and form said chord progression. Being able to play a couple songs all the way through wouldn't hurt, to build a bit of endurance.
I assume you're a guitarist and not a drummer/singer :p

know basic chord shapes, major, minor, barre chords, power chords. knowing you major scale is invaluable as well. you will pick up so much in your first band in such a short space of time, i say don't worry too much and go for it.

you auditioning for an existing band or starting your own? what sort of music do you play.

EDIT: don't try and come into your first band as a lead player, you're unlikely to have the experience/stage presence to pull that off at first, slot in as a really solid rhythm player till you've built up some more confidence and learnt how bands work, a lead player needs to know not just what to play but the feel of the whole group and that takes a long time to pick up.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Aug 13, 2009,
Keeping time. I can tell you the reason why 3 of my bands failed is because a majority of the members could not keep a solid tempo for very long. If you can't keep a tempo no matter what speed, I suggest not joining up with anybody.
Quote by Phat Stud 55
Keeping time. I can tell you the reason why 3 of my bands failed is because a majority of the members could not keep a solid tempo for very long. If you can't keep a tempo no matter what speed, I suggest not joining up with anybody.

i second this. always practice with a metronome when you have no one else to play with.
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Understanding the basics of modes will help your improvising and writing skills immensly. I'm saying even understanding the basics will do wonders to your mindset when writing music.
You start to piece together where you can play when the rhythm is at a certain spot on the fretboard, you'll know what root notes to focus on when you're in a certain key and so on. I think modes is the best guitar knowledge I've acquired to date since I've started playing guitar. It can be quite a hard concept to grasp though.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
in all honesty, there is no need to know modes before joining your first band i would bet a significant amount of money a first band you join will not know how to properly use modes, so you are wasting valuable time that could be spent on the massive learning curve of band music by learning it before you join.

1)Learn major/minor barre chords + power chords. Learn your major scale
2)JOIN A BAND!
3)Accept that this band will probably not work out/go anywhere and just do it for fun, enjoy the ride, meet new people, maybe play a horribly underplanned unplugged night in slightly smelly downtown bar, but have a fun time while doing it.

From there you are in a position to join serious bands and learn more complicated music theory to write better songs and maybe go somewhere musically.

It is rare that i would recommend not learning too much theory, but if it is going to hold you back from joining a band and the MASSIVE learning experience that goes with it then i would

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Keeping time and practicing the songs is all you need, in a general sense. Some bands will end up using more theory, some won't. But unless you know your songs, and can play them in time, you'll fail each and every time.

Do you have any buddies that play? It would certainly help to play with your friends at first. Not only is it less stressful, but you'll be able to develop a sort of ESP that will really help the band. I played with the same drummer for years, with a couple different bands. Now anytime we play together, we can make eye contact and have a really good idea what's next without saying anything. If my tempo is a little off (as happens when I sing and play without a bass player), he'll ride a symbol or something for a measure so I can find the pocket again.

Playing lead in your first band isn't necessarily a bad idea - it depends on your playing skills and style. I've never had a really steady rhythm ... if left to my own devices, I tend to play three measures of 4/4 and then a measure of 3/4. But I'm very good at finding harmonies, inversions, and other funky stuff to add to the song.

In my first band I wrote about 2/3rds of the music, and let the bassist and other guitar player handle rhythm. I did some leads and some singing. I was plenty capable of playing rhythm under the other guy's solos when I wasn't singing. While making the least experienced guy your frontman seems like a dumbass idea, I was basically the icing on the cake. My talents made it as good at it was, but it was still a cake if I dropped the ball. For my second band I had a singer and did rhythm myself, and it wasn't nearly as good. I wrote all the music, but I was bothered that I didn't get to play inversions and 'vibe' parts that I like. So for my third band, I went back to Plan A.
Quote by doive
I assume you're a guitarist and not a drummer/singer :p

know basic chord shapes, major, minor, barre chords, power chords. knowing you major scale is invaluable as well. you will pick up so much in your first band in such a short space of time, i say don't worry too much and go for it.

you auditioning for an existing band or starting your own? what sort of music do you play.

EDIT: don't try and come into your first band as a lead player, you're unlikely to have the experience/stage presence to pull that off at first, slot in as a really solid rhythm player till you've built up some more confidence and learnt how bands work, a lead player needs to know not just what to play but the feel of the whole group and that takes a long time to pick up.

The stuff in bold, plus improvisation and a few covers.
Skip the username, call me Billy
if you're in a first band with people who have past band experience you don't need to be able to improvise all that well. Plus the best way to learn how to improvise is to be in a band! so even if you're not so confident on improv join with some friends and get rocking!

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Going into my first band (im 16) I learned a lot, I found out you need to know the major scale pattern to even think about writing solos. And I have been practicing stage presence. Now im in like my 3rd band and im getting everything together. I would join or start your first band it is a huge help to give you that extra push to learn these things you need to know.
Any scale pattern you are going to want to know, arpeggios are a good thing to know too!!!!