Yes another Les Paul thread today, I was gonna ask this today anyways so..

Why is the Les Paul so popular among guitarists? Practically every group a listen to uses or used one at least once in their career. Is it because Gibson Approaches the artists and hooks them up with a endorsement before they try any other brands? I know the Les Paul is a great guitar, I own one and I really like it. I also own a few other guitars, like a RG and a V Style guitar. They also play great or depending on what I'm doing, better than my Les Paul. Great guitar, don't get me wrong, it's just why do so many use them?
Well it's an iconic and historic design for one. They have a distinctive tone to them as well, and many love the styling. Gibsons happen to be the original brand for this shape, so they're more well known than other LP shaped guitars.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
Quote by The Red Comet
Well it's an iconic and historic design for one. They have a distinctive tone to them as well, and many love the styling. Gibsons happen to be the original brand for this shape, so they're more well known than other LP shaped guitars.

I fnd that early 70's japanese les pauls are more famous in my area (man I wish I had one )
It's interesting to think, "Why is (insert thing) popular?" I've never found an answer to that question.

The Les Paul DOES have a distinctive look and sound, though.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
When people refer to other similar guitars, I usually hear them say "Les Paul shaped." That's a great sign of it's fame. It's similar to how people refer to guitars as Strat shaped.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
I have no idea. People drool over them and everyone wants one. It's sort of annoying. Go for something less well known and overpriced and make it popular .

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by MetalGS3SE
I have no idea. People drool over them and everyone wants one. It's sort of annoying. Go for something less well known and overpriced and make it popular .

Like PRS back in the late 80's when they started

And I see that you live in North Carolina and like prog metalgs3se. I also live in NC and like prog
Quote by darkcheef
Like PRS back in the late 80's when they started

And I see that you live in North Carolina and like prog metalgs3se. I also live in NC and like prog

Well then you and I should get together. There are very few of us around here that appreciate good music .

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
The Les Paul happens to be one of those guitars that looks and sounds great in any genre of music. If you are playing Punk, Metal, Jazz, Blues, Country, Ska, or anything else, the Les Paul just seems to fit: it never looks like it is "out of place." Additionally, the sound you can get out of a Les Paul is very versatile and can be used for just about anything.

As for its popularity, it is known as a well-made highly playable guitar that can give you the sound that you want. Even people who know nothing about guitars consider a Les Paul to be a great guitar. There are so many guitarists who have used one at least once in their career. Naturally, when a great guitarist plays a guitar, his fans are going to be more apt to want a Les Paul, because their idol plays one.

Simply put: the Les Paul has developed a reputation as a versatile, dependable and great sounding guitar. Such a reputation is going to attract buyers.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Well then you and I should get together. There are very few of us around here that appreciate good music .
I dislike prog.

Well I'll put it this way.

Les Paul (RIP) liked it enough to put his name on the design.

And a guitar NOT designed for rock music ended up being perfectly suited for it.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I like saying that LPs are like Converses: They're expensive, iconic, fit in every occasion, and although I always think about getting one, I never do because I realize that everyone has them.
Quote by pixysticks
I like saying that LPs are like Converses: They're expensive , iconic, fit in every occasion, and although I always think about getting one, I never do because I realize that everyone has them.

I hope you mean Nike, because around 80% of converses near me only cost $30-$50. Then nikes cost $90-$225.
Quote by darkcheef
I hope you mean Nike, because around 80% of converses near me only cost $30-$50. Then nikes cost $90-$225.

Yes but only a few years ago they were like $20. I paid $20 for my first pair, and that was only like 2003.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Because it's the guitar that started it all.
generally considered to be the world's first solid body electric guitar.

almost half of today's electric guitars are modeled on Les Paul's design;
including SG, Flying V, Explorer, Telecaster, Viper etc
I love white guitars!
Les Paul past away today btw.. :'(
Last edited by striker327 at Aug 14, 2009,
Because it's awesome! Before I got my first guitar, I was kind of set on the Ibanez Jet King, looked distinctive enough from the rest, and had a great sound! Then I was suggested to try out a Vintage V100(okay, not an LP, but almost ), and I instantly fell in love with it. It's just that they're so great, almost everyone wants one!
Quote by aBONiE
Because it's awesome! Before I got my first guitar, I was kind of set on the Ibanez Jet King, looked distinctive enough from the rest, and had a great sound! Then I was suggested to try out a Vintage V100(okay, not an LP, but almost ), and I instantly fell in love with it. It's just that they're so great, almost everyone wants one!

Vintages are really good. The Peter Green Les Paul is an amazing guitar as well.

It's really because, along with the Strat and the Tele, they shaped the mould for music and all that. They are great sounding guitars as well, which is cool.

Yeah.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Xeron Brigs
The Les Paul happens to be one of those guitars that looks and sounds great in any genre of music. If you are playing Punk, Metal, Jazz, Blues, Country, Ska, or anything else, the Les Paul just seems to fit: it never looks like it is "out of place." Additionally, the sound you can get out of a Les Paul is very versatile and can be used for just about anything.

that's exactly what i was thinking. i think too few people realise the les paul's potential as it's so much of an iconic rock guitar people have forgotten that through a clean fender amp with the bridge pickup, you'll get a good chickin'-pickin' country twang, and the neck pickup is pure jazz through just about any clean setting. flick the switch to the central position and you've got a bright yet fat, choppy ska tone.

i think it's versatile because it's the guitar that sounds most like what they all thought a guitar should sound like before people started experimenting with new sounds. maybe the aformentioned "they" were right?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Eat_0n_Kent

the tele was out before the lp, and rickenbacker sold the first electic guitars in 1932, solid bodies in 1935, 15 years before the les paul came out.

Quote by Blompcube
that's exactly what i was thinking. i think too few people realise the les paul's potential as it's so much of an iconic rock guitar people have forgotten that through a clean fender amp with the bridge pickup, you'll get a good chickin'-pickin' country twang, and the neck pickup is pure jazz through just about any clean setting. flick the switch to the central position and you've got a bright yet fat, choppy ska tone.

i think it's versatile because it's the guitar that sounds most like what they all thought a guitar should sound like before people started experimenting with new sounds. maybe the aformentioned "they" were right?

Last edited by pak1351 at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by Eat_0n_Kent

What? The tele came out like 3 years before the les paul. The tele was the first solid body guitar mass produced so not the first solid body electric either.
Quote by pak1351
the tele was out before the lp, and rickenbacker sold the first electic guitars in 1932, 18 years before the les paul came out

the early solidbody rickenbackers were lap steels. i don't think rickenbacker started making solidbodies until after the les paul - the rickenbackers were neck-thru, too!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
the early solidbody rickenbackers were lap steels. i don't think rickenbacker started making solidbodies until after the les paul - the rickenbackers were neck-thru, too!

no, they made spanish-style as well
In 1935 the company introduced several new models including the Model "B" Electric Spanish guitar which is considered the first solid body electric guitar

off wikipedia
Despite the popularity of arch tops, the 1935 Bakelite Model B Spanish guitar made the most history for Rickenbacker. Though not entirely solid (it had thick plastic walls and a detachable Spanish neck), it achieved the desired result-virtual elimination of the acoustic feedback that plagued big-box electrics of the day. It set the stage for all solid body guitars to follow, even though it was difficult to play sitting down on the bandstand
off the rickenbacker site

Either way, the lp came out after the tele and wasn't the first solid-body electric
Quote by pak1351
no, they made spanish-style as well

off wikipedia
off the rickenbacker site

Either way, the lp came out after the tele and wasn't the first solid-body electric

well.. we learn something new every day

Quote by pixysticks
I like saying that LPs are like Converses: They're expensive, iconic, fit in every occasion, and although I always think about getting one, I never do because I realize that everyone has them.

This is SO TRUE.

Anyway, the Les Paul is versatile and playable. It's not really "bound" to any specific genre; it looks modern yet classic.
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
I find it's the versatility. You can get some great sounds with ease either side of the distortion pedal which isn't so easy with a Strat. And you can use the killswitch effect quite well too, which is nearly impossible to do with a Fender toggle switch.
Quote by darkcheef

Exactly. In a shoe related comparison:

Converse= Fender Stratocaster
Nike= Gibson Les Paul

and all of their variations.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Exactly. In a shoe related comparison:

Converse= Fender Stratocaster
Nike= Gibson Les Paul

and all of their variations.
I disagree. The Gibson les paul is the New Balance 990 series. Classic, conservative, and versatile, Nikes are like... Ibanez, always coming out with these fancy new models with space age features for all the metal playing whippersnappers.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I disagree. The Gibson les paul is the New Balance 990 series. Classic, conservative, and versatile, Nikes are like... Ibanez, always coming out with these fancy new models with space age features for all the metal playing whippersnappers.

I beg to differ merely because I love Nike, I'm not a metalhead, and I'm not a fan of Ibanez

However, I actually think Nike is the Gibson of the situation because they keep re-inventing the same shoe over and over again (yes I'm talking to you Air Max hi-tops).

And what, may I ask, is conservative about a Les Paul? Enough binding nto make an acoustic jealous, burst finishes over flamed maple tops, huge pearl inlays and lots of chrome?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by Revol44
I find it's the versatility. You can get some great sounds with ease either side of the distortion pedal which isn't so easy with a Strat. And you can use the killswitch effect quite well too, which is nearly impossible to do with a Fender toggle switch.

Yes, but I think the distortion bit is really opinion. Frankly, I love the sound of an overdriven Strat more than I love the sound of an overdriven Les Paul.

And do you use a killswitch in every song?

And, another thing against LPs here, it's a lot harder to mod and experiment compared to Fenders. As Scott Gorham said:

'Yeah, so I switched (to the Strat) about 15 years ago and you know with strats you're able to shave the necks, put different pick ups in there, paint the damned thing, do anything you want, just bastardise the hell out of it and it’s ok. But with a Les Paul, it’s almost illegal to do any of that stuff because it’s a “we're not worthy” kind of guitar, right? I mean, I’ve got a couple of 59s and they’re all tucked away and I don’t even play them any more. You know, it’s purely just because I like messing with the guitar … it feels better to me and it’s lighter.'

As much as I love Les Pauls, the sound is great, and I'm in love with the 59 neck profile, I have to agree with Scott there.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Well I always thought the same about strats and was like: "Nah, it's all just because of the Fender name, there's nothing special bout them".
Until I really gave them a good try and tried all of the strat models I could find in all local stores.
Then I was fully convinced that there's nothing that sounds and feels like a strat.
I was planning to buy one but I didn't have enough cash...

I'm most certain that this is the case with Les Pauls too (Unique tone,look and feel) but the ridiculous prices of gibsons hold me back and I haven't yet found this Les Paul-love that so many have.

I do LOVE classic Epiphones. I tried a very smashed up Epiphone Olympic from the 60s a while ago and I instantly fell in love with its tone, feel and it's lightness. (Don't know how relevant this is)

I haven't yet played a Les Paul that feels this nice though. And I have tried some of the high end models.
Last edited by Evil_Magician at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by al112987

I find a Nike high Dunks are like Les pauls, you could never have one.... I have 4 different colors of the high dunks
Quote by Lil Macker
Yes, but I think the distortion bit is really opinion. Frankly, I love the sound of an overdriven Strat more than I love the sound of an overdriven Les Paul.

And do you use a killswitch in every song?

And, another thing against LPs here, it's a lot harder to mod and experiment compared to Fenders. As Scott Gorham said:

'Yeah, so I switched (to the Strat) about 15 years ago and you know with strats you're able to shave the necks, put different pick ups in there, paint the damned thing, do anything you want, just bastardise the hell out of it and it’s ok. But with a Les Paul, it’s almost illegal to do any of that stuff because it’s a “we're not worthy” kind of guitar, right? I mean, I’ve got a couple of 59s and they’re all tucked away and I don’t even play them any more. You know, it’s purely just because I like messing with the guitar … it feels better to me and it’s lighter.'

As much as I love Les Pauls, the sound is great, and I'm in love with the 59 neck profile, I have to agree with Scott there.

I always find Strat distortion to be a lot more sprawling and harder to control. But fair enough, to each their own.

And I don't use the killswitch in every song I play, no. But it's a nice little technique I like to play around with sometimes, which I just can't do with a Strat.

One advantage the Strat has over the LP, however, is that I find it a lot more comfortable.
Quote by Revol44
I always find Strat distortion to be a lot more sprawling and harder to control. But fair enough, to each their own.

And I don't use the killswitch in every song I play, no. But it's a nice little technique I like to play around with sometimes, which I just can't do with a Strat.

One advantage the Strat has over the LP, however, is that I find it a lot more comfortable.

I actually play a Strat for the sound and the looks really; I find Les Pauls a lot more comfortable I don't really know why as well
Cam Sampbell's my hero