Page 1 of 2
Hiya.

Unfortunately I didn't get into music college. Basically I lack rhythm, and basic stuff like strumming patterns.

I've sorted it out since then and can play Pinball Wizard, and other basic rhythm songs like Californication (thats pretty much it)

The problem is, I can't think of any other songs to learn. I'm so much into metal, that I can barely think of any chordy songs to learn, so could you guys suggest some please? Anything hard preferably.
the intro for Cyrpts of Eternity by Slayer has a nice rhythm to it, but its not really chordy. Good luck!
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Not really looking for metal songs, thanks though, but my metal playing skills are ok.
Try some stuff by Paramore for some easy pop-punkish stuff. It uses just simple power chords and its easy.

Or just play anything by punk bands
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Just because a daewoo dealership has a tune-up service doesn't mean that the ****ers know what they're doing (no offense to anyone who drives a daewoo. pleas don't torture your little one cylinder engines to mow my lawn and bump into me)
Quote by firefox385
Try some stuff by Paramore for some easy pop-punkish stuff. It uses just simple power chords and its easy.

Or just play anything by punk bands

I used to not like Paramore, but I had to learn one of their songs because my band was doing a cover. For a Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic, a really fun song to play! It's got some good rythmns, especially in the intro/chorus.

Try some Green Day as well.
stuff by the Ramones.
playing acoustic really helped me play beyond the usual powerchords, improved my rhythm and chord transitions
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Have you tried just jamming out on chords? that's pretty much how I practice chords plus a few simple formation exercises.
I second the Paramore suggestion. My rhythm playing's gotten much sharper since I started sitting down with their CDs and working their riffs out. They're not technical wizards nor particularly original, but there's just enough variation to keep it interesting and if nothing else, their rhythm parts are sharp and solid.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I second the Paramore suggestion. My rhythm playing's gotten much sharper since I started sitting down with their CDs and working their riffs out. They're not technical wizards nor particularly original, but there's just enough variation to keep it interesting and if nothing else, their rhythm parts are sharp and solid.

Some of Josh Farro's riffs are quite technical, the end riff to Crushcrushcrush is quite weried. But their rhythm is great especially Misery Business. But personally I do think they are quite original-ish like you said they enough variation to keep their music quite fresh so it doesn't get boring.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
The rhythm guitar parts to a lot of Strokes songs have fast strumming with basic chords. Check out Last Nite and Someday by them.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Try some Metallica, its easy and fun, and is good for rythym
Gear:

Guitar: Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

Piano: Yamaha EA

Microphone: CAD U37
Quote by Tokai09
Some of Josh Farro's riffs are quite technical, the end riff to Crushcrushcrush is quite weried
... ****ing what? It's just a little run up the minor scale. Crushcrushcrush is their third easiest song (Decoy being the easiest and When It Rains the second easiest).
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Ritley
Hiya.

Unfortunately I didn't get into music college. Basically I lack rhythm, and basic stuff like strumming patterns.

I've sorted it out since then and can play Pinball Wizard, and other basic rhythm songs like Californication (thats pretty much it)

The problem is, I can't think of any other songs to learn. I'm so much into metal, that I can barely think of any chordy songs to learn, so could you guys suggest some please? Anything hard preferably.

What are you taking jazz or classical. I'm going the classical root because it fits well with heavy metal. I have 1 year to prepare before college\university but it's going to be hard and I'm just starting learning theory and starting classical guitar lessons in september.

For chordy songs Alice in Chains I just thought of I'm listening to their newest song Check My Brain on youtube right now. :p
Good luck on your quest of becoming a musician I hope I get in but I'm worried.
Quote by MrFlibble
... ****ing what? It's just a little run up the minor scale. Crushcrushcrush is their third easiest song (Decoy being the easiest and When It Rains the second easiest).

I said it was weried not hard. I just said it from a starting guitarists point of view. I don't know why you have to swear about it though it's pretty childish.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Last edited by Tokai09 at Aug 16, 2009,
Alter Bridge has a good mix of strumming patterns, rhythms and fast playing. You will have to change tunings quite often though
Just thinking what I learned with... Nirvana, Sex Pistols for rhythm stuff. Radiohead for stuff that combines both nice and interesting chord work with some wig out lead bits.
Fender Thinline Tele 69' RI --- Gibson SG Special --- Epiphone Dot with Bigsby --- Squier Custom Tele II P90 --- Saga LP kit --- Yamaha FG-403MS acoustic
Oh, try Faster by Manic Street Preachers.

Quote by Tokai09
Oh, try Faster by Manic Street Preachers.

Actually Everything Must Go was a great one to learn with and not too hard.

(edit: I mean the album)
Fender Thinline Tele 69' RI --- Gibson SG Special --- Epiphone Dot with Bigsby --- Squier Custom Tele II P90 --- Saga LP kit --- Yamaha FG-403MS acoustic
Learn bass. I used to have zero rhythm. Now I play bass and I'm the one people come to for rhythm guitar. Only thing is that bass is addictive, I'm now mainly a bass player. =/
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by matt_p90
Actually Everything Must Go was a great one to learn with and not too hard.

(edit: I mean the album)

Yeah or Kevin Carter

Try the Bo Diddley Beat, examples off the top of my head are "Magic Bus" by The Who and "Caress Me Down" by Sublime.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Tokai09
I said it was weried not hard. I just said it from a starting guitarists point of view. I don't know why you have to swear about it though it's pretty childish.
Because it blows my mind that even a beginner would find that hard or... 'weried'. It's 'weird', by the way.
Quote by MrFlibble
Because it blows my mind that even a beginner would find that hard or... 'weried'. It's 'weird', by the way.

Meh, each to their own. And it doesn't matter how I spell it, it's not an English exam

Quote by MrFlibble

I'll have to try that - sounds like a fun thing to do over a weekend [or maybe just the next few days :p].

What album are you talking about though? "Riot!"?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Actually hold on a sec Mrflibble, how do you play it

do you play it like this

E-----------------10/
B-11-x8-13-x8-10/

Or

E---------13---------13------13--------15---------15-----15-10/
B-10-11----10-11------10-----12-13----12-13-----12-----10/

?

And there's another way but I forgot

Quote by Ritley
Hiya.

Most chord songs are relatively easy, even if they have hard chords to form.

The Beatles have a lot of chord songs, I actually have a chord book of every song of theirs hmm...

Blues/Classic Rock (Cream, Hendrix(Definitely Hendrix), Pink Floyd) have excellent rhythms. Start playing some blues standards.

Jazz also has some good rhythms, also really good chords. Start checking out traditional jazz (Montgomery, Kessel, Django). Or you can check out some fusion (first person who comes to mind is Allan Holdsworth.).

Country also has good rhythm, could look at some old country (Jerry Reed, Albert Lee, Chet Atkins), or Rockabilly (Old Elvis.). Johnny Cash also has chords, but I read his biography and he said he stuck to the same chords really and just changed the rhythms.
some foo fighters songs , everlong and times like these
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
Quote by Tokai09
Meh, each to their own. And it doesn't matter how I spell it, it's not an English exam
No, but you're what, 17? You should be able to spell 'weird' right by now, and it's even a quicker spelling than your 'weird' way of spelling it too.

Quote by Simsimius
I'll have to try that - sounds like a fun thing to do over a weekend [or maybe just the next few days :p].

What album are you talking about though? "Riot!"?
Riot! is probably the most fun to play and the easiest to get through, tis' what I started on, had it all down in about a week and a half. All We Know Is Falling is a technically (playing-quality-wise) better album, but of course it's a little more obscure and the rhythm parts aren't so stereotypically 'rhythm', I see that album as being more like two simple lead parts rather than a defined lead and rhythm part. So if your rhythm playing is what you want to practise, it's probably better to stick with Riot!. Though Here We Go Again and Brighter are definitely good ones to practise from AWKIF.

Quote by Tokai09
Actually hold on a sec Mrflibble, how do you play it
I worked out the proper way a while back, starts around the B on the D string (well, Bb on the C# string since they tune to Drop C#) and works it's way up, going back on itself every other note as far as I recall. I stopped playing it that way though, what I do now is I do the first few half step bends on the Eb string at the 12th fret from Eb to E, then the C# note behind that, then what I normally do is work my way down the Minor scale until I get to the E on the F# string (gives it a happier vibe to end the run there rather than the C# below it), then I jump up to the G# on the Eb string and play around the C# Minor scale up there for a bit, and end on the B note and do a full step bend up to C# again to end it, so I'm ending an octave above the C# that Josh ends on in the recording. If you have a 24 fret guitar you could just slide up to that 24th fret and get the octave there instead. If I'm feeling brave I'll risk dropping back to the C# at the 19th fret of the F# string and try and get a pinch harmonic out there to finish it.
Quote by MrFlibble
No, but you're what, 17? You should be able to spell 'weird' right by now, and it's even a quicker spelling than your 'weird' way of spelling it too.

that actually made me laugh a bit, yeah I see what you mean but everyone has their muff ups now and again. I was talking to my friend on Facebook earlier and he spelt want wont lol.

Quote by MrFlibble
I worked out the proper way a while back, starts around the B on the D string (well, Bb on the C# string since they tune to Drop C#) and works it's way up, going back on itself every other note as far as I recall. I stopped playing it that way though, what I do now is I do the first few half step bends on the Eb string at the 12th fret from Eb to E, then the C# note behind that, then what I normally do is work my way down the Minor scale until I get to the E on the F# string (gives it a happier vibe to end the run there rather than the C# below it), then I jump up to the G# on the Eb string and play around the C# Minor scale up there for a bit, and end on the B note and do a full step bend up to C# again to end it, so I'm ending an octave above the C# that Josh ends on in the recording. If you have a 24 fret guitar you could just slide up to that 24th fret and get the octave there instead. If I'm feeling brave I'll risk dropping back to the C# at the 19th fret of the F# string and try and get a pinch harmonic out there to finish it.

Kewl thanks. I just jammed the song when I was practicing with my band it came out the riff I made up starting on A . I try and use a pinch harmonic on the last note on the riff after the chorus.

Metallica
Opeth
Death

Those bands each have some songs that are great for rhythm guitar playing. Also, if you really want to have rock solid rhythm then look no further than playing funk guitar. It'll teach you to play in the pocket faster than any other style of guitar, imo.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Ritley
Hiya.

Anything by Dream Theater.
Look up some famous Jazz tunes.
I like to play Bother by Stone Sour for some chordal work.
Check out the chords in For The Love of God. Some difficult shapes there.
Listen to more Immortal.
Learn Greensleeves and Stairway to Heaven.

And yes, learn some Rush and Opeth.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 17, 2009,
If you master Hendrix, you master rhythm guitar. 'Nuff said.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Quote by Thebridge
If you master Hendrix, you master rhythm guitar. 'Nuff said.
this.
I've personally always loved the rhythm in goo goo dolls songs
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Alter Bridge
Alice in Chains
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Stone Temple Pilots
Soundgarden
Brian Setzer

work out stuff by these artists and you shoudl have no problem
Aerosmith
Guns n Roses
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Bleh, I'd like to go to music college, but I don't really have any formal lessons, and most of the conservatories require your music teacher recommendation and all that other bureacratic BS, good luck though
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Page 1 of 2