I need some help with my hand posture. I want to make sure I'm holding my guitar correctly so that I can get the most of my playing.

I hear some people say that you're thumb is supposed to be up by the low e string so you can mute it if necessary. However, some others have said it should be flat against the back of the neck. Though some say that way causes hand damage later on. I play right now with my thumb up by the E string, unless I'm playing scales.

Also, is there a part of your hand that needs to be in a fixed position (in relation to the guitar) at all times? It seems like maybe that should be the joints where the fingers connect to the hand if it's anything? Like this area here:

Idk, I guess I'm being meticulous for details when it comes to my hand posture. But it is seeming like it changes and I'm starting to try to play shredding stuff with lots of pulloffs and I want to make sure that I have the right hand posture to do so. Thanks!
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by soul.power
I need some help with my hand posture. I want to make sure I'm holding my guitar correctly so that I can get the most of my playing.

I hear some people say that you're thumb is supposed to be up by the low e string so you can mute it if necessary. However, some others have said it should be flat against the back of the neck. Though some say that way causes hand damage later on. I play right now with my thumb up by the E string, unless I'm playing scales.

Also, is there a part of your hand that needs to be in a fixed position (in relation to the guitar) at all times? It seems like maybe that should be the joints where the fingers connect to the hand if it's anything? Like this area here:

Idk, I guess I'm being meticulous for details when it comes to my hand posture. But it is seeming like it changes and I'm starting to try to play shredding stuff with lots of pulloffs and I want to make sure that I have the right hand posture to do so. Thanks!

The red part is bullshit, having your thumb low on the neck is absolutely crucial for playing wide stretch ideas and is GOOD technique.

At the same time you should have your thumb over the top of the neck during bends and vibrato to aid with the motion and stability of your hand.

So the answer to your question (in blue) is: No. your hand should change position according to what you're doing at the time. Right now it might seem like a lot of information to process and too much to think about but the more you practice the easier it will become, like with anything, until it's second nature.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.