Page 1 of 2
Are there any amps in the $400 US region that sound like a Mesa Dual Rectifier, or any other high gain amp? And still have a good clean as well?

Thanks in advance, guys.
Slappa tha bass
Doesn't exist, sorry. I once searched for budget amps that sounded like Mesas, but it is truly a fruitless search. I'd try to save up if I were you .

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
That's like trying to get a first class plane ticket with change you found in the vending machine.

Thats disappointing.
Slappa tha bass
closest thing i can think of is that blackstar everyone and their mum is sh*tting themselves over, but i think it's more than $400, anyways.

like the ING guy says, save your money
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by hootie37
Are there any amps in the $400 US region that sound like a Mesa Dual Rectifier

If there is such a thing, everyone and their dogs would own 10 each.

How else do you think Mesa can flourish with such high pricing?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
try a b52 att? they're sometimes called the poor man's mesa
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Bugera 333XL...... you can get a mesa-esque tone from them ....
b-52 with new tubes will get you 40% there but there really is no substitute
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
That's like trying to get a first class plane ticket with change you found in the vending machine.

He pretty much nailed it on the head right there. I feel for ya though, I'm thirteen, and have recently acquired major GAS for a Dual Rec. My words for you would be to do what I'm doing, start saving.
You won't get close in that range, sorry, If there was such a thing Mesa would be out of buisness.
400$ doesnt get much in the way of a tube amp anymore certainly nothing thats gonna give the tone of a mesa.
A modeling amp/proccesor? The GSP1101 sounds really good.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Tackleberry
400$ doesnt get much in the way of a tube amp anymore

Bugeras
Peavey Windsor
Peavey VTM
Peavey Butcher
Peavey Ultra Plus
Peavey XXX
Peavey Classic
Crate V series
Crate VC series
Crate Palomino series
Epiphone Triggerman
Epiphone Blues Custom
Epiphone So Cal

Although, just new, I may be inclined to agree.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Mikehugo2415
He pretty much nailed it on the head right there. I feel for ya though, I'm thirteen, and have recently acquired major GAS for a Dual Rec. My words for you would be to do what I'm doing, start saving.

Sounds like we're twins
Slappa tha bass
Mesa amps dont sound that great to me so I dont know where to direct you. I would buy a POD and plug it thru some speakers instead of searching for a budget amp.
whatever you do dont buy that crappy Mesa pedal with the tubes in it. Forgot the name, but it sounds so muddy and nasty. Mesa was never good with gain though.
Are you guys SERIOUS!?!?!

B-52!

The AT-112 can be had for 350 bucks and it sounds scarily like a Mesa Boogie.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Raijouta

Peavey XXX

id love to find a XXX in the UK for £400

you god damn luck Americans
Hey man, I'm screwed as far as prices go. My Valveking cost me $718 US.

Quote by Damius
whatever you do dont buy that crappy Mesa pedal with the tubes in it. Forgot the name, but it sounds so muddy and nasty. Mesa was never good with gain though.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 13, 2009,
I own a AT112 and a DR, and they sound pretty similar, but the DR has more features and is less harsh, but more brutal. Still, they're fairly close. The AT112 oddly enough has a much better clean channel.
I would get one of those blackstar pedals, they sound insane. and then save up for a tube amp with a good enough clean for you
Quote by dudetheman
Are you guys SERIOUS!?!?!

B-52!

The AT-112 can be had for 350 bucks and it sounds scarily like a Mesa Boogie.

Have you ever played a Dual Rectifier? I think your Happy meal is a few fries short.
Quote by BobDetroit
Have you ever played a Dual Rectifier? I think your Happy meal is a few fries short.

I managed to try someone's imported B52 and then a Dual Recto at a shop. At some settings the B52 comes very close to some of the Dual Recto's settings.

Once you start meddling with the Dual Recto, you'll realise that the B52 cannot come close to the versatility of the Dual Recto.

The B52 is similar to the Dual Recto across certain ranges, but the Dual Recto is capable of far more.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by kakos
id love to find a XXX in the UK for £400

you god damn luck Americans

I saw a triple X half stack on my local CL for 600, with a bugera 412 cab, the cab was pretty much new, but the head was beat all to hell, but he had a ticket from last month with a tech giving it a tube change and a clean bill of health, pretty good deal IMO. Some of the smaller combos go for around 400-500 dollars always.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
My Randall RM100 w/ recto module nails the DR modern channel for sure. I don't think you can find an RM20 w/ module for $400 though
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
the V twin << that's the crappy pedal from mesa. What a pile of ****e that is.
Quote by Damius
Mesa was never good with gain though.

beg pardon? Mesa basically invented high-gain...
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
There are some pedals which emulate the "Boogie" sound.
AMT R1 and all kinds of Dr. Boogie builds (I think it's called that).
The B-52 AT is an American voiced amp with slightly more treble and more a mid-boost than the Mesa amps, but it's relatively similar. The Line 6 Flextone III is worth looking into. Saving your money up for a used Peavey XXX combo is also something worth noting.
The Blackstar HT-5 is possible. Egnator Rebel with a stomp box -- Maybe an AMT Du-Hast?
B-52 at-112 is the closest your gonna get for that money but id suggest saving up more so you can get an amp you'll really keep for a long time
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Quote by Raijouta

Bugeras
Peavey Windsor
Peavey VTM
Peavey Butcher
Peavey Ultra Plus
Peavey XXX
Peavey Classic
Crate V series
Crate VC series
Crate Palomino series
Epiphone Triggerman
Epiphone Blues Custom
Epiphone So Cal

The Triggerman is solid state DSP. Just thought I'd let you know...
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Page 1 of 2