I had never experimented with tubes before, but I realized it may be a cheapish way to fiddle my tone... I bought a ruby 12ax7 (if anyone cares I can add the exact kind later, I don't have it on me.)
The difference was wonderful! My all-right v-16 was doomy heaven compared to all the time I owned it before then, so good I was using it through my 4x12 at practice instead of my head.
Tonight, nothing but a light hum until I popped the old Sovtek in. Tried the ruby in other spots, silence.

Can I hope I just got a defective one, or are my tech skills/amp to blame? I'd always let the arm warm up for five to ten minutes before playing...
was it biased correctly?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
was it biased correctly?

You don't need to rebias after changing preamp tubes, biasing is for power tubes.
TS, you could have gotten a faulty tube.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
That's just bad luck with the tube, it's nothing you did.

Cruelly enough, the tube might have been slightly microphonic, which often makes tubes sound really great...right before they die.
Sounds like you just got a dud. Uve had some ruby 6v6 power tubes in am amp for quite a while w no problems. I tend to go with the jj tubes for preamp.
My Ruby 6L6es are still running strong after more than a year of (ab?)use.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks for the replies, anyone have a suggestion for a new 12ax7 for my v16? The stock tubes just have too much grainy sizzle with high gain.
Quote by Eater of ashes
Thanks for the replies, anyone have a suggestion for a new 12ax7 for my v16? The stock tubes just have too much grainy sizzle with high gain.

if you liked the Ruby, I wouldn't just give up on them. Unfortunately that can happen to any tube, it's just the nature of the beast. The Shuguang preamp tubes are just as reliable as any of the other current production preamp tubes IME, you just got a dud, it happens when dealing with ancient technology like vacuum tubes.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I've had Ruby's in my Orange for over 10 months, and I run my amp at high or full volume everyday. Just a lemon?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412