So some of us have a range which we are best suited at, right? It's easiest to build from that certain range before trying to expand, right?

So I guess if I wanted to train my voice, I should practice songs that seem within my vocal range?

Cause I tried singing/playing Blind by Lifehouse and One Year Six Months by Yellowcard - I sounded awful in the recordings. Then I tried Perfect Day by Collective Soul and I was impressed with myself for the first time ever. What do you think?
Yup. Pretty much. It doesn't hurt to try to stretch your range, but you're gonna sound best in songs in your range.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Ok. So should I feel bad for scrapping a song because it just doesn't seem to fit my style? xD
It takes alot of practice to expand your range, don't think you are or should be limited to what you are starting with. I hardly had an octave when I starting singing.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
Part of being a good singer is knowing what you're able to sound good at singing!

Imagine Lemme from Motorhead singing Run to the Hills!

Imagine Bruce Dickenson singing Back in Black!

Imagine Celine Dion singing You Shook Me All Night Long!
(YouTube that one.... seriously )

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

CT

I'm not sure what is worse, her rendition of the song or the air guitar.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
If you like a song that's outside your range, try rearranging it. I really like Midnight Train to Georgia, but there's no way I can sing it like Gladys Knight. She's got a relatively low voice for a woman, but I don't have that same tonal quality.

So I play it as a solo acoustic number. Works fine.
Quote by axemanchris
Part of being a good singer is knowing what you're able to sound good at singing!

Imagine Lemme from Motorhead singing Run to the Hills!

CT

wow.. didnt believe you at first
Quote by ybot1122
So some of us have a range which we are best suited at, right? It's easiest to build from that certain range before trying to expand, right?

So I guess if I wanted to train my voice, I should practice songs that seem within my vocal range?

Cause I tried singing/playing Blind by Lifehouse and One Year Six Months by Yellowcard - I sounded awful in the recordings. Then I tried Perfect Day by Collective Soul and I was impressed with myself for the first time ever. What do you think?

I think you just started singing. And you sound like **** most of the time. Not to be blunt or anything but I had the same experience.

Id suggest getting a teacher for a few times, so (s)he can give you a few pointers for technique. I've had 40 lessons and it's helped me massively. Because I sort of know what I'm doing I can practice by just siinging a lot of songs I can't really sing, and therefore I stretch op my range. Kinda of like playing really fast guitar solo's when your phrasing just sucks.

Be careful though, too much forcing is never good. So also just sing along with songs within your vocal range. You'll start too see immense difference in those songs as you progress with the harder songs.

My match teacher let my class stduy material above the norm for exams, knowing we couldnt handle it that well, but atleast the exams would be piss easy. This seems to work for me when it comes to music aswell so its just my point of view really.

Another pointer is Don't hold back. Pretend you have to fill a large room with just your voice. Your tone will be much clearer, and more convincing, but also more stable.

This is it for now, hope it helps.
Agree with many posts here. Also, remember when starting to sing that some kind of warming up IS needed. Doesn't necessarily mean that you should make exercises but just take the singing a bit easier (don't expect it to be at its best) for the first half an hour and then start "singing for real" and possibly challenge the vocals, stretch the range ...

Many people wear out the voice right away and then there is really not much to do or learn.
You should stay singing songs that are in your range, but as mentioned above, if you don`t hold back, you`ll find that you can reach higher notes, just that it will be a little louder.

Also mentioned above, i had around one octave when i started to sing and now i have 2 and a half octaves, just every once in awhile try playing the notes and going up a fret and down a fret and you`ll find tyhat your voice expanded alot.

But as for practicing find a teacher if you can, but if not just sing alot so that your voice gets used to singing all of the time and that will warm it up and help expand your voice alot.
Quote by pandora_grunt

Another pointer is Don't hold back. Pretend you have to fill a large room with just your voice. Your tone will be much clearer, and more convincing, but also more stable.

i couldn't give enough +1's to this. most singers when they start out they're not putting their voice out there. i noticed once i started singing fully and with my diaphragm it became easier to hit the right notes almost overnight.
+1 to the "Don't hold back". And also never think the way the original artist did it should limit you. That's why the Guitar Capo was invented. Transposition is a very popular and useful technique; people spend many hours learning how to do it properly.
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
You probably have a bigger range in your immediate access than you think. Think of it like this.

There is the voice that you are singing with now. Then there is the true range of your voice, which you can access through proper singing technique. When most people talk about expanding range, they just mean accessing more of this.

Truly increasing your range is quite difficult and lengthy.