Resistance-wise, are these combos in an H/H Les Paul okay?

DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck (DC Resistance = 8.4K) and a Gibson Double Black T-Top in the bridge (7.7K)

DiMarzio Breed Neck in the neck (10.39K) and the T-Top

DiMarzio Evolution neck in the neck (13.04K) and the T-Top.

Any other suggestions for a neck pickup?

I'm looking for a thick smooth tone that is good for shredding. Think Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. Other influences include Paul Gilbert, Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, and Marty Friedman
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Last edited by Junnage at Aug 13, 2009,
Only one I'd think of trying is the PAF pro w/ T-top.

In all honesty, if you like the tone of your bridge pickup as it is, I'd just worry about something that matches well in the neck outputwise. If the T-top has enough juice to get you the sound you want, then just about pickup in the neck will as well.

However, on principle I do not buy Dimarzio PAF pickups. Mainly because they sound nothing like PAFs.
Quote by al112987
Only one I'd think of trying is the PAF pro w/ T-top.

In all honesty, if you like the tone of your bridge pickup as it is, I'd just worry about something that matches well in the neck outputwise. If the T-top has enough juice to get you the sound you want, then just about pickup in the neck will as well.

However, on principle I do not buy Dimarzio PAF pickups. Mainly because they sound nothing like PAFs.

Haha, I was actually waiting for you to post in this thread haha.

And yeah, if DiMarzio PAF Pro's sounded like PAFs, I wouldn't be interested. I'm not big on the original PAF sound. Something about the T-Top gets me though. There's a quacky sort of funky tone in it.

And I do not know if this affects anything, but I forgot to mention in my previous thread that the T-Top at one point was rewired by THE Seymour Duncan himself (long story). Could this mean that the output of the pickup might have changed?
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
Haha, I was actually waiting for you to post in this thread haha.

And yeah, if DiMarzio PAF Pro's sounded like PAFs, I wouldn't be interested. I'm not big on the original PAF sound. Something about the T-Top gets me though. There's a quacky sort of funky tone in it.

And I do not know if this affects anything, but I forgot to mention in my previous thread that the T-Top at one point was rewired by THE Seymour Duncan himself (long story). Could this mean that the output of the pickup might have changed?
Depends... Seymour has rewound a ton of vintage pickups over the years, and it's one of the reasons why his PAF replicas (Antiquities, Seth Lovers) are so good. But at the same time, most people who get their vintage pickups rewound want them as close to original spec as possible, which is why they go to Seymour.

On the other hand, back when he first got started I'm sure he did a bunch of custom rewinds as well, and the '70s were about the time when people would be sending in their pickups to get them rewound, it could be possible that the person who owned the pickup before you sent it off to Seymour Duncan to be turned into a high output, distortion pickup because literally, no one cared about T-tops until recently (within the last 10 years, I'd say).

What I would do is measure the DCR first. If it measures in that 7.5k range, then it's probably just a standard pickup repair rather than something Seymour purposely rewound into anything custom.
Quote by al112987
Depends... Seymour has rewound a ton of vintage pickups over the years, and it's one of the reasons why his PAF replicas (Antiquities, Seth Lovers) are so good. But at the same time, most people who get their vintage pickups rewound want them as close to original spec as possible, which is why they go to Seymour.

On the other hand, back when he first got started I'm sure he did a bunch of custom rewinds as well, and the '70s were about the time when people would be sending in their pickups to get them rewound, it could be possible that the person who owned the pickup before you sent it off to Seymour Duncan to be turned into a high output, distortion pickup because literally, no one cared about T-tops until recently (within the last 10 years, I'd say).

What I would do is measure the DCR first. If it measures in that 7.5k range, then it's probably just a standard pickup repair rather than something Seymour purposely rewound into anything custom.

How would you measure the DCR. That's been a problem in general.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Disconnect the pickup from the potentiometer, take a DMM, select it to measure resistance in the 20k ohm range and you can measure the resistance by connecting one lead to the ground (the outside of the braided wire) and the other lead to the hot end (the inside wire under the insulation)
Quote by al112987
Disconnect the pickup from the potentiometer, take a DMM, select it to measure resistance in the 20k ohm range and you can measure the resistance by connecting one lead to the ground (the outside of the braided wire) and the other lead to the hot end (the inside wire under the insulation)

Sounds way too complicated for me to do with a screwdriver, to be perfectly honest with you. Thanks though. So, from your experience, would you suggest the PAF Pro?
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6