I'm not sure this belongs here but it's more about the music than the game.

A while back I read an article somewhere about the guitar hero/rock band franchises not being around for forever. Reason? How many more hits can be put into the game?

So UG, that's the question. Really, how many more hits, or well known songs can be put into the game to continue it's success? I know there's a lot of great music out there that can be put in the game, but what's made it a success is that people can now "play" there favorite tunes. I think they are both on the downhill side of this because the song selection of GH world tour seemed bland at best. What you think UG? OR what would you like to see them do musically speaking of course?
Quote by Phat Stud 55
I'm not sure this belongs here but it's more about the music than the game.

A while back I read an article somewhere about the guitar hero/rock band franchises not being around for forever. Reason? How many more hits can be put into the game?

So UG, that's the question. Really, how many more hits, or well known songs can be put into the game to continue it's success? I know there's a lot of great music out there that can be put in the game, but what's made it a success is that people can now "play" there favorite tunes. I think they are both on the downhill side of this because the song selection of GH world tour seemed bland at best. What you think UG? OR what would you like to see them do musically speaking of course?
I honestly could care less whether they keep making those games or not.

Yes, I realize that doesn't quite answer your question.

I think that they could keep making guitar hero/rock band games forever and they would still be popular. It's like the Madden franchise. They change each just enough every time to keep people interested.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Aug 13, 2009,
This is random but can you believe people on youtube post covers of themselves playing rock band drums / guitar etc.... Ugh... Sorry... I just hate those games... At least the people who play them and act like they're god. Whatever.. lol
Most people on UG aren't very nice.

That is my signature.

This is true.
i think they've still got a ways to go before they die. the games based around one band could be made for many more artists, and as we've seen with the new ones, new music is being incorporated into the game. I think the biggest downfall for the companies right now is that they are selling tracks through the internet. This lessens their options to include in a new game. Who knows where it will go though? They're making just as much as iTunes so it could be quite a while.
My Gear:

Squier Stratocaster
Italia Maranello
Ibanez GIO
Samich D-1
Baldwin SG
Fender CD100CE

Proel WahWah
Digitech RP-80 Multi-Effects

Peavey Combo Amp
Marshall Practice Amp
Would we have less disdain for GH, etc. if the controller was an advanced version of a real MIDI guitar and you used real tabs instead of the 4 color cues?

By more advanced, I mean there were sensors to gauge picking direction, intensity, harmonics (differentiating between naturals, pinch, etc.), palm muting, a real floyd rose, and so on.

They could have the real artist play it on the controller to collect the date for the master, and then compare your performance against all the subtleties of theirs.

I bet most of us would still hate it because you'd still be trying to sound like someone else.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Aug 13, 2009,
Guitar Hero will be run into the ground by Neversoft soon enough. They are treating exactly as they did the Tony Hawk series (releasing a slew of sequels with no/relatively few improvements on what came before). By extension, this will also help to kill off the Rock Band hysteria as well (they are pretty much the same damn game after all). At the rate they release the guitar hero games....... i think if i was going to make a speculation as to how long they will be hanging around..... i would give it about another year or year and a half before the general gaming public gets as sick of Guitar Hero/Rockband as the gaming press are already becoming.
Quote by jetwash69
Would we have less disdain for GH, etc. if the controller was an advanced version of a real MIDI guitar and you used real tabs instead of the 4 color cues?

By more advanced, I mean there were sensors to gauge picking direction, intensity, harmonics (differentiating between naturals, pinch, etc.), palm muting, a real floyd rose, and so on.

They could have the real artist play it on the controller to collect the date for the master, and then compare your performance against all the subtleties of theirs.

I bet most of us would still hate it because you'd still be trying to sound like someone else.

you might as well play real guitar

Plus the game would be to hard or else everyone would be running around playing dragon force on real guitar better then Herman Ri.
Quote by Ssargentslayer

Plus the game would be to hard or else everyone would be running around playing dragon force on real guitar better then Herman Ri.

Uh, yeah...it would be a real guitar.

It wouldn't just be harder than GH, but it would be more expensive, too.

The point is even if they made a game just like a real guitar, some--if not most UGers still wouldn't like it because they aspire to more than doing a good job with covers, and there wouldn't be any way for a game to reward that properly since "grading" creativity and what "sounds good" is so subjective.
Quote by Ssargentslayer

it would be good though because it would help people learn to play guitar in a fun interactive way.
they will probably never run out of songs for those games because people just make more
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
I think I remember back in college hearing about somebody who wanted to close down the US Patent Office back around 1900. His argument was that pretty much everything that could be invented was already invented, so there wouldn't be a great need to patent anything else.

Every year, there will be songs coming out that people will want to play on Guitar Hero - the next Metallica CD, etc.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH

Stop making this mistake
Does it really bother you that much?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Does it really bother you that much?

Besides the fact that it completly reverses what you are trying to say, yes.