hey everyone, i just started to play in drop c tuning and i was wondering what gauge strings to use. i have an ibanez rg series with no mods. I use DR Strings so can anyone help? thank you in advance
Music is like cand, Throw away the Rappers
I think 11s would work just fine for drop C.
11s are definitely great for C Standard, but I think drop C can be done with 10s.
Last edited by pixysticks at Aug 13, 2009,
depends on what ur using them for... if ur looking to be able to bend the **** out of them, go with a .08 to a .10 guage. if ur looking to thrash the crap out of them, go heavier.
My Gear:

Squier Stratocaster
Italia Maranello
Ibanez GIO
Samich D-1
Baldwin SG
Fender CD100CE

Proel WahWah
Digitech RP-80 Multi-Effects

Peavey Combo Amp
Marshall Practice Amp
the music i play is between atreyu and job for a cowboy
Music is like cand, Throw away the Rappers
Quote by punkguitar93
depends on what ur using them for... if ur looking to be able to bend the **** out of them, go with a .08 to a .10 guage. if ur looking to thrash the crap out of them, go heavier.

If you put 8 gauge strings on and tune to C, you're gonna be playing on spider webs with awful intonation.

That said, it depends, like HE said, on how you want them to feel. If you want looser fitting strings, I wouldn't go lower than 10s, and to me, that's pushing it. I prefer tighter fitting strings, and usually use 11s for drop C.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
It depends on the style aswell.
I myself play .10s in Standard tuning, and according to Daddarios string tension chart, to get the same tension for C tuning, you need .12 gauge
But since you want Drop C and not Normal C, you should definitely get a .11 set.
I honestly think that "Which strings!?" threads should be added to the list of banned threads - I'm quite frankly sick of seeing a new one of these every time I come on the board.

String gauges is strictly personal preference. There is no right or wrong gauge for any tuning or any style of music - its all based on what you feel comfortable playing with. Try different gauges (truss rod adjustments may be required depending on how big of a jump you go in gauges) and find what you like for yourself.
i'm usin 11's myself for drop c, they work amazing for me.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I honestly think that "Which strings!?" threads should be added to the list of banned threads - I'm quite frankly sick of seeing a new one of these every time I come on the board.

String gauges is strictly personal preference. There is no right or wrong gauge for any tuning or any style of music - its all based on what you feel comfortable playing with. Try different gauges (truss rod adjustments may be required depending on how big of a jump you go in gauges) and find what you like for yourself.

+1
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko