Hey there, i'm new at this, so have some patience please.

I've been playing guitar for a year now, I bought my first electric guitar some months ago, it's an Ibanez Talman. So, I've been searching, but I can't find some basic information about pedals. You know, things like, what exactly are pedals for, or what kind of pedals exists. You may think that i'm some kind of stupid, but, really, I'm just ignorant.

The reason why I'm asking this is that there is a chance that I can get a present and I want something for my guitar. I think in a pedal because I wolud like to experience some effects. I want something that can give me like a funky effect, maybe a wah wah, but as I told you before, I don't know anything about pedals and gear.

I'll appreciate some help.

(Sorry if my english has some troubles, I'm from Argentina actually)
A wah wah may be what you want.

What style of music do you play? If blues, classic rock, funk and hard rock I'd recommend the VOX V847A.

If your interests veer more towards metal, check out the Morley Bad Horsie.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Pedals basically change the sound of your amp when you use them for what ever sound or effect you want. whats your amp by the way, if its a modeling amp then a pedal might not be so good.
you might want to start with a good distrotion pedal
or if you want some funky effects then the wah is a good start
or possibly a delay
or a chorus
or a flanger
or a phaser
or if you got the money a digitech whammy
or even better a mutieffect pedal whihc is preety much a whole bunch of pedals put together.
hope i helped
Can't afford anything bigger (and I live in a tiny apartment) so I bought a 10 Marshall.
I'd say a 10 watt Marshall, most likely of the MG variety.

If you have access to high speed internet, videos like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-oz1tVmaoQ&feature=channel and it's related videos should give you an understanding of effects.

Seeing as your name is Amputechture, I assume your a Volta fan. Good examples of wah playing are the intro riff to Goliath and the solo sections of L'Via L'Viaquez, or the solo in Cygnus Vismund Cygnus.
Thanks for the vid. Cleared things out.

I've seen some pedals, but I don't know a lot about brands. Help with that? I can get a Danelectro delay, but I'm not sure. Opinions?