Hey UG

I'm contemplating getting a new amp, and I'm thinking about buying a Crate Blue Voodoo 120w head. Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about picking out a half-stack, let alone a tube head (the BV recommendation comes from a friend who swears by them). Anyway, before I spend and cash I want to research the thing, and what better place to start then UG? I would greatly appreciate any advice, information or opinions regarding the BV or just tube heads in general. As always, thanks for the help all!
Marty Friedman used to use them. If you want an idea of what they sound like, check his solo on Megadeth's "Tornado of Souls" (correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain he played the solo on that one).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i've never liked the way they sounded. imo, too harsh, compressed and thin sounding.

otoh, billy gibbons uses modded blue voodoos live, and he almost always sounds great.
Quote by Raijouta
Marty Friedman used to use them. If you want an idea of what they sound like, check his solo on Megadeth's "Tornado of Souls" (correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain he played the solo on that one).

Im pretty sure he didn't use the blue voodoos till the youthanasia album, he might've used them on countdown to extinction but i'm pretty sure he used a marshall on rust in peace
They're ok, but for the money there are tons of tube amps that are better than that these days. There's a video on youtube that has Glenn Tipton playing one with the guitar plugged straight into it if you want to check out the sound
Quote by Business
They're ok, but for the money there are tons of tube amps that are better than that these days. There's a video on youtube that has Glenn Tipton playing one with the guitar plugged straight into it if you want to check out the sound

It's going for about $350 used for just the head. What other tubes (or heads in general) around there would you recommend?
save 50 more and you can get the Line 6 Spider Valve 100 head form MC. ZZ Sounds is selling it at 450, and MC matched it with a discount. I think thats a great deal at 400 shipped. If you like being an EQ wizard, the SV is worth looking into.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204