With songs like Blink-182 - All The Small Things, Green Day - Basket Case, My Chemical Romance - I'm Not Okay (I Promise) and The Offspring - The Kids Aren't Alright, while the power chord-ish verse bits are theoretically very simple and straightforward to play, I find the constant and rapid palm muting pretty tiring.

I'm not sure how I would manage if, say, I had to perform covers of those songs in front of an audience or something. I mean, even playing them sitting down and dealing with the painful wrist thing from the palm muting is hectic enough, but standing up would surely make it worse.

Actually, I did have to play electric guitar for a performance of Basket Case recently at a camp, and it was pretty darn tiring! I basically just did the first verse and pre-chorus palm muted, then just strummed the rest normally, which was oh-so-much better and sustainable.

I don't have the impression that I'm doing anything wildly wrong, so is it normal for palm muting chords that are being played quickly to be stressful?
1. give it a go standing up, it may relieve tension in your arm and may make it easier

2. its either your havent been fapping much lol jokes jokes

3. it is about stamina, ur still gotta train those muscles, but at the same time you may be doing it with tensing body parts which this is wrong technique, your body/ arms should be relaxed
that's why you strum up and down while you palm mute.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Quote by fli.pansy

most people only downstroke when you palm mute. sounds better, and it's easier on the wrist.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by fli.pansy

but then it sounds like shiit
Yeah if u want br00tal sound u need to downstroke on palm mutes.

You're prolly doing it incorrectly, mind telling us your technique for palm muting?
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak
Quote by Koshman32
most people only downstroke when you palm mute. sounds better, and it's easier on the wrist.

it doesn't necessarily sound better. it just that when you stroke up, you hear the top note first (don't know if that's clear). and also, all those bands you just named use up and down strokes live. and how is strumming only one way easier on the wrist? if you stroke up and down, you do half the work.
Quote by Koshman32

Quote by garf69
but then it sounds like shiit

I agree; it sounds a bit weird when I try palm muting with up and down strokes, but it's much more definite-sounding when it's just down strokes.

Quote by metal_shredder0
Yeah if u want br00tal sound u need to downstroke on palm mutes.

You're prolly doing it incorrectly, mind telling us your technique for palm muting?

Hmm, I'm not exactly sure how to describe that kind of thing via the Internet. o_0

I like to think that my technique is alright, though; when I used to go to lessons, I once asked my teacher about it and while I can't seem to recall most of what he said, there were no complaints with the way I was playing.
Quote by zephyrclaw
I agree; it sounds a bit weird when I try palm muting with up and down strokes, but it's much more definite-sounding when it's just down strokes.

it's probably because you need to practice more. if you think that doing up and down strokes sound "weird", it's because you haven't got the hang of playing it that way.
Last edited by fli.pansy at Aug 14, 2009,
Its probably because your stretching your wrist to much to the side because of your arm position. Try moving you arm. It helped me.
Yeah, I think I just need to practise more. I haven't been playing much - if at all - lately, and perhaps power chords seem so basic and simple that they're often overlooked. Anyway, thanks for the responses, all!