well, by december/january i'll have most, if not all, the money for my new amp fund, and whatever's left for a void will probably be filled by selling my classic 30. right on.

i know what my price range is, approximately in the $1200 to $1500 US range.. so, i mean, i'd be willing to go less or more, but that's my comfort zone so to speak. the things i'm really looking for are (but that doesn't mean i'm limiting myself to amps that meet these criteria);

-combo amp
-30 to 80 watt
-2x12 speaker configuration
-2 channel
-independent EQ and volume for each channel
-reverb, tremolo would be cool
-effects loop is less important, most of my effects are in front of the amp anyhow
-good to great cleans
-large gain spectrum, IE able to do modern-ish metal and hardcore boosted

i guess i don't know what else i want. i like my current amp alright (peavey classic 30), but these things about it bug me;

-lackluster cleans
-low volumes
-feedback even at lower-moderate gain and volumes
-generally unresponsive tone controls past noon
-useless boost

so with that in mind, what can you guise suggest me for amps? so far i've been looking at an orange rockerverb 50 2x12 combo (a little beyond my price range but i'd be looking at used too). any help/suggestions are very appreciated!

i play noisy hardcore in the vein of coalesce interrupted by lots of isis-esque riffage and ambience, with a healthy dose of screamo dynamics ala funeral diner. it even sounds good sometimes!
used mesa mark III. although 1x12 combo based, head and cab can make it 2x12
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
how much does a used mark 3 usually run for? i've seen bands use them that sounded pretty good.

Quote by you = fail
What do you play, again?

uhhh. well, that's kind of the thing, lawl. my band plays kind of an isis/botch sludgey-hardcore mish mash, with lots of clean-ish ambient breaks, and i dabble in lots of other stuff, shins-sounding alternative pop and even jazz and blues.

so i kind of like to have something versatile, and while it might not sound awesome at any one, that's one thing i like about the classic 30, it does all of what i need alright. i'm just looking for an amp that nails one or two (that being the thick, sludgey stuff and the cleans) and does the rest alright.
i play noisy hardcore in the vein of coalesce interrupted by lots of isis-esque riffage and ambience, with a healthy dose of screamo dynamics ala funeral diner. it even sounds good sometimes!
Head and combo run around 800-1k used on ebay. can do any style under the sun, given its the right mark III model. IF you have question about them grailtone/boogie board guys can help or even some people here(if you make a topic, deciding you choose it).

if its versatility, the Mesa Mark Series does it well in that price range. however combos are 1x12.
like i said, i'm just using that as a guide - i'd be open to a head and 2x12 cab or even a 1x12 combo and then a 2x12 cab.

i mean, i have a lot of trying to do, i'm gonna make it a point to try every amp in the price range i can just to see. another amp i'd really love to try is the vht/fryette pitbull or deliverance, i know aaron turned from isis uses the pitbull and his dirty and clean tones pretty much sum up what i'm after, and i could boost/fuzz it up to get it heavier. it's just the issue of finding one i can mess around with in vermont.
well then other amps to try
Peavey JSX
H&k Switchblade
Line 6 Vetta II
Mesa Recto/tremoverb series
Mesa Stilleto series
THe VHT pitbull
Splawn(lucky if you find one used that that price range) Nitro

those are the ones i tried and can think of off the top of my head that do versitility well enough besides the mark
Quote by mexican_shred
Head and combo run around 800-1k used on ebay. can do any style under the sun, given its the right mark III model. IF you have question about them grailtone/boogie board guys can help or even some people here(if you make a topic, deciding you choose it).

if its versatility, the Mesa Mark Series does it well in that price range. however combos are 1x12.

I'd have to agree. The Mesa Mark series are capable of doing everything from clean, sparkling Jazz to aggressive metal. I'm not positive which model is better for which genre but I trust m_s's judgment on this one.
i will certainly keep my eyes peeled for a mark 3 on CL then. no one has any orange experience here? i'd really love to find out how something like the rockerverb or the AD series would sound boosted and fuzzed the eff out.
Quote by jacobthesnakeob
i will certainly keep my eyes peeled for a mark 3 on CL then. no one has any orange experience here? i'd really love to find out how something like the rockerverb or the AD series would sound boosted and fuzzed the eff out.

I've only tried the rocker. Cant say much about the others. Sounded fine for low gain stuff, boosted with an OCD its fine, but not really the same sounding as other amps that are geared for it
ah, yeah, that's kinda what i feared. there's an orange dealership close to where i live, but the only problem is they never order any good ones unless someone places the order because they're so broke, they've only ever had the crush series when i went. so that's why i was thinking orange, because i could get a decent price on a new one.

but oh well, if it's not really suited for it there's not much that can be done.
well i would say a JSX or vetta 2. both damn good and u would be hard pressed to find a bad review on either
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by TheLetheProject
TS, you almost exactly described the Vox AC30.

modern metal and hardcore

I'd look into a Budda Superdrive series, but they unfortunately don't come with reverb...

And even though they have low wattage ratings, don't let that fool you - they're loud as BALLS.

Otherwise, the Mark III is a great choice as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
looking into all three or four suggestions, along with a rivera knucklehead - any experience with that, anyone?
A 2X12 combo amp is bulky and heavy! Get a head and 2X12 cab. Avatar cabs are great and pick up a used Mesa or Marshall head and you are good for life.
TS, an Orange AD30 would be an almost perfect match for what you want. It's 30W (pretty loud for 30W), comes in combo or head form and has 2 identical channels with separate EQs. It has great cleans and wicked overdrive that has a pretty large range and can easily do metal when boosted. The only downsides are that there is no reverb/tremolo or FX loop. Other than that it is a sick amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I would suggest the mesa boogie dual rectifier tremoveb it's a great amp and it can cover a lot of ground, it has 2 channels and four modes, reverb and tremolo .
used mesa lonestar classic or special. save a bit more and you could get a new one.
egnater tourmaster i really liked also.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.