I bought dimarzio virtual solo for the bridge pickup on my strat..im swapping it out

any instructions? impretty confused i already flipped the pickguard upside down ..

the dimarzio has red, green, black, white ..the stock only has 3 red green black.

Also does it matter which way the pickup face? like how do i know which end is for the High E and which for the low E
27mMoV31II7.a2
go to dimarzio site and click on the pickup, and go to diagrams and see how they do it
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I'm not sure about the wiring aspect as I'm not very inclined when it comes to electronics.

However I do know that it DOES matter which way you put the pickup in - one end of the pickup is calibrated for bass frequencies while the other end is for treble frequencies.

If you aren't comfortable doing it then take it to a tech
The extra one in the dimarzio may be for grounding? I don't know much about electronics, but that's a possibility.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Now that I think about it I believe that the red and black would be your positive and negatives, the green would be your ground, and the white would be your neutral (don't quote me on that though lol). As for actually wiring them, I have no clue how that would be done - as m_s said, go to the Dimarzio website and look up wiring diagrams.
I don't know about wiring Dimarzio's, but the side with the raised bumps, should be closest to the bridge on the top of the pickup. Thats how you know the bass from the treble side. Or at least I do.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

soldered together with the white wire. its the black and grey thing

Edit:than thin "blue wire" is for grounding. its the metal shielding around the red,white, and blue wires
Last edited by mexican_shred at Aug 14, 2009,
just confirming
Green --> volume pot
Red --> pickup selector
White & black --> ground ?

I dont have a blue wire on my dimarzio

Also, what is grounding (im noob)

(on the stock one, the red goes to selector, green goes first tone pot, black goes volume pot)
27mMoV31II7.a2
Last edited by Antimage27 at Aug 14, 2009,
white and Black soldered together.

That blue wire represents the gray/silver frizzy material you see after your wire strip the pickups

edit: you might want to take this to a tech then.
im sure its not that hard
i want to do it myself so i know how next time.
plus it costs 50% the price of the pickup itself for labor
27mMoV31II7.a2
the picture is too small but im pretty sure theres none of that on my pickup...

it says the wires that come with the pickup are red, black, white, green, and bare....but where the hell is the bare
27mMoV31II7.a2
Last edited by Antimage27 at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by Antimage27
the picture is too small but im pretty sure theres none of that on my pickup...

it says the wires that come with the pickup are red, black, white, green, and bare....but where the hell is the bare

They may be referring to a wire after the coating has been stripped off the end? Just a thought
K right now on my pickup
there is a white and black wire (which is soldered together and really short)
a green and red wire, both are bare at the ends...
thats it
27mMoV31II7.a2
the white and black are to be soldered together.

the green goes to the back of a the volume pot and the red connects to the pickup selector or volume pot lug.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
well if raging kitty is right and the white is to be soldered to the black, do that and wire everything else exactly as it already is.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
well if raging kitty is right and the white is to be soldered to the black, do that and wire everything else exactly as it already is.

I'm quite certain its correct, just checked the colour codings for pup manufacturers. However, I am unable to reconcile the fact that the pup lack the bare wire (grounding wire).

All pickups definitely have a grounding wire.

I seriously doubt it's combined with the green (end of the screw slug, i.e. the south pole) if it is, how are you supposed to do the coil splitting or out-of-phase wiring.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
apparently the pickup isnt recommended for the S1 switch...

k so is there suppose to be a bare wire? or no because im fairly certain mine dont have one.
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Antimage27
apparently the pickup isnt recommended for the S1 switch...

k so is there suppose to be a bare wire? or no because im fairly certain mine dont have one.

http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/strat/virtual-solo/

Go to that site and click on "Installation".

Then select either "Virtual Vintage / Strat wiring" or "Virtual Vintage / Strat wiring with push-pull pot".

You'll notice that on both wiring diagrams, there are 5 wires coming out of the pickup wirings. 4 of which are red, green, white, black and one bare (grey in colour).
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )