i have been playing guitar for about 10 months and i had so much fun learning stuff like new songs and how to improvise and i used to put a lot of emotion and care into my playing and for the past week i have had to force myself to practice guitar. has anybody else had this problem before and if they had it did it go away?
You probably have just burned yourself out on it. I had a few times like that when I started. I play every day now though. Try switching genres or something. It always helps me in times like that.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Quote by JayT44
After a little less than a year of playing, I met this kid on myspace who started about the same time as me and I went over to his house and he was AMAZING! I was such a noob though, struggling to play Velvet Revolver and he was busting out a ton of full Metallica songs... he got me into listening to Metallica (who are now one of my favorite bands) and I practiced constantly wanting to keep up with him. He drastically impacted my playing.

From the exact same thread on the top page.

TL;DR: Jam with other people

inb4 "You're dying"
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by JayT44
From the exact same thread on the top page.

TL;DR: Jam with other people

this and i also reccomend new genres
Don't make it something that you HAVE to do. Make sure its something you want to do. Play for fun for a while and don't really worry about progressing much. Just enjoy playing
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by GannonBracewell
Buy a new guitar or an amp or maybe a pedal.

Helped me out.

I spent 600 dollars on an Agile Reaper. It pretty much just collects dust.

Sometimes guitar just gets boring.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Everyone does
You're uninspired. Listen to some new music, maybe even get a second guitar (I presume you're on your "crappy/starter" guitar).
Your pussy hurts.
It will pass.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
yes, take a day off or even a week off, or it might just be that you stopped progressing and you are in a rut, that happens to me every once in a while, branch out and try playing a different style of music or just take a week off and realize how much you missed, if you have the money buying new gear can sometimes cure this also
Stop playing for a while, take compulsory guitar playing off of your mind. If you enjoy playing guitar, you'll be drawn back to it.

Edit: Stop playing-hivemind.
Quote by kwidjibo1
oh really? i didnt know children of bodom were better than a band far more famous and popular than them, cheers for the update

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Your from the states. I end my case.
Last edited by Sopheydood at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
Try switching genres or something. It always helps me in times like that.

This is what got me back into playing on a daily basis. Lately I've just been playing a lot of simpler songs that are great to practice singing to (Death Cab mainly) and it has rekindled my love of playing. Just switch it up a bit, TS.
i've been playing guitar for four years and i've had this problem numerous times. its usually been because i've been bored with what i'm learning or i'm not seeing advancement in my guitar playing. what i do is usually tell my teacher and he'll give me new material or give me advice. since i want to be a career musician i keep pushing and pushing playing everyday. hopefully you'll regain the love for guitar playing.
It will pass.
One way I make it go by faster is to experiment with different tunings. You have relearn the fretboard if youve played in E Standard all your life and then you suddenly tune to Open C#.
love is love // return to dust
I'm like that except it's all the time and has been for about 3 months. Although I did develop a new style of playing involving hammer-ons and one-tap delay effects. Also playing guitar with drumsticks = sex
It happens to everyone I think. I didn't practice for like 2-3 weeks once. Now I'm back into it again. Usually after the breaks I somehow improve. Not technique wise, oh lawdy no. But I do have more interesting ideas while just relaxing and doing other activities.
Quote by happytimeharry
This is what got me back into playing on a daily basis. Lately I've just been playing a lot of simpler songs that are great to practice singing to (Death Cab mainly) and it has rekindled my love of playing. Just switch it up a bit, TS.

I don't/can't, well if I want to make my dogs howl and babies cry, sing. But yes definitely a change in the musical scenery helps wonders. It reinvigorates the mind.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
I don't/can't, well if I want to make my dogs howl and babies cry, sing.

I've been told I'm pretty good at singing, but I'm still self-conscious as hell about it. I only sing in the car or locked in my room.
Quote by happytimeharry

I've been told I'm pretty good at singing, but I'm still self-conscious as hell about it. I only sing in the car or locked in my room.

When I try to sing I get locked in my car or my room.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
try playing some dream theater, they have some really heavy riffs and fast licks and a lot of their songs are in standard, b tuning (7 string), D tuning and C.

try checking out some guitar magazines or buy some guitar books at musicians friend they usually have some pretty good deals.
Quote by Jackal58
When I try to sing I get locked in my car or my room.

Aw... there there.

*takes wallet*
I've found jamming with people has helped me out...

I've also taken a break for a week. (involentary though because I was camping and forgot my guitar) After the break I found my self inspired to try new things on the guitar. I got a little more sloppy though but that fixed itself in a couple days.
Quote by happytimeharry

I'm very self-conscious of my singing.

I've got great control of my voice for imitating people and accents, but when it comes to singing I'm...not so great.
thanks for all of the answers. i guess i will give myself a break from guitar playing for a while and enjoy the last days of summer. I also may not feel like playing because ever since summer started i have been practising for about 5 hours a day instead of my usual 3 hours of practice.
Try learning another instrument. I remember reading that during the recording of OK Computer, the guitarists for Radiohead got tired of playing guitar. So, they bought a bunch of synthesizers and whatnot and messed around on those. Learn piano, or banjo or something. That's what I've done every now and then and it keeps me interested in music.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by happytimeharry
Aw... there there.

*takes wallet*

Thanks for the hug. My wife beat you to the wallet.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
happens to all guitarists, im in a rut right now too, so im just kinda browsing thru different genres instead of the usual Metallica and stuff like that, im considering working on some acoustic stuff
Quote by SmoothTrooper
i wake up every morning with a stiffy that could dent an Oldsmobile...and i know that everything is a-ok.

Quote by whatamidoinhere
Maybe we should have some kind of naked UG get together...

Imagine how horrifying that would be
Quote by happytimeharry

Drat. Foiled again!

One of the things I always wondered about as a child. How does Snidley make a living?
He sucks at everything.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
One of the things I always wondered about as a child. How does Snidley make a living?
He sucks at everything.

Maybe he's good at playing the stock market.
I currently have some type of guitar block. Listening to some new things give me some ideas.
Quote by happytimeharry
Maybe he's good at playing the stock market.

Could be. Would explain the last 13 months or so.
That bastard.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi