Hey all, I'm looking to get a new guitar. I play basically everything except for country/folk/bluegrass and metal. I like to play punk a lot, but I'm interested in a lot more, such as more alternative sounds, as well as a little funkish stuff. I like to experiment a lot with my sound. My favorite bands are Blink 182 and the Red Hot Chili peppers, although I like many many more. I know for sure that I want a Fender, because I love everything about them, their special twang, the shapes, everything, but I just need to narrow it down to a specific model. I'm really into the smaller guitars, like the Jaguars, Mustangs and Jazzmasters, since I have small hands. I don't really know anything about those three models though. I'd love more info on them, and if you happen to know which one of those three you think would best suit my style, I'd love to hear. I'm also looking at these strats:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=501158

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=501160

I also can't decide between a humbucker or a single coil in the bridge. I know humbuckers are better for powerchords and palm muting, but is the difference all that great? I don't play any real heavy stuff, so I don't know is it would matter all that much. Can a humbucker get a similar sound to a single coil? And does palm muting a power chord on a single coil sound any good? That's all I have for now, I'll add more when I think of it. Thanks
Last edited by Fender1424 at Aug 14, 2009,
i say get the humbucker in the bridge, it gives you a little more versatility and for powerchords and such i really think the humbucker is better
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
Quote by glam rocker
i say get the humbucker in the bridge, it gives you a little more versatility and for powerchords and such i really think the humbucker is better

Okay, thanks for the help. Would you know if there anything a single coil can do a lot better than a humbucker?
First off, I'm only responding because you're not looking for a metal guitar. Thanks for mixing it up

A humbucker is better for palm muting, by like ... a lot. Humbuckers are thicker and a little less defined, but have more low-end for palm muting. Single coils tend to sound more defined and cutting. You can wire the hummer up with a coil tap (if that particular humbucker is designed for it) for a very similar sound, although it will never be quite as bright or defined as a real single coil.

If I were you, I'd go with the HSS strat. A maple neck might be more appropriate for you too, since it's brighter. Later on down the road, I'd swap out the humbucker for one that taps really well. Personally I like Seymour Duncan's Full Shred. It's halfway between 'vintage' and 'high output', and taps to a really nice single coil sound.
bell like cleans are better in single coils. as for higher output, more grit, humbuckers are the way to go.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by jean_genie
First off, I'm only responding because you're not looking for a metal guitar. Thanks for mixing it up

A humbucker is better for palm muting, by like ... a lot. Humbuckers are thicker and a little less defined, but have more low-end for palm muting. Single coils tend to sound more defined and cutting. You can wire the hummer up with a coil tap (if that particular humbucker is designed for it) for a very similar sound, although it will never be quite as bright or defined as a real single coil.

If I were you, I'd go with the HSS strat. A maple neck might be more appropriate for you too, since it's brighter. Later on down the road, I'd swap out the humbucker for one that taps really well. Personally I like Seymour Duncan's Full Shred. It's halfway between 'vintage' and 'high output', and taps to a really nice single coil sound.

Haha no problem. I'm one of the few people on this site not into metal. Alright, thanks for the input.

But right now I'm really leaning towards the Mustang, the more I look into it, the more I like it. I love the small scale, the shape, and I read that you can get amazing tones out of it. I know it has single coils, but aren't there pickups that are the shape of single coils, but are like humbuckers?
Yeah there are. Seymour Duncan makes Hot Rails, and some other ones as well I believe, but I prefer the Dimarzio ones. Go to www.Dimarzio.com and check out the Strat hum canceling pups.
Quote by stratman7
Yeah there are. Seymour Duncan makes Hot Rails, and some other ones as well I believe, but I prefer the Dimarzio ones. Go to www.Dimarzio.com and check out the Strat hum canceling pups.

Alright thanks. But do you know is any of those would fit a Mustang?
Quote by Fender1424
Alright thanks. But do you know is any of those would fit a Mustang?

I think the only guitar a normal single-coil wouldn't fit is the bridge of a Telecaster.
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
personally i would look into jaguars and see if you can find a fender cyclone to try out. I heard good things about them but havent seen them around for awhile so i dont know if fender still makes them. The dealer I was checking the cyclone out at said they were made basically for a cure to the jagstang and mustangs issues with staying in tune.
i would get the Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar
was looking into getting one myself.
Alright, I went to Guitar Center today and found a used '93-'94 Fender Mustang, in great condition, I felt so lucky. I took it home . I have 30 days to bring it back if I don't like it. It's red with a white racing stripe. You guys think I did well?

Here's a picture of it (This one isn't my exact one, but it's the same model):

I'm thinking about putting a new pick up in the bridge, for more output. One of those single coils that sound and work like humbuckers, so powqer chords and palm muting sound better. Any recomendations on what pickup?
Last edited by Fender1424 at Aug 15, 2009,