http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/all_that_remains/this_darkened_heart_ver4_tab.htm

A relatively easy song- the hardest part is that it's clocked at 236BPM. I do downpicking stamina exercises every day, and I can downpick eighths at 200BPM for 1min straight, but for this song I can barely make it past the intro at 212BPM before my arm gives out- how am I supposed to have enough left to do the bloody Choruses???

I even attempted downpicking eighths for as long as possible at 236BPM, and I only managed to last 10 seconds! I was using the smallest stroke motion as possible to maintain my speed, but I still gave out- I don't know how it's possible for me to maintain that stroke motion for the whole song!

So do you guys have any advice about fast downpicking and stamina? I reeeallly want to get this song down.
Last edited by Meticulous at Aug 14, 2009,
make sure your breathing is paced also, i find it helps me for tough down picking sections. i developed my downpickng technique from playing Metallica and the like. just keep practicing
dont? alternate/economy picking ftw.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
work on your up strokes as well
go down down down up up up
do downstrokes down the strings and upstrokes up the strings
play barre chords with your picking hand
Are you certain that this song is exclusively downpicked? Listening to it, and looking at the tab, I think that I would alternate pick it. No reason to make things harder than they should be.
It all comes down to practice. They're professional musicians for a reason. They can fucking play.
An awful lot of palm questions today... lol

Sounds alternated.
me:
Fender 72 custom deluxe tele (black)
Fender 72 Thinline Tele (natural)
Gibson Les Paul Studio (cherry sunburst)
Gibson Les Paul Classic (black)
Blueridge acoustic (amazing!)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 half
Vox AC-100 CPH half
Quote by metallifan3091
Are you certain that this song is exclusively downpicked? Listening to it, and looking at the tab, I think that I would alternate pick it. No reason to make things harder than they should be.

Well I assumed the whole song was downpicked due to the genre, but after watching a few cover vids I see that they do alt-pick through the Chorus. Phew, my arm thanks you for bringing this to light for me