I'm looking to get a Mesa Dual Rectifier, are ENGL Fireball's good?

I want a heavy, thick, rock tone. NOT metal.

I'd boost with a TS808, It's hard to tell from youtube videos but it looks like a nice amp, not too shrilly sounding.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
it's deff a metal amp.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Do you want a vintage or modern sounding amp...? Because what you describe as "heavy, thick, rock tone. NOT metal" is going in another direction from the Rectifier and Fireball.
IMO, the fireball is a better full on metal amp than a rock amp. If you really dig the ENGL tone, and want rock tones, I would look into the Blackmore or maybe the Screamer. The DRec can get some great modern rock sounds, but it's kind of apples and oranges in comparison to an ENGL as far as voicing.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
sup eric?
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
sup eric?

sup Derek, how's it going brudda, haven't talked to you in a while.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
sup Derek, how's it going brudda, haven't talked to you in a while.

long day, 12 hour shift, very eventful.

TS: can you name a few bands that you play so we can get an idea of the kind of tones you're looking for?
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by Ghold125
Do you want a vintage or modern sounding amp...? Because what you describe as "heavy, thick, rock tone. NOT metal" is going in another direction from the Rectifier and Fireball.

You can boost a vintage sounding rock amp like my marshall and get a thick heavy modern rock tone out of it, same with a dual rectifier.
He Is Legend does it all the time
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
You can boost a vintage sounding rock amp like my marshall and get a thick heavy modern rock tone out of it, same with a dual rectifier.
He Is Legend does it all the time

he's actualy pretty wrong imo. mesa is pretty much the definitive tone of modern rock and engls are also very modern amps.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I figured if I toned the gain down on an ENGL I could get the sound I'm looking for, but it sounds like ENGLs are just made to roar with gain so if I toned it down it would lose a lot of body
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
I figured if I toned the gain down on an ENGL I could get the sound I'm looking for, but it sounds like ENGLs are just made to roar with gain so if I toned it down it would lose a lot of body

if you're talking about the Fball or Pball, yeah, they are basically aimed at the metal genres. A Blackmore or Screamer could pull off a great rock tone without a problem though, and a Blackmore can also take you into metal if your tastes change.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
if you're talking about the Fball or Pball, yeah, they are basically aimed at the metal genres. A Blackmore or Screamer could pull off a great rock tone without a problem though, and a Blackmore can also take you into metal if your tastes change.

agreed.

eric: gg&a spam thread.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

As said above, Blackmores are sexy
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
I looked at the screamer, and I've gotta say... wowwee I'm impressed. I'd like to play one of those little buggers.

ENGL doesn't seem to too widely distributed around the US, where should I look for one?

none on craigslist, none on ebay *if I were to but it*
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
musicians friend recently picked them up. rocksolid amps has been the only us distributor for a while.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by touji-za-nai
I'm looking to get a Mesa Dual Rectifier, are ENGL Fireball's good?

I want a heavy, thick, rock tone. NOT metal.

I'd boost with a TS808, It's hard to tell from youtube videos but it looks like a nice amp, not too shrilly sounding.

You don't want a metal tone yet you're gonna boost a fireball? Are you insane?

Quote by touji-za-nai
I looked at the screamer, and I've gotta say... wowwee I'm impressed. I'd like to play one of those little buggers.

ENGL doesn't seem to too widely distributed around the US, where should I look for one?

none on craigslist, none on ebay *if I were to but it*

I was impressed when I played the screamer, great modern rock tone. I might be getting one next year sometime, I just need to get enough money for it and a boost.

There's a good demo of what it does here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVKuZiFogCQ&feature=related
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by sg4ever
Why don't you just boost your JCM800 with the TS808?

marshall is pretty close to what I want, but too thin and brittle sounding. the screamer (I think) and the dual rectifier (I know) just have warmer overdrives
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808