What strings should I use for lower tunings? im filling in for a friends band and they play in C standard. Thanks!
The heviest you can find and flatwound would be a bonus.... cuz u want to avoid fret buzz and a really heavy string will do that..... comapany wise I would use d'aderio...
I use a five string pack with a gauge .125 "B" string and just keep the G string hanging around.

I dont see how using flats would reduce fret buzz ... if it does would anyone care to enlighten?

Hopefully you know in general what kind of strings you like. Nickel, stainless steel and all that.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
I was actually just corrected. They play in drop B. I never though about buying a a pack of 5 strings and ommiting the high sting. Maybe ill try that out.

Edit: ill probably be playing the same bass in drop D at times too. So maybe the 5 string pack would be a bad idea. What is the safest way to tune between these very different tunings?
Last edited by Chris189 at Aug 14, 2009,
Tuning between drop D and drop B would suck. You should probably use seperate basses for that.

Also, Rotosound Drop Zones are designed for detuning.
http://www.rotosound.com/dz66.html
(.175? *raises eyebrow*)

Going down to F# would be insane.
E -> D# -> D -> C# -> C -> B -> A# -> A -> G# -> G -> F#
That's 10 semitones, unless I fail at math?
Last edited by Steve08 at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by Steve08
Tuning between drop D and drop B would suck. You should probably use seperate basses for that.

Also, Rotosound Drop Zones are designed for detuning.
http://www.rotosound.com/dz66.html
(.175? *raises eyebrow*)

.175 is a low F# string. And yes, switching between drop D and drop B would suck. A lot. With the minimum of a string change and a hefty setup job.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^If drop tuning it'd make more sense to leave out the E string, so then you're downtuning:

A->G
D->C
G->F

as opposed to

E up to G
A up to C
D up to F

Before i tuned to C standard i spent a good bit of time looking through the topics regarding tuning like this and decided to first take my instinct and a bit of knowledge from other posters and tune up, and then on my next set of strings for the tuning to take your advice and others and tune down. Just gonna try em both out and see which one i like more.

Also, using tunings so far from each other like that seems like it would be a terrible experience for your strings and the well being of your bass, definitely consider trying to snag another bass from craigslist or ebay. I originally thought it might be a good idea to buy a five string, keep in standard for then B tuning and drop the E to D with the drop D tuning.

But thats just me, i do abhor drop tunings though cause the fifth thing makes me feel uncomfortable.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."