I was just wondering how come there is no karma or reputation feature on this forum? On a lot of vbulletin forums there has been that.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Karma and reputation systems promote elitism. Most people who have used them in the past agree on that. Those that don't generally have stupidly high reputations given to them for comments like 'brah, boyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' on other forums.
UG cant afford luxury likes karma man, that's for those rich folk!

No, I really dont know why, but Colohue sure does make a good point.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Yeah, I mean I think they are stupid. I am just surprised that they aren't on this forum.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Musical elitism is one of the most infamous brands.

"I like Muse."
*bad rep.*
"I like The Rolling Stones."
*bad rep.*
"Cool story, bro."
*good rep.*

After all, on UG, the Pit is where most reputation would be generated.
And now an example from MH400:

Kensai: lol
All other Pit goers: *Good Rep*

See my point?

The only reason I used Kensai as an example is because people just seem to kiss his InterButt. Obviously, many other usernames would be suited to this scenario.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by RockGuitar92
Yeah, I mean I think they are stupid. I am just surprised that they aren't on this forum.
Not so much stupid, they just don't serve much purpose for this particular forum and are prone to abuse.

A forum I previously visited provided a lot of help to users rather than just conversation. In that setting, karma points were a nice touch. The guys with high points totals were the ones who spent the most time doing for others. Users were very respectful and I don't believe anyone ever gave a negative.

UG is a different kind of setting. More of the conversations here are opinion-driven. Karma points would not be useful in most cases.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Not so much stupid, they just don't serve much purpose for this particular forum and are prone to abuse.

A forum I previously visited provided a lot of help to users rather than just conversation. In that setting, karma points were a nice touch. The guys with high points totals were the ones who spent the most time doing for others. Users were very respectful and I don't believe anyone ever gave a negative.

UG is a different kind of setting. More of the conversations here are opinion-driven. Karma points would not be useful in most cases.

Good point. Karma is better for something like a tech forum or something that involves a lot of advice and helping out. This is just more or less random conversation. Most people stay in The Pit.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by Colohue
Musical elitism is one of the most infamous brands.

"I like Muse."
*bad rep.*
"I like The Rolling Stones."
*bad rep.*
"Cool story, bro."
*good rep.*

After all, on UG, the Pit is where most reputation would be generated.

We still have the whole contribution and UG rating thing and that doesn't cause anymore elitism really. But I agree that it isn't really necessary here unless you could just apply it to certain sections of the forum.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
We still have the whole contribution and UG rating thing and that doesn't cause anymore elitism really. But I agree that it isn't really necessary here unless you could just apply it to certain sections of the forum.

With the UG score people actually have to put in the work to earn it, and I have known it cause elitism in one or two of the top tabbers before now. Rarely, you'll get a 'you can't ban me! I made all these tabs!' in the FotB, but it's a preferable system if you ask me. It doesn't say 'listen to this person', it says 'this person has given something back to this website'.

It also encourages people to contribute, so I don't see a little elitism as a bad thing on that end.
A couple other forums I go to have the karma system, as a martial arts forum that Im a part of. It seems to work out pretty well there, and its obvious the regulars there have an insane amount that any regular user cant really hope to get.

It seems to work out there pretty well, people are pretty respectful

But it wouldnt work out to well on this forum.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410