Hey, I am a 20 year old guitarist from India, and I'm new here. Hello everyone.

I've been playing for about 5 years now. I play mainly heavy metal, the EXACT same taste and tone requirement as this guy here

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181865&highlight=keeley+mt+2

But this thread does not list what pedals I should look at.

Bands: Annihilator, Bodom, Firewind, Symphony X, Testament, Nevermore, Dream Theater, etc.
Tone: Heavy chugga chugga rhythm AND warm, fat lead tone on neck pickup solos.

I have a beat up old fender blues jr and even with an overdrive it doesnt cut it for me.

Budget: $150 US.

Please help me out.

-Sushant
I'm sure that you have a limited selection of amps over in India but you may be better off looking for an amp more suited for metal than buying a pedal. Thats just my opinion though, take it or leave it
Hmmmm, well you have a tube amp. What you may want to do is save a little more for something like a Pod XT, used if you can. But, since you're in India, that may be hard to find used.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I'd check out the DigiTech Hardwire TL-2, if you can. Great metal distortion.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
@i_am_metalhead: The only decent high gain tube amp available here is the Bugera 6260, and it costs like 50 grand, that's roughly $1000 US. I dont have that kind of money, and I'm only a student, so "saving up" is an impossibility, especially with that kind of money as the target. Pedals are my only option.

@guitarsftw: I looked, its very tough to find good equipment used down here.

@Raijouta: That's an option. Also, in that other thread I mentioned, people sopke about the Keeley MT2. Is it good? How much does it cost?
Quote by Raijouta
I'd check out the DigiTech Hardwire TL-2, if you can. Great metal distortion.

I played that pedal 3 days ago.

For a single distortion pedal for metal, you won't beat this easily and most definately not at that price.

I also suggest getting the hardwire Reverb pedal if your amp doesn't have Reverb.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Any chance you can get a used Pod or save up a little more for a new one?

I am certain that a Pod would be more suitable for you than merely a pedal. Its more versatile and has amp models which would be useful for you.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINPOD20
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by sushant_1989
No man, finding decent used gear down here is very difficult.

The way I look at it is this...

you have USD$150.

The Pod 2.0 costs USD$199.

You might as well save for a while more. I personally think that the Pod would be a better choice in terms of versatility and matching your needs than just a single stompbox would.

Like pickups, stompboxes are used to adjust your tone. The stompboxes give it that final push and oomph to hit that tone you're looking for. What you need more that just a push, you need catapult to get you to where you need to reach.

Hence, get a Pod, whether the 2.0 or a better one. You get a larger range of available tones and would be more likely to get the sound you need.

In this particular instance and in your situation, any stompbox would be a one-trick pony.

Heck, you could fork out money for something great like a ZVex Box of Metal, Fulltone OCD or Catalinbread DLS, but in your case, it'd still be a one trick pony.

That said, if you really could, see if its possible to get the ZVex Box of Metal, it'll definitely get you where you need to go, but is still a one trick pony. I'm not certain about the pricing though and I can't really be arsed to check the pricing right now. The Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion is pretty good stuff too.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.