Hi! I'm going to get a new cab for my birthday coming up and the most I can spend is about $600.

I'm planning on buying an Avatar cab with Vintage 30's in them. The thing is, I don't know if I should a) go with Avatar cabs or b) get a 2x12 or 4x12.

a) I'm also looking at the Mesa 2x12

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mesa-Boogie-Rectifier-120W-2x12-Horizontal-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-581728-i1453113.gc

So should I go with the Mesa or Avatar? (For genre: I'll play anything from poppunk to hardcore, something from like All Time Low all the way to A Day to Remember).

b) Besides more headroom, wattage, size, and weight, can the 4x12 deliver a better sound than the 2x12? If not I'll just stick with the 2x12.

and finally, if i WERE to get the Avatar cab, which should I get, Vintage, Traditional, or Contemporary and what Is the difference?

Sorry for that long post. Thanks!
well i would say find sound clips and c which you like best really....it your ear not ours...and by the way....on those myspace songs......try a little less mids to tighten up the guitar tone but just a little less...
This is a G chord....i used to be in a cranberries tribute band.
what amp?

Avatars are good on the budget, but you can expect the Mesa to be a better cab in the long run.
B-52 for now. but going to be a single or dual Mesa rec soon.

Quote by Led Hed Lefty
and by the way....on those myspace songs......try a little less mids to tighten up the guitar tone but just a little less...

yeah that was before i actually eqed the guitar tracks so they sound kind of, "bad". that was just straight up from my amp. check back in about two weeks for the new song :]
Quote by al112987
Avatars are good on the budget, but you can expect the Mesa to be a better cab in the long run.

Not true at all.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
avatar amps are the cheapest for the quality
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by DannyRL
so you're saying that Avatars are better than Mesa cabs?
No they are not. I have played plenty of Avatar cabs and yes they are great for their price, one of the best overall values out there in terms of getting a decent cabinet with good speakers.

But they are not better than a Mesa cabinet. I'm not talking about price to quality ratio, I'm talking about whether an Avatar is better than a Mesa or not.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 14, 2009,
Buy a Freda 2X12. I just bought one with a Weber 12v and a Weber Thames in it. It destroys my Mesa 4X12. The tone is better and the sound disbursement is better. Plus it only weighs 55 lbs.
joshuaestock.com
Quote by al112987
No they are not. I have played plenty of Avatar cabs and yes they are great for their price, one of the best overall values out there in terms of getting a decent cabinet with good speakers.

But they are not better than a Mesa cabinet. I'm not talking about price to quality ratio, I'm talking about whether an Avatar is better than a Mesa or not.

So basically if money weren't an option, go with the Mesa all the way right?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Mesa 2x12 now
Saxon 4x12....killer cabs.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
IMO there is absolutely no reason to get a Mesa instead of an Avatar. There simply is no justification for that kind of price difference. Avatar cabs are well built to your custom needs, and much cheaper. I recently bought a 2x12 Avatar with a V30 and a G12T75, and I am now a customer for life.
Quote by GuitarDTO
IMO there is absolutely no reason to get a Mesa instead of an Avatar. There simply is no justification for that kind of price difference. Avatar cabs are well built to your custom needs, and much cheaper. I recently bought a 2x12 Avatar with a V30 and a G12T75, and I am now a customer for life.

^^^^^

I have had my avatar cab for over 5 years now. Got a 4x12 with 4 cele g12 t-75's. I have gigged on avg twice a month and this cab still looks brand new. It sounds amazing. Anything else is just paying for a brand name, not better quality.
I honestly believe Mesa cabs are overrated. too much lo-end build up, makes damn-near any amp sound muddy through them.

...can I get a recipt fo my $.02?
Quote by GuitarDTO

So basically you're saying that they would do the job all the same? And that I'm just paying an extra hundred fifty or so for the name?

I'm just confused because from different reviews and stuff online, people said that Mesa's are better in the long run, built better, and overall sound better.
if you're going to spend that kind of money on a Mesa cab, go for a Mills Acoustics. Cheaper than the Mesa, built better, and a better design IMO. Fantastic sounding cabinets, huge tight lowend response without getting muddy, great projection, and built to withstand touring abuse. I sold my Recto cab after getting one, and couldn't be happier. Only problem is you won't find them used unfortunately, people don't sell them after getting one.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by Erock503
if you're going to spend that kind of money on a Mesa cab, go for a Mills Acoustics. Cheaper than the Mesa, built better, and a better design IMO. Fantastic sounding cabinets, huge tight lowend response without getting muddy, great projection, and built to withstand touring abuse. I sold my Recto cab after getting one, and couldn't be happier. Only problem is you won't find them used unfortunately, people don't sell them after getting one.

trust this advice. this guy knows his ****.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
trust this advice. this guy knows his ****.

haha, thanks Jon, the feeling is mutual. And to be honest, I think Mesa makes a killer cab, so that shows how highly I think of the Mills stuff.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Again....check out Saxon cabs. They are amazing quality, and the same price (loaded) as a new Marshall cab, and IMHO 10x better....and definitely the same quality as Mesa, if not better.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
orange 2x12
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
If you are getting a recto, I'd go with the recto 2X12. But do get a MXR 10 band eq for the loop, it will transform your amp.