Hello.
Today i will be going to my local guitar center and hopefully purchasing some pickups. I've taken an interest in Dimarzio's Tone Zone pickup for the bridge. I do not know yet if my guitar center sells them individually. So I was wondering if anyone knew About having a pickup set that carried both a neck and bridge pickup. What the sound may be etc. My RG4 is an H-S-H and I planned to have a X2N or Air Norton as the neck with an Area 67 as the single coil (Tone Zone as bridge). I know that my guitar center carries sets though for the Tone Zone.

This is my first time pickup shopping but I know what kind of sound I want from research. I am just wondering if two of the same pickups Neck and bridge would be different in sound.

PS: I get amp buzz from my stock pickups. INF3 (neck) INFS3 (single coil middle) INF4 (bridge) I use a very good cable (A monster cable) So I was also wondering, If I get the pickups swapped, will the buzz lower with better quality pickups instead of my stock RG4EXFM1 pickups? Also, Does anyone know if the single coil in the Ibanez RG4EXFM1 Is hum-canceling to begin with?

Thank you.
i don`t think the buzz is comming from your infinty pups, check your ground wires, try another guitar through the same amp.

pups are normally sold individually so you can mix and match.

monster cables actually aren`t that good imo just overpriced, planet waves are cheaper and have better signal transparency.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 14, 2009,
Be very careful with the Tone Zone, it's not a pickup for everyone - any particular reason you chose it?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I tried quite a few guitars on the amp. Mostly lead me to believe it was the single coil that caused the buzz, usually when I switch to it I get the sound as if I had my strat plugged in. I have Monster rock cable. Actually got to try a few other ones and I like the planet waves aswell.

@Steven
I heard it is really awesome to some while others have problems with it (Just like the X2N) I like the fact that the sound is distinctive by the way you strum the strings. (rougher sound with deeper strokes etc) It's on the more bassier side of things though, but I heard it's real versatile. Also my guitar is basswood so I believe it will work well with a medium output pickup also such as a Norton.
It's not really versatile at all, it does one thing well and that's brash, flashy in-your-face lead playing - if that's your style then it'll work well. However it's pretty sucky at lower gain stuff and the cleans are abysmal. And it's not the pickup that gives you more distortion when you hit the strings harder, it's the amp...that's how tube amps work. The responsiveness of the pickup will affect how easily you can control it but ultimately it's still an amp thing rather than a pickup thing.

If you want versatility then go with a Norton (NOT air norton) in the bridge and a Humbucker from Hell in the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Thank you. I happen to like the tone of it In distortion but Haven't heard of it in clean.
When I sat out to find a pick up that was sort of all around with a bit of bass but not too much treble, I found the super distortion first then the TZ. What do you think of the Super Dist? I'm wondering if the Area 67 S coil is a good choice too.

The problem with my current pups (Infinity) Is I notice from both Amps I have used it on. (My Vypyr and my Tube) Is the distortion is not very clear what so ever when you play power chords. It's sort of muddy combined with treble so I thought I really needed to change them.

Edited: I looked at the humbucker from hell. The sound seems very nice! I'm interested in that. When I go to GC I'll try it.
Last edited by Mix Master at Aug 14, 2009,
Tone zones don't do cleans very well?

PaulGilbertmuch? he does play flashy leads but he has relatively mild gain, even clean on some songs
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Just because he plays cleans doesn´t mean his clean tone is the best.
If I combine the Tone zone in bridge and a Humbucker from hell in neck. Would the cleans be fine?

Edited: How do you think the TZ does on riffing?
Last edited by Mix Master at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by Slicer666
Tone zones don't do cleans very well?

PaulGilbertmuch? he does play flashy leads but he has relatively mild gain, even clean on some songs

Gilbert is a Paf Pro man last time i checked, I can attest that the cleans on my TZ are not up to par at all, I use the Paf Pro in the neck or the Blue velvet in the middle for that.

I find my TZ fine for rhythm but excels for lead work.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by Vlasco
Just because he plays cleans doesn´t mean his clean tone is the best.

His clean tone is pretty good.

Quote by halikus
Gilbert is a Paf Pro man last time i checked, I can attest that the cleans on my TZ are not up to par at all, I use the Paf Pro in the neck or the Blue velvet in the middle for that.

I find my TZ fine for rhythm but excels for lead work.

He used tonezones for a while, the PGM401 has PAF's in em I think but he had Tone Zone's before.

Those PAF's are pretty nice as well though.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
The Tone Zone in my RG is downright pants for clean tones - it's good at what it does, it's jsut got a very particular sound that doesn't work in a lot of situatons.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Any Ideas on a single coil pickup? I think I myswell switch it out since I have a little extra cash
Ill be ordering the humbucker from hell and the Norton today. Any last ideas on a Single coil for my H S H? The cost for replacement and restring my RG bridge should be around $125 USD correct?
Ok I ordered the HBFH, and Norton/ Will be here in a week . I still need a Single coil/ I was thinking a YJM but the fact that it is low output, I have a 5 way connector, and If Use it with the Humbucker from hell how would it sound? Or even the Norton for that matter. Does anyone have any ideas?
YJM needs an OD or a clean boost if you plan on playing with it. I have one, really lowoutput until i hit my dod250. There are better choices like the blue velvet or even a fast track if you must go with dimarzio. fs-1 is what the jems use but its a rather noisy pickup
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I'm unsure if the HBFH will do it's job on distortion for me, But it's clean tone was just for me so I got it. The Norton I really like as well for it's distortion but it makes me wonder what I want in my Single slot. A distorted sound or a more articulate low output sound?
Both Humbuckers are great clean and distorted. The HBFH almost as a p90 for cleans but stays true to its HB roots distorted.

Really if you stick to singles form dim here what i have form my experience with the few i tried

Fast Track I-Great clean. twangy. Great distorted. Its very articulate
YJM-Low output sucker. Acted more like a super low output humbucker. Hardly any single coil twang. Boosted with an OD gave an articulate sound that picked up everything(from the good to the bad in your playing, much like evos)/
Blue Velvet-Acted as a mid ground between fast track and YJM for me. Super nice clean. not noisy. extremely articulate. Didnt really pickup any excess noise
FS-1-Sounded like a strat single coil, twangy however, picked up excess noise.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks