hello there,
I wanted to ask a few questions about pick ups, the first one is :
1)Are the stock pickups good enough to play Metal, post-hardcore?
2)Should i buy EMG 81/85 pickups?
3)How much those active EMG pickups will last? ( battery life)

that's it for now.
thanks for reading =]
(Ibanez GRG270B Pickups are POWERSOUND)

i guess i will buy the EMG's but i can't decide what combo to use . i like heavy distortion and high gain sounds and the i thought of the combos 81/60 81/85 85/60
what combo should i use?
I have Peavy vypyr 30W
Last edited by Oryou at Aug 14, 2009,
buy the EMGs, the battery should last you a while.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
1.) Well, it mainly depends on your amp.
2.) Well, it mainly depends on your amp.
3.) A long time. I think nospacesallowed is correct on this one.

What amp do you have TS?
Strats & Seagulls
1) Powersounds are horrible pickups, and even through a good amp, sound mediocre.
2) Maybe. EMG's can have good tone, but it depends quite highly on your amp. Also, you should plan on doing the 18v mod.
3) Long enough (I think the previous 2000+ is a good estimate). Just be sure to unplug the guitar when not playing to conserve battery life.*

*unless you IbanezPyscho's guitar.
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
1.) Well, it mainly depends on your amp.
2.) Well, it mainly depends on your amp.
3.) A long time. I think nospacesallowed is correct on this one.

What amp do you have TS?

Quote by forsaknazrael
1 - This is more dependent on what your amp is. You can have the highest out put pickups, but if you have an amp unsuited for your music, it won't work.

well i am going to buy a Peavy vypyr 30w/ if it's not high output so tell me what amp to buy at the same price ><

Quote by dudey5691
1) Powersounds are horrible pickups, and even through a good amp, sound mediocre.
2) Maybe. EMG's can have good tone, but it depends quite highly on your amp. Also, you should plan on doing the 18v mod.
3) Long enough (I think the previous 2000+ is a good estimate). Just be sure to unplug the guitar when not playing to conserve battery life.*

*unless you IbanezPyscho's guitar.

what's the 18v mod and where can i get it?
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I don't recommend active pickups with a solid state amp. That amp has enough gain on its own, anyway.

Do you plan to play in a band? 30W won't be enough to get over drums.

i am not planning to play in a band lol
btw why not playing with active pickups on a solid state amp? the ibanez pickups are ghey so high gain + high output should be a good match ><
Well, if you're going to get the Vypyr don't buy active pick-ups. They don't couple well with solid state and modeling amps. If I was you, I would take the money you were going to use to buy the amp, and they money you were going to use to buy the pick-ups and invest it all in an amp. Look at the Blackstar HT-5, that's around $400.
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
Well, if you're going to get the Vypyr don't buy active pick-ups. They don't couple well with solid state and modeling amps. If I was you, I would take the money you were going to use to buy the amp, and they money you were going to use to buy the pick-ups and invest it all in an amp. Look at the Blackstar HT-5, that's around $400.

so you say Active pickups will be useless and a waste of money? btw the store i am going to doesn't have the Blackstar it has Peavey , ORange, Kustom , Marshall .. btw i dont have a lot of budget max i can spend on everything is about 1100$ and i am going to buy a guitar (ibanez GRG270B) and an amp (Peavey Vypyr 30w) maybe i should buy a different amp? like i said i like Post-hardcore (escape the fate, Matchbook romance.....) and Thrash (slayer, cannibal corpse)... can you recommend me on another amp?
p.s. they have roland cube also
Quote by Oryou
i am not planning to play in a band lol
btw why not playing with active pickups on a solid state amp? the ibanez pickups are ghey so high gain + high output should be a good match ><

Who said they're ghey? They're not AMAZING, but they're not terrible. A decent amp is much more important than a pickups.

And active pickups like the EMGs you're looking at are designed to drive a tube amp hard.
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
Look at the Blackstar HT-5, that's around $400.

I don't think the Blackstar would be a wise choice for someone who plays metal.

Personally, it sounds like you're just starting out or something...Just get the Vypyr, keep the Ibby stock. You have NO idea what it is you want out of your tone yet. Changing pickups isn't about "improving your tone", it's about tweaking your tone. You don't even know what this setup is like yet.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Who said they're ghey? They're not AMAZING, but they're not terrible. A decent amp is much more important than a pickups.

And active pickups like the EMGs you're looking at are designed to drive a tube amp hard.

Personally, it sounds like you're just starting out or something...Just get the Vypyr, keep the Ibby stock. You have NO idea what it is you want out of your tone yet. Changing pickups isn't about "improving your tone", it's about tweaking your tone. You don't even know what this setup is like yet.

O_O now i understand , thanks , well it will be my first electric guitar although i did play an electric one for 1 hour or so , k i will go on the Vypyr 30w i hope i wont regret
p.s. will the vypyr be good for metal and post-hardcore? ><" and about my guitar will it be good too?
Quote by Oryou
so you say Active pickups will be useless and a waste of money? btw the store i am going to doesn't have the Blackstar it has Peavey , ORange, Kustom , Marshall .. btw i dont have a lot of budget max i can spend on everything is about 1100$ and i am going to buy a guitar (ibanez GRG270B) and an amp (Peavey Vypyr 30w) maybe i should buy a different amp? like i said i like Post-hardcore (escape the fate, Matchbook romance.....) and Thrash (slayer, cannibal corpse)... can you recommend me on another amp?

Is this going to be your first guitar? If it is, you may want to reconsider spending that much. You may not stick with it, and you might end up being out quite a bit of money.

If it's not your first guitar, I would get an Ibanez RG3EXFM1 ($350) and a Roland Cube 30 ($200). It's hard to find a low wattage tube amp that suitable for those genres from the companies you listed.

EDIT:
Quote by forsaknazrael

Really? When I tried out the Blackstar, it had plenty of gain for what ever I needed. However, I can't say I tried to dial in a Cannibal Corpse tone. I guess it may be lacking there.
Strats & Seagulls
Last edited by xxBR34KD0WN at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
Is this going to be your first guitar? If it is, you may want to reconsider spending that much. You may not stick with it, and you might end up being out quite a bit of money.

If it's not your first guitar, I would get an Ibanez RG3EXFM1 ($350) and a Roland Cube 30 ($200). It's hard to find a low wattage tube amp that suitable for those genres from the companies you listed.

well it is going to be my first guitar but although i will spend a lot of money i dont think i will buy another one , at least for 2-3 years , so i am looking forward to buy something good , a really GOOD start not a bad one imo.
anyway my friend is buying a Blade Texas standart and it's his first electric guitar =\
Quote by Oryou
well it is going to be my first guitar but although i will spend a lot of money i dont think i will buy another one , at least for 2-3 years , so i am looking forward to buy something good , a really GOOD start not a bad one imo.

Still, don't spend too much, since you may not stick with it, and it'll just be money out the window. I stick with what I said earlier, though. The Ibanez RG3EXFM1 and the Cube 30.
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
Still, don't spend too much, since you may not stick with it, and it'll just be money out the window. I stick with what I said earlier, though. The Ibanez RG3EXFM1 and the Cube 30.

well i will go for the cube 30 and the ibanez (that was my first conecpt though)
btw what do you mean i wont stick with it, i can also get a BC RICH warlock..
Quote by Oryou
well i will go for the cube 30 and the ibanez (that was my first conecpt though)
btw what do you mean i wont stick with it, i can also get a BC RICH warlock..

Don't get a Warlock. B.C. Rich doesn't make good starter models at all.

I'm just saying that a lot of people buy a guitar and quit after a few months. I'd hate to see you spend over a thousand dollars and find out in a few months that you don't like guitar. However, I'm no one to judge. perhaps you put a lot of thought into this and are ready to make a commitment to it.

It is up to you though.
Strats & Seagulls
Last edited by xxBR34KD0WN at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
Don't get a Warlock. B.C. Rich doesn't make good starter models at all.

I'm just saying that a lot of people buy a guitar and don't quit after a few months. I'd hate to see you spend over a thousand dollars and find out in a few months that you don't like guitar. However, I'm no one to judge. perhaps you put a lot of thought into this and are ready to make a commitment to it.

It is up to you though.

well i really like playing my guitar i am spending most of the day playing it i can't see a reason why not buying an electric one i am playing for almost 2 and a half months and i was looking forward to play many songs and even (maybe) form a band ><" , so i dont get it , what's better?? the Roland cube 30x? or Peavey Vypyr 30w? (i mentiond earlier what i like , good distortion and high gain sounds) maybe i will just check it on the shop.. ><
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
I'm just saying that a lot of people buy a guitar and don't quit after a few months. I'd hate to see you spend over a thousand dollars and find out in a few months that you don't like guitar. However, I'm no one to judge. perhaps you put a lot of thought into this and are ready to make a commitment to it.

Not to mention a lot of people upgrade from their first guitar/amp eventually.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Not to mention a lot of people upgrade from their first guitar/amp eventually.

of course i will upgrade but i dont want to upgrade it after 4 months.. at least after 1 year thats why i am looking for a good start point
is the roland cube 30x a solid state?
Quote by Oryou
well i really like playing my guitar i am spending most of the day playing it i can't see a reason why not buying an electric one i am playing for almost 2 and a half months and i was looking forward to play many songs and even (maybe) form a band ><" , so i dont get it , what's better?? the Roland cube 30x? or Peavey Vypyr 30w? (i mentiond earlier what i like , good distortion and high gain sounds) maybe i will just check it on the shop.. ><

Oh. Well I asked if this was your first guitar and you said yes, so...

I would go with a Roland. I think it's simpler than the Vypyr, but is about equal in sound quality.
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
Oh. Well I asked if this was your first guitar and you said yes, so...

I would go with a Roland. I think it's simpler than the Vypyr, but is about equal in sound quality.

k i read some reviews and i will go for the roland cube =] sheesh i almost bought it , i am going to buy it in sunday xD

Quote by forsaknazrael
That eventual upgrade point is why he was saying you shouldn't spend a buttload of money just yet.

lol thanks to guys i could make the decision xDD thanks a lot