is there a way to convert a bolt on into a neck thru?
My Gear
Guitars
Esp Ltd EC100QM
Esp Ltd EC1000 Deluxe

Amps
Randall RG100G3
Randall 2x12 Extension Cab

Effects
Zoom 9.2tt
U will need to buy a new guitar. What you are asking is like putting a Marshall jcm inside a bugera body. Pretty uch the same thing as buying anew guitar. Getting anew guitar will probably be cheaper than converting bolt on to ntb(if it is even possible)
if you understood what a bolt on, and neck thru guitar was, then you would have your answer
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
what is this i dont even

waait. This is actually very possible. Buy a neck through neck, then slice up your guitar. I mean, it's a lot of work, but if you reaaaally want to do it.

Unless you mean convert a bolt on neck to a neck through neck.
That'd be possible too I guess...But not such a good idea.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Last edited by AntiG3 at Aug 14, 2009,
firstly, why?

and yes you can do it, but it won't be easy. Your going to have to take about 5cm out of the middle of your guitar (slice it in half and then cut another 2.5cm off) then plane that edge flat. Then your going to have to buy a new neck, glue it in, sand it flush and then redo all of the routes. There's really no point in doing it, hence my first question...
Quote by xBENNYx
is there a way to convert a bolt on into a neck thru?

Convert
is the wrong word.

You could use a bolt on for some wood and spare parts when building a neck thru.
Benny, are you confusing neck-thru with set neck?

A neck through is essentially a 'long' neck, with 'wings' attached to create the body.
A set neck is a neck that's been glued it, it's possible to turn a bolt-on into a set-neck, but not a neck through.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by RJackson
Benny, are you confusing neck-thru with set neck?

A neck through is essentially a 'long' neck, with 'wings' attached to create the body.
A set neck is a neck that's been glued it, it's possible to turn a bolt-on into a set-neck, but not a neck through.

what he said, this is a method that B.C. Rich uses, if i'm thinking correctly. i think ESP does it to, but that may only be on their custom orders.

and if this is what you were looking for just clamps, wood glue, and a sand paper. you glue the neck in place with wood glue, clamp it down, let it completelly dry, then take the sand paper and sand down the excess glue that fell out the sides.

and there you go

but if you really meant a neck thru body then you would probablly be better off with buying a new guitar.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by -MintSauce-
No.
This. ^
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I see no benefit to gluing in a bolt-on neck. Set necks usually have a tenon. There designed differently than a bolt-on. Gluing a bolt-on will not improve your tone or sustain, and you lose the ability to remove it, which is the big benefit of a bolt-on anyway.
wow...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Just look at what les paul did with the log guys.
essentially it was a gibson neck thru with an epiphone body cut in half and glued onto it.
yes it is copletely pssible if your willing to put in the effort.
what kind of bolt on guitar is it anyway?
Quote by awsumed1993
Just look at what les paul did with the log guys.
essentially it was a gibson neck thru with an epiphone body cut in half and glued onto it.
yes it is copletely pssible if your willing to put in the effort.
what kind of bolt on guitar is it anyway?

that's not really a neck through. It's just a set neck glued onto a bit of wood that he fasioned up himself then stuck 2 halves of an epiphone body onto it.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
that's not really a neck through. It's just a set neck glued onto a bit of wood that he fasioned up himself then stuck 2 halves of an epiphone body onto it.

well you get the point he took a guitar cut it in half and glues it onto what the neck thru was inspired by
Quote by awsumed1993
well you get the point he took a guitar cut it in half and glues it onto what the neck thru was inspired by

Believe it or not, there are guitars that are constructed with body wings that aren't actually neck throughs. The point is though that yes it is possible to make a neck through using a bolt on guitar but you can't just "convert" a guitar to a neck through because it's going to change so much of the guitar that it's practically just a new guitar and by the time you've done all that effort you might as well have just made a whole new guitar in the first place.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."