Hi,

I have attached here a short GP5 rhythm track and I need to play a solo over it. Which scale would you use? If you don't have Guitar Pro, the progression is D A F#m D E F#m.

Thanks.
Attachments:
Rhythm.gp5
D major, except you'd have to alter it for the E chord I think.

All the other chords are in the key of D maj, E would usually be a minor chord in the key of D maj.
Quote by budreiser1
man that f# minor doesnt seem to fit when i play it
The track is tuned a half step down.
Quote by Poglia
The track is tuned a half step down.

That shouldn't make a difference as the intervals remain the same.
Quote by isaac_bandits
I know, it was for budreiser1 who said that the chord didn't sound like a F#m, he was probabilly playing over the track with a guitar tuned in E.

Anyway, thanks. I'll try D and F#m scales.
Quote by isaac_bandits

You were right, it is F# minor. Apologies TS..

I must disagree with your above statement though, isaac_bandits. I often find pieces sound terrible when transposed.
Last edited by Regression at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by Poglia
I know, it was for budreiser1 who said that the chord didn't sound like a F#m, he was probabilly playing over the track with a guitar tuned in E.

Surely if you are playing a chord it will sound the same whether you play it in standard or half step down, otherwise it isn't the same chord.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Surely if you are playing a chord it will sound the same whether you play it in standard or half step down, otherwise it isn't the same chord.

If you name notes relative to tuning guitarists will have a hell of a hard time finding their way around the fretboard. TS was simply naming them as if it were in standard tuning.
You could play Dmaj through the whole thing, or you could solo over each individual chord; "treating them as single events".
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by Poglia
Hi,

I have attached here a short GP5 rhythm track and I need to play a solo over it. Which scale would you use? If you don't have Guitar Pro, the progression is D A F#m D E F#m.

Thanks.
D and E are both major chords, and they would be next to each other in the scale - so they are probably the IV and V chords from the Major scale. Which would make F#m the vi chord and A the I chord - which all fits.

So the key is either A Major or its relative minor - F# minor

The progression seems to resolve to F# min, so use F# minor over it (which means F#min pent will work too)
your guitar pro file is tuned a half step down, meaning you are actually playing in F minor.

and the "chords" you are using are all power-chords (major nor minor). but if you just want a basic solo, the F minor scale will work.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
your guitar pro file is tuned a half step down, meaning you are actually playing in F minor.

and the "chords" you are using are all power-chords (major nor minor). but if you just want a basic solo, the F minor scale will work.

If the guitar is tuned down, we usually still call all the notes by the same names as if they were in standard. Its alot easier to think of, and all it does is displace everything by a semitone, which makes the guitar a transposing instrument (in this case with it tuned half a step down, in the key of B).

Quote by Regression
You were right, it is F# minor. Apologies TS..

I must disagree with your above statement though, isaac_bandits. I often find pieces sound terrible when transposed.

You might find things sound terrible transposed if voicings are changed, or if its transposed by a great deal. However, playing a song with every single note 1 semitone lower won't have a noticeably altering effect on the sound unless you have perfect pitch.

Quote by Poglia

Had he done that all of the chords would have sounded awful. A D5/Db5 wouldn't sound anymore pleasant than an F#5/F5
^

if something is in F# minor, you do not solo in A major, you solo in F# minor.

if something is in C major, you do not solo in A minor, you solo in C major.

i assume you realise that a scale is not a "shape".