Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a ABY box to use two amps at one, and to switch between them.
it has to have an adapter input, and preferably silent switching
Do you guys have recommendations ? Budget: $150 max.

Thanks
Quote by forstringwonder
i would make my own.

Not THAT simple if you want to make it buzz and static interference free...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL

its not a problem for me.

why spend $250 for an aby box where you can build your own for less than $40?
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Quote by forstringwonder
its not a problem for me.

why spend $250 for an aby box where you can build your own for less than $40?

And loose alot of your signal and thus tone and dynamics?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
And loose alot of your signal and thus tone and dynamics?

except that doesn't happen to me.

are you really arguing about this?
Quote by forstringwonder

Oh yes, i forgot that the laws of physics and electricity do not apply to you
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by forstringwonder

are you really arguing about this?

If you don't get ground loops or have other issues, good for you. Consider yourself lucky. I tired one of the cheap ones and it sounded like shit with my rig, mainly when running both amps at the same time. Some amps can work together without isolated transformers, be in phase with eachother, etc without any extra help, but not all. Some pedals sound horrible when daisy-chained together, same thing with amps. Passive units have been prone to popping when swtiching, it's just the nature of the beast.

Lehle makes some good switchers as well, but the product name escapes me. I wouldn't recommend lifting the ground on anything either, if that's your solution to solving ground loops.
Quote by LP_CL
Roger Mayer Crossroads
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/12448-roger-mayer-crossroads.html

Best ABY box i've ever seen. You will have to look second hand though, i think they are a little over 250$

looks cool, but Thomann doesn't sell it and I can't find it used in Belgium either.

I did come across a Morley Tripler though used, which looks good. Anybody have experience with that one ?

Also, i'm a but if a noob with ABY boxes, and I don't know what a polarity switch does or what a ground lift switch does. Could anybody enlighten me on that ?
Quote by LP_CL

Actually, it still is pretty simple.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=26
Active circuit, isolated outputs.

That Roger Mayer one is ridiculously priced. You don't need to spend that much for an ABY. All RM effects are WAY over priced.
he's right. as long as you don't use ****ty components and aren't retarded, you will have an aby box that works very very well for a fraction of what you would pay for one on the market.
Quote by forstringwonder
he's right. as long as you don't use ****ty components and aren't retarded, you will have an aby box that works very very well for a fraction of what you would pay for one on the market.

Since I see you are in MD, care to make me one for... let's say $60?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i just ordered the Taylor a/b/both box to split my T5 between the PA for acoustic and my Maz 38. Should be here by monday and I'll review it to let you know if its any good. I've read reviews that say its very noiseless and the switching is seemless. It uses a 9v only to power the LEDs, not the signal path circuitry itself so I believe that makes the unit passive. when i ordered it the total cost was $100 because the unit costs $89 and the shipping was $10. honestly, im expecting this thing to be pretty good. I dont think Taylor would put out a great instrument like the T5 and then produce an A/B/Both box to go with it only to cut corners on the A/B/Both box.

Oh and did i mention this box has an extra LED, unlike many other units I've seen, that stays lit while you have Both selected so that once you turn Both off you'll know which channel you're going to be on? pretty nifty I'd say
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
ive heard the morley is noisy. go try it out, and if it sucks i would suggest the taylor the guy above sai.d that seems like a pretty good option aside from making one or whatever
^Yea, me too. I had one. But my gear was real $hitty back then, and I didn't try it with a noise gate, so IDK.