I thought it'd be interesting to find out who you guys think has the best overall technique as a guitarist. This isn't "who's the fastest?" because there are some fast guitarists with poor technique, for example, all the guitarists that tense up their right arms for fast playing. Musical ability or lack of it is also moot in terms of this question.
This also isn't about who plays the hardest stuff, it's just about technique!

It'd be good if you could list the genre that they play too, as someone that's technically brilliant at blues wouldn't be expected to have (for example) excellent chicken picking technique.

Finally, please try to be as objective as you can, don't pick a guitarist just because he's in your favorite band.

So, to get the ball rolling: the most technically able guitarist I've seen is Jani Liimatainen and he plays metal.
I've always been impressed with Gilbert's picking, but it's only after seeing him live that I realised how bloody tight it really is.
Quote by Unlimited
there is no such thing as the BEST technique

The thread title said "THINK", this implies opinion. Surely you're capable of deciding who e.g. plays with the least tension, has the best economy of motion, has good vibrato technque, doesn't anchor ect.
Dave Murray of Iron Maiden...

I love the "noodley" flow of many of his solos...

Adrian Smith a close second...
I think the best technique is good guitar playing.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
I don't really see how you can judge overall technique, when classical guitar, jazz guitar, metal guitar, country guitar, slide guitar etc. all have vastly different approaches to playing. But if the issue is to be able to play anything with no technical limitations whatsoever, it's probably a classical guitarist or a jazz fingerstyle player.
Buckethead

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Aziraphale
I don't really see how you can judge overall technique, when classical guitar, jazz guitar, metal guitar, country guitar, slide guitar etc. all have vastly different approaches to playing. But if the issue is to be able to play anything with no technical limitations whatsoever, it's probably a classical guitarist or a jazz fingerstyle player.

Hence why I said to name the genre that they play.
Quote by irnmadn88
Dave Murray of Iron Maiden...

I love the "noodley" flow of many of his solos...

Adrian Smith a close second...

Yes I agree they are my favorite guitarists with Janick Gers too they all have great technique and have flow in the solos like this guy said they play smooth and clean.
Allan Holdsworth, Brett Garsed, Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan, Joel Hoekstra, Shawn Lane and Eric Johnson come to mind for me.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Personally I'm amazed by Chris Broderick's fretting and tapping.
Overall I don't know, nor care much...
Quote by Prophet of Page
Allan Holdsworth, Brett Garsed, Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan, Joel Hoekstra, Shawn Lane and Eric Johnson come to mind for me.

I heavily agree with those that I bolded. I haven't heard of the others.

Paul Gilbert and Andy Timmons also really do it for me.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
I heavily agree with those that I bolded. I haven't heard of the others.

Paul Gilbert and Andy Timmons also really do it for me.

Be sure to look them up, I can't believe I didn't mention Gilbert!
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
personally id say Martin Hagstrom and Frederik Thordendal simply because they still sound so tight even with all the weird time signatures kicking around in meshuggahs songs id also like to note that the picking in songs like bleed and future breed machine is probably the fastest ive ever heard
99-------------55--------6666-------44-----444
99-------------55-----66-----66-----44-44--44
99-------------55-----66--66666---44--44--44
99-------------55-----66-------66---44--------44
99999999---55------66--------66--44--------44
I think Chris Broderick has excellent tapping technique, and Shawn Lane is probably the best alternate picker I've seen. I also think Dave Murray from Iron Maiden is one of the best legato players. But in general I think Buckethead has the best overall technique.
*Chris Broderick for tapping
*Paul Gilbert for string skipping
*BB King with the lovely bends
*John Petrucci with sweeping
*flame shield* Kurt Cobain for turning a simple song into a amazing one
*Finger picking (not chickin pickin) goes to Djano Reinhardt
*Adam Jones with odd time sigs

I could go on forever with this.
Alternate picking/String Skipping: Paul Gilbert
Sweeping.. maybe Rusty Cooley or Michael Angelo. One of those super-shredders.
Legato: Satch/Vai. I haven't seen Allan Holdsworth play yet.
Tapping: Not sure. Maybe Stanley Jordan/Guthrie Govan/one of those other 8 finger tappers. Personally my favourite is Michael Romeo.
Bends: Marty Friedman
Vibrato: Steve Vai

No clue about finger/chicken picking.
Quote by Timothongz
Alternate picking/String Skipping: Paul Gilbert
Sweeping.. maybe Rusty Cooley or Michael Angelo. One of those super-shredders.
Legato: Satch/Vai. I haven't seen Allan Holdsworth play yet.
Tapping: Not sure. Maybe Stanley Jordan/Guthrie Govan/one of those other 8 finger tappers. Personally my favourite is Michael Romeo.
Bends: Marty Friedman
Vibrato: Steve Vai

No clue about finger/chicken picking.

Albert King? He's also a fabulous Hybrid Picker just like Jerry Reed.
Guthrie Govan, Marshall Harrison, Greg Howe, Shawn Lane, Matthew Mills, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Shawn Lane, Rusty Cooley, Todd Duane, John Petrucci.
Buckethead wins it for me.
He is just such a versatile player. His alternate picking, legato, sweeping and tapping (just to name a few) are outstanding.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE