Hi All Here

I've played guitar for around 5 years now and have a simple yet hard to find question. If you have a strat is it possible to one of the tone pots into a second volume??? or even add a second voolume and change the 5 way for a 3 way selector like a gibson product

Regards

FUZZY
like the 1st selector controls first pickup 2nd blends the two and third is just the second pickup. Like a gibson pretty much and the volumes controls two pickups
Quote by Telecaster7
what would the second volume control?
And you could put in a three way, but ther'ed be no pickup combos

Yes, what WOULD the second volume control?

And you can do that, and it would be a fairly easy mod I think. I dunno how to do it though, cause I havent done it

You could put in a 3 way switch, all the old Fenders had them. Tbh with you, I'd rather have a three way in mine, just cause I don't like the sound of the 2nd and 4th position. Sometimes when I'm playing, changing from the bridge to the neck pickp, or vice versa, it get's stuck on one of them, and that can be quite annoying. If you get me.
Cam Sampbell's my hero

Here's what you're working with.

Edit: I would need to know more about the selector switch, as it seems to me that it's only built/wired for one master volume for all 3 pickups.
Last edited by blue_strat at Aug 14, 2009,
Blue_Strat, you just posted stock strat wiring. That is not what Fuzzy is asking about.

Dudes.... open your minds.
You can do some cool stuff with a second volume. You could have a 3-way switch control the neck and middle pickups, and V2 blend in the bridge. This would give you 2 pickup settings you cannot get in a stock strat: B+M+N and B+N (which sounds glorious).
Is this what you want Fuzzy?

It might be easier to use a Tele 3-way rather than a Gibson toggle, the Gibby style would require drilling.
You could even go with 3 volumes if you want, one for each pup, and no tones.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by cedricsmods
Blue_Strat, you just posted stock strat wiring. That is not what Fuzzy is asking about.

Dudes.... open your minds.
You can do some cool stuff with a second volume. You could have a 3-way switch control the neck and middle pickups, and V2 blend in the bridge. This would give you 2 pickup settings you cannot get in a stock strat: B+M+N and B+N (which sounds glorious).
Is this what you want Fuzzy?

It might be easier to use a Tele 3-way rather than a Gibson toggle, the Gibby style would require drilling.
You could even go with 3 volumes if you want, one for each pup, and no tones.

Yeah thats what i want so on the first selector N, Second N/M/B and third B. Would their be a way you could blend the Neck and bridge with that style. And a tele style three way doesn't bother me i just want a three way
Quote by cedricsmods

I know - the question is: how do you modify the stock wiring to achieve the TS's aims?
Figuring out the wiring is Step 2. Step 1 is making sure we are clear on what Fuzzy's aims are.

Fuzzy, do you just want to add the possibility of B+M+N and B+N, or do you want the middle pickup to blend (i.e. be able to control it's volume separately)?
The first can be done with a simple on-off switch, and retain your stock switching and both tones too.
The second requires using a pot, and loss of a tone knob.

What I am hearing right now is: 3-way toggles between N, N+B, B this is controlled by V1
Meanwhile, the Middle can be added with the V2.
Is this what you want?
What do you want the tone knob to control?
Last edited by cedricsmods at Aug 14, 2009,