So i've been messing around for the past 2 days or so, and i've been coming up with random riffs, mostly just chug on the open E powerchord there and here and then finish it up with a few single notes move down / up a string and then maybe throw in a hammeron / pull off or some vibrato

But do scales make creating your own riffs easier? like knowing what notes sound good together, and where to find that said note?

Or is that more learning the fretboard?
post in guitar techniques,they will explain all
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Yes, that's exactly what scales are good for.

Helps you know for sure a specific note will sound good played over a specific chord.

They also help you create chords. You can combine any 2 3 4 5 or 6 notes from the scale, and you know it is actualy a valid chord.

Now this doesn't mean your riff / lick will sound good put together, but at least you know the notes are not WRONG, and will not sound sour.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
You dont need them, as long as it sound good to your ears, but they can definately help.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Wrong forum.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...