I can only do the pentatonic scale which goes like this on the 12 fret:

E: 12 15
A: 12 14
D: 12 14
G: 12 14
B: 12 15
e: 12 15

Could you guys post the major and minor scale in the same "format" as above, or give me a page with some scales, which are easy to learn?

Thanks in advance.
Searchbar

Google

Youtube

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

go onto scales............you will find what you want
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Look, there's little to be gained from just learning a load of random snippets of scale patterns.

The first thing you need to do is learn where the rest of the minor pentatonic scale is - and it wouldn't hurt to actually learn what a scale is and also what you use it for and why you're actually learning it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Look, there's little to be gained from just learning a load of random snippets of scale patterns.

The first thing you need to do is learn where the rest of the minor pentatonic scale is - and it wouldn't hurt to actually learn what a scale is and also what you use it for and why you're actually learning it.

Nah, i don't do scales over many octaves, is that really neccessary?
You need to learn your intervals and scale formulas, then you can construct your own. Also, it won't do you any good to just learn random scales and not know where they are applicable and such. Plus, when it comes to Major (Ionian) and Minor (Aeolian), they are modes, which is getting a little advanced.
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Quote by Mixedpotatoes

If that's the case then in all honesty there's no point bothering with them at all, because you're not actually learning anything.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

For example the pentatonic is used almost exclusively in old rock aka ritchie blackmore

Phrygian scale is used by yngwie malmsteen and most neoclassical guitarists

It really helps developing your ear to perceive the scale tones instead of mechanically learning it, especially when you want to change them melodically,harmonically, diminished etc.
sweden on tour
so yeah scales are great and how you use them depends on what u play blah blah but what exactly is a scale does anybody know? can anyone explain what a scale is and what it is used for? for the sake of the thread.
Quote by angel6746
so yeah scales are great and how you use them depends on what u play blah blah but what exactly is a scale does anybody know? can anyone explain what a scale is and what it is used for? for the sake of the thread.

:/ To put it simply: It's a series of musical notes that sound good together.

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
aaronsguitarlessons.com

^best thing ive ever found for learning guitar

Quote by angel6746

what the guy above me said.
Here's a little fact of the day for you: The major and minor scale fingerings were devised by Andre' Segovia(classical guitar player)
Last edited by Some random k1d at Aug 14, 2009,
That site looks pretty cool, thanks for sharing it.

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
I suggest you this:
http://www.jamcenter.com/scales.php
It's great. It can show gregorian modes, mayor/menor modes, pentatonic/blues modes and some exotic scales too.
In the same webpage (www.jamcenter.com) there's also a Jam tool, in the key you want.
And if you want some more jan tracks go to www.guitarbt.com.
Seeya.
PD: In guitarbt.com you can also find backing tracks for a lot of songs.
this is all great! well heres another question is there such thing as a metal scale? i kno theres a blues scale but is there a specific one used for metal songs? if so are there different ones for different genres of metal like death to core?
If you want to go for a Nile/Behemoth/Death sound you can try the Harmonic Minor scale and it's 5th mode the Phrygian Dominant (which has a very middle eastern vibe). Necrophagist and a few other death metal bands use the diminished scale. Most classic metal and a lot of metalcore bands use the Aeolian mode.

However I strongly suggest that you learn the major scale and it's seven modes first.
http://www.theorylessons.com/index.html
Imo that's the site the explains it the best.

Edit: One last piece of advice: it's all in the phrasing. Scales are just a tool to give you some general guidance about the fretboard, don't be afraid to use outside notes. They can add a lot of color to your solos.

Cheers

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
Last edited by XxDethmetalxX at Aug 14, 2009,
To all criticizing the OP's learning strategy. I first learned one position of a couple scales. Then eventually the scales on the rest of the neck. After I could apply the basics to guitar I was curious and went on to learn scale formula's, scale harmonization, chord construction etc. OP seems to have it right, learning to apply what little theory he knows onto the guitar before moving on. In my opinion anyway.
Quote by Mixedpotatoes

I guess not if you don't mind sounding the same over and over and over and over and over again, and only play chords in one position.

Quote by Boxxxed
To all criticizing the OP's learning strategy. I first learned one position of a couple scales. Then eventually the scales on the rest of the neck. After I could apply the basics to guitar I was curious and went on to learn scale formula's, scale harmonization, chord construction etc. OP seems to have it right, learning to apply what little theory he knows onto the guitar before moving on. In my opinion anyway.

I think it is much more beneficial to learn theory and your scales at the same time though if you haven't worked on much theory before, as it lets you learn how to put the scale in context and helps to really understand what is going on.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Can you guys tell me about modes, like the aoelian, phrygian or whatever they're called? Are they normal scales or are they something else?

Oh, and btw, i know a bit about musical theory, so don't talk to me like i am a baby or something

: p
Quote by Mixedpotatoes
Can you guys tell me about modes, like the aoelian, phrygian or whatever they're called? Are they normal scales or are they something else?

Oh, and btw, i know a bit about musical theory, so don't talk to me like i am a baby or something

: p

This statement suggests otherwise....

"Nah, i don't do scales over many octaves, is that really neccessary?"

Modes are a long way off for you yet, don't worry about them for the time being.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 15, 2009,