Poll: Is a pedal tuner worth it?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is a pedal tuner worth it?
Yes
34 87%
No
5 13%
Voters: 39.
Is it really worth it?

Because im about to buy a boss tu-2 if it is, or a boss tu-12 yall reallly dont think so.

I do play live fairly often by the way.

Also, How does the tu-2 affect tone, because i cant find a pitchblack on ebay in my price range (65 bucks).

And its hard for a 14 year old to make any money round here
it is worth it if you are gigging, because it'll be faster than to plug your guitar in a tuner between each songs, and you can use the pedal as a mute switch too.
the tu-2 will suck a bit of your tone because, as you were told in your other thread, that's what boss pedals do, they take your tone and remove its life, then put it back where it was.
if i were you i'd really go with the pitchblack or the planet waves one, which is even cheaper, and is also true bypass and everthing.

edit: there you go http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-PWCT04-Chromatic-Pedal-Tuner?sku=210064
See if you can't find a Korg DT-10. They were discontinued last year and replaced by the pitchblack. Stores in my area were giving pretty good deals on them. I managed to snag one for only $50CAD. Maybe check ebay seeing as I'm sure most store have gotten rid of them by now. Its not true bypass but most people agree that it doesn't colour your tone nearly as much as the boss tuner.
Last edited by mentalwarfare at Aug 14, 2009,
a pedal tuner is important to have in your board. the boss one isnt bad by any means, but i love my korg pitchblack. if you could spare a few more dollars id go with the pitchblack, but the boss is a good pedal, and for 65 bucks, you got a pretty good deal
TU2 will have little effect on your tone. I challenge anyone who claims to hear a day/night difference between the TU2's bypass and that of say, a Turbo Tuner. But regardless of this, a good tuner is essential - no matter how good you are/how good your tone is youll sound awful if you aren't in tune!
I have a Pitchblack and would definitely recommend it.
Quote by guns_rosesldb
a pedal tuner is important to have in your board. the boss one isnt bad by any means, but i love my korg pitchblack. if you could spare a few more dollars id go with the pitchblack, but the boss is a good pedal, and for 65 bucks, you got a pretty good deal

I really cant spare some bucks haha. I've worked hard for the past two months to get where i am at 65.

So it wont do much to my tone? And theres two dt-10s on ebay i can find. one the bid is at 40, but its got like 2 days left, and the other is buy it now for 90!!
A stage tuner is the single most important thing if you're gigging. That said, I recently ditched my TU-2 for one of these:

PROS: Silent tuning, can tune easily in the middle of a song, 4x cheaper than a pedal, batteries last for months, doesn't affect tone at all

CONS: Some models have a weak clip and can be knocked off the headstock, can be a a little cumbersome if you pull lots of really wild stage moves (guitar behind the head etc)
^ Another Con: Looks absolutely ridiculous.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by kyle62
A stage tuner is the single most important thing if you're gigging. That said, I recently ditched my TU-2 for one of these:

PROS: Silent tuning, can tune easily in the middle of a song, 4x cheaper than a pedal, batteries last for months, doesn't affect tone at all

CONS: Some models have a weak clip and can be knocked off the headstock, can be a a little cumbersome if you pull lots of really wild stage moves (guitar behind the head etc)

how is it silent tuning?
Quote by nathanlamb01098
how is it silent tuning?

Uses a piezo to tune through the vibrations of the guitar, so you don't need to be plugged in. Also, looks a lot less ridiculous in the back of the headstock ,which is easier to see anyway.
Quote by nathanlamb01098
I really cant spare some bucks haha. I've worked hard for the past two months to get where i am at 65.

So it wont do much to my tone? And theres two dt-10s on ebay i can find. one the bid is at 40, but its got like 2 days left, and the other is buy it now for 90!!

the boss one will be just fine. if it afffected your tone badly, it would not be used by so many professionals today
Quote by nathanlamb01098
how is it silent tuning?

Yeah I wondered about that too... Maybe if you plug you guitar out. Or turn off your amp or guiar vol. But that seems ridiculous. Couldn't see it being very accurate in a noisy live situation either.

If you play acoustic you can't tune silently anyway.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by gerardwayne
Yeah I wondered about that too... Maybe if you plug you guitar out. Or turn off your amp or guiar vol. But that seems ridiculous. Couldn't see it being very accurate in a noisy live situation either.

If you play acoustic you can't tune silently anyway.

I've been gigging with one for six months, three times a week, and have had no problems at all, even tuning in the middle of an ext6nded jam. I tend to roll off the guitar volume while I tune, but you don't even have to do that if you prefer to tune out loud.
Quote by kyle62
I've been gigging with one for six months, three times a week, and have had no problems at all, even tuning in the middle of an ext6nded jam. I tend to roll off the guitar volume while I tune, but you don't even have to do that if you prefer to tune out loud.

Well, woop dee dooo!

I have a tuner pedal that doesn't look like a little wing mirror hanging off the top of my guitar.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
I have a pedalboard full of 8 boss pedals. The tu-2 included. And I swear there is no tone difference at all. Some people say these things and it makes me wonder what kind of stuff they are using. And as guns_roses said, if it affects your tone so much, why do so many guitarists use it? I love my tu-2. My only complaint is that I wish they would make the "sharp" indicator a little more noticeable. I play 1/2 step down and there have been a couple times where I have tuned one string in standard because standing up 6 feet from the pedal makes it hard to see that tiny little dot next to the note.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Okay, I find that a little hard to believe. 8 Boss pedals in a row DEFINITELY will do some damage, especially having the NS-2 there. Maybe you don't notice it, or care about it, but there is definitely a difference there.

TS, one pedal isn't going to ruin your tone. In reality you probably don't have good enough gear to worry about that sort of thing anyway.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
Okay, I find that a little hard to believe. 8 Boss pedals in a row DEFINITELY will do some damage, especially having the NS-2 there. Maybe you don't notice it, or care about it, but there is definitely a difference there.

TS, one pedal isn't going to ruin your tone. In reality you probably don't have good enough gear to worry about that sort of thing anyway.

Ok thanks. Im just waiting for the auction to end and me to win hopefully.

It will be my only pedal. So my setup will be :hss strat > tu-2 > vox ad30vt
The ns-2 will only drown out your tone if you have the gate turned up anything past 3/4 of the way full. Anything up to 12 o clock where I have it set at, doesn't do anything besides block out some of the feedback. Again, the ns-2 is a popular pedal, many guitarists, professional and amateur, use it and if it sucked tone as much as some say it does, it would not be as popular. Any pedal will suck your tone if you set it to do so. If you dont know how to use it correctly, then of course it will sound bad. You can find it hard to believe, but people have different experiences. A pedalboard isnt going to treat every person the same way.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Last edited by CkY freak at Aug 14, 2009,
I'm not talking about how it sounds, I'm talking about how much cabling you're using and the type of bypass that your pedals have.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by guns_rosesldb
the boss one will be just fine. if it afffected your tone badly, it would not be used by so many professionals today

They use tuner-outs so the TU2 isn't in the signal path. The damned thing all by itself sucks a lot of warmth out of your tone otherwise. If you don't have a tuner-out or some other kind of parallel output, get the Korg Pitchblack.