I can see where they're coming from but I don't agree with it. The vast majority of communication face to face is not what is said but how it is said, in what context, what tone, and that's not even mentioning body language. While it may be more confidence inspiring to speak online I would certainly argue it's far harder.
It bothers me quite a bit, because there are a hundred people who will start a conversation with me through msn or something, who wouldn't bother with the effort it takes to start one in real life. It winds me up.
That's because everyone is insecure. Internet makes people socially stunted IRL.

Except for me. I'm great.
It's good that "young people" can express themselves. If they aren't comfortable or ready to talk to someone face-to-face then why pressure them? If they can get accustomed to their own feelings and emotions then in time they can be encouraged to talk to whoever it is they need to, be it counsellors, friends, whoever.
Interesting. I personally find it harder to communicate over the internet, I always try to treat people I don't know with more tact and this sometimes makes it hard to think of the right things to say.

However, I would say that I can identify more with some of the friends I've met on UG than with some of my friends IRL, simply because the fact that most people here are musicians gives me something to identify with. Or whatever. I expressed this badly, I fear.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Fear of a blank planet?

Typicially it is easier to talk on the internet, as you can talk to near anyone on any website/chat client. Actual conversations are a different story.
Arguing online is frustrating, so no.
SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL

"And the earth died screaming as I lay dreaming"
I think it's a lot easier to express negativity online because you're hiding behind a computer. That's the problem.
Quote by rigiddigits
That's because everyone is insecure. Internet makes people socially stunted IRL.

Except for me. I'm great.

Yes you are...

I almost have to talk face to face with someone, I have these awesome hand gestures.
Quote by kashuul
I almost have to talk face to face with someone, I have these awesome hand gestures.

I often mimic people who make gestures.

Sometimes it's involuntary, and I sort of do it without thinking just so I understand what they're saying.
Sometimes, it's a mockery. Most often it starts with one and evolves into, or is percieved as, the other.
"Real life long relationships" in high school? Don't get me wrong, i met some great people at my school, but can you really blame some people for not having too many friends at one?

"The technology has brought new ways to make friends. But it is also open to misuse and children can be vulnerable to bullying and abuse through this medium."

Children being bullied? No way, ban this filth.
Last edited by bendystraw at Aug 14, 2009,
Peoples can't pick up on my sarcasm online....
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yea, you show her common sense. You show her your common sense hard. You shove your common sense down her throat. She's a naughty little thing and you need to beat some common sense all over her face.

^In regards to incest
You do have more time to think about what you're saying and there's less nervousness for some people about talking to a new person online and so on. However, there is a lot more to communication than that. Also, I think being online, with more time to think about what to type and no body language means that people can project the part of their personality that they want to project, whilst the things their communication failures continue in real life.
The problem with talking in person is the limited number of people you can socialize with. They have to be right in front of you, so that narrows your choices a bit. The internet crosses all cultures and opinions and is much funnier and smarter than the boring people you meet. I am really only interested in hot girls face to face, and not really for the talking.
I find it easier to communicate with STRANGERS online. communicating with people I already have met in real life is much harder for no apparent reason.

In real life AND over the net I find it hard to communicate, go me.
DeVillains!
I will admit, I find it much easier to be a complete f*cking asshole online. Because none of you are real people.
Mmhm, like you can trust that the kids say to be true.

Today's "youths" like to be felt bad for. This whole "85% feeling left out" is a bunch of flat out lies told by children trying to make themselves into a victim. Social interaction is not dead, the internet is cool, and today's youths are a bunch of self-sufficient martyrs.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy
Mmhm, like you can trust that the kids say to be true.

Today's "youths" like to be felt bad for. This whole "85% feeling left out" is a bunch of flat out lies told by children trying to make themselves into a victim. Social interaction is not dead, the internet is cool, and today's youths are a bunch of self-sufficient martyrs.

I get the impression they surveyed a whole bunch of Emo kids.
How the fuck can 72% feel left out? Unless everyone has the wrong friends, I can't see only three teenagers in a group of ten thinking they fit in with that group.
-

Quote by MightyAl
I will admit, I find it much easier to be a complete f*cking asshole online. Because none of you are real people.

You make a good point. In thread that's linked in my sig, I was being a complete dick to that guy, even though he did post a pic, and was about twice my size.
Quote by kashuul
You make a good point. In thread that's linked in my sig, I was being a complete dick to that guy, even though he did post a pic, and was about twice my size.

But he's not a real person.
Noone on the internet is.
Except me.
Did it ever occur to them that a survey on Myspace that's about the internet isn't that good of an idea? Bias, much?
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
I can see it. I know I'm a different person on the internet for the most part. But then again who isn't? Whether that makes it harder to communicate IRL, well thats debatable
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Its pathetic.

If you've bothered to develop the confidence to speak in real life, as well as online, then it doesn't matter

But those people who have suddenly realized they barely need to be sociable in real life because they can spend hours on the internet talking to virtual friends, well have you met these people? They're f***ing brain dead morons
Quote by blynd_snyper
I can see where they're coming from but I don't agree with it. The vast majority of communication face to face is not what is said but how it is said, in what context, what tone, and that's not even mentioning body language. While it may be more confidence inspiring to speak online I would certainly argue it's far harder.

They're saying that people find it easier to open up their feelings because of either anonymity or the fact they don't have to hear the words they're saying and there are no awkward pauses due to the fact you can [Backspace]. Not being face to face can make people feel less pressured when talking, and not hearing the other person's voice makes it even easier. Have you ever been dumped by a girlfriend via phone call or instant message? People tend to feel like they can say things easier when they don't have to say it to someone's face.

I actually kind of worry about the trend because people are interacting less in person. I once befriended a local girl via myspace and we met up. I was interested in her, but she had such a hard time talking in person, she usually wouldn't open up unless we were online. Needless to say, that kind of ruined it for me.

Quote by MightyAl

Well said
Last edited by dudius at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by blynd_snyper

I'd definitely agree with you there.
But the main advantage, I can see, from internet communication is the ability to really consider every response you make. (Basically, what Dudius said in the post above)

Although you wouldn't know from some of the pish that gets posted in The Pit.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Last edited by bodyheatseeker at Aug 14, 2009,