I remember someone showing me some thing like playing a chord and then like hammering on to a fret with one of the unused fingers to make another chord. I don't even know if that's it, all i know is that there is some way that people change the sound mid chord. What's that called?
Its just a more complex hammer on (and possibly pull off, dependent on whether or not that happens). I do not think it is a "name" as you would like. The reality is that it is like playing a chord, then hammering a note. Since the chord notes are still ringing, it sounds like another chord is being played. In reality this is not really the case.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
You mean like playing a 6 string minor bar chord and then hammering down the major third?
hammering on a chord extension

|-------------------5h7----
|-1h3p1-----0h1p0---5-------
|-0---------2-------5-----
|-2---------2-----------------
|-3---------0----------------
|-----------------------------
Do you mean for example when you play an Asus2 and hammer the B string to get an Am? Like on Fade To Black.
Quote by Poglia
Do you mean for example when you play an Asus2 and hammer the B string to get an Am? Like on Fade To Black.

yeah
Yeah, he's just hammering on another unused finger to make a new chord. Brian May does it in the We Will Rock You outro. He bars over the D, G and B on the 14th fret and then hammers on his second and third fingers to make a Bm7. That's probably the best example.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55