I know that if I play in E major, I have to play F#, C# and D# as minors.

But what if I play in E minor, do I have to play those as majors ?

Or is it that if I play in C minor, I need to play Eb, Ab and Bb as majors ?
Last edited by TinyJimbo at Aug 14, 2009,
Huh...

I think you understood something wrong along the way.
Relative minor means, for example when you play the C major scale (CDEFGAB), it's relative minor scale is A minor (6th degree of the major scale) so A minor would be all the notes in C major, but starting at A (ABCDEFG).

Same for all the other scales. For example, G major's (GABCDEF#) relative minor scale would be all the notes of the G major scale, but starting on the 6th degree (E). The notes in E minor would be EF#GABCD.

Understand.
Thanks ! Now I get it. Man that music theory is hard on my brain, but damn is it rewarding !

After 21 years I can finally say that I play music.
Quote by TinyJimbo
If you have 2 minutes to kill I'd love if anyone could tell me if this is right.

Some of it is in French but It's very similar.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7631/fsdgdsaas.jpg

Peace
Not quite. Your relative majors are wrong. Think of it this way C is the relative major of A and A is the relative minor of C. They are relative of each other, not just one of the other. That being said, the relative majors on that should be:

Eb
F
G
Ab
Bb
Cb (or B)
Db
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by KoenDercksen
Huh...

I think you understood something wrong along the way.
Relative minor means, for example when you play the C major scale (CDEFGAB), it's relative minor scale is A minor (6th degree of the major scale) so A minor would be all the notes in C major, but starting at A (ABCDEFG).

Same for all the other scales. For example, G major's (GABCDEF#) relative minor scale would be all the notes of the G major scale, but starting on the 6th degree (E). The notes in E minor would be EF#GABCD.

Understand.

so a major scales relative minor is just the 6th degree of that scale?
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by bass-man9712
so a major scales relative minor is just the 6th degree of that scale?
Yup, and a minor scale's relative major is just the third (minor third to be precise).
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Yup, and a minor scale's relative major is just the third (minor third to be precise).

what exactly do u use them for in the first place (obviously never looked at this before)
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated