I'm almost at the 3 week mark. To me time is just a number. I don't plan on quitting and I'm enjoying every second of playing, I'd play all day if my fingers didn't start hurting.

As of now I practice chromatic scales, chords and chord changes. Rhythm and strum patterns. I can some songs, but not to the level I'd like to be at.
Right now I'm looking for accuracy rather than speed. When I played baseball I told form, speed will follow. From what I've read this is the same for guitar.

I can play three little birds by Bob Marley.
The rift of Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton.
Some parts of Stairway to Heaven

I'm working on getting my chord changes faster but keeping my accuracy. What else should I look into practicing? I'm sure this is the 50th topic about this and I apologize. But I'm not sure for my experience/progress what would be a new spot. I have my long term goals set out. If anyone could throw a schedule for the next few weeks. Not a day to day do this do that, but a general idea. I'd be very thankful.

If it helps I practice for at least 1 hour a day.
Scales

The sooner you begin learning them, the faster you'll be able to use them

The pentatonic minor is good for starters
Quote by Rakatung
Scales

The sooner you begin learning them, the faster you'll be able to use them

The pentatonic minor is good for starters

this, and the major scale.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Scales for sure
Im going to say hammer-ons and pull-offs just because the stronger yours are the more legato(fancy word for notes without picking) you can throw in...i suggest practicing this on your scales to kill two birds with one stone
Scales.

Don't jump right head-first into the scales, though. Most people don't even tell you the most important thing in order to master scales or even get a good feel for 'em.. If you really, really wanna get ahead and not dig yourself into only knowing the shapes for scale patterns, I recommend this (doesn't got to be learned in any particular order, but the first step always has to be learned first):

• Well, actually learn the patterns. Most people who are complacent stop here and it hinders them from actually getting good at knowing what notes to play.
  • Record playing these scales up the neck. In several different patterns. Play these scales to yourself and see if you can point out what kind of scale it is. Not necessarily the key (though that would be a plus!) but the type. Major, minor, modal, etc. Alternatively you should actually sing along to the notes of the scale.. actually, I recommend both!
  • Assuming you KNOW what a particular scale sounds like, do this next, and get tough about it.. even I haven't. Play particular patterns of the scale that asks of you to only play certain intervals. Start out simple. Only play the 1, 3, and 5. Or only play the 2, 4, or 7. Maybe something more sophisticated, like 1, 4, 6, 2, 3, 5, 7, 1 (actually missing the root tonic on the way up but arriving back on it in the next octave. By knowing what notes of a particular key that you're actually playing, you can harmonize with the chord changes and make your playing more concrete!
  • Now you should actually know the scale inside out. Apply it. You need to get a feel for it now. Pick a song you know that would work with the ones you've learned, play along to it, see if it sounds good. If it doesn't, well.. back to the woodshed y'go!
Last edited by HoffManCometh at Aug 15, 2009,