So.. For about 2 years, I've been playing with horrible hand posture (lolcrap.) which then leads to pains in my wrists.

I went through numerous sites/videos to see how to hold it properly, but there's always a slight difference in all (but of course, it's based on preference)
So is there any sites/video you guys could show, or type up where to put my damn thumb on the guitar? D;

Thanks
Last edited by jtRawr at Aug 14, 2009,
Usually I would always recommend to play in a way that feels comfortable to you. I personally will play with my thumb on the back of the neck unless I wrap it around to mute strings. The "right" way to do it is to always have your thumb on the back of the neck to support your other fingers
I wrap mine around to mute strings occasionally. It depends on my posture at the moment also. When my guitar neck is almost horizontal its easier to have my thumb higher but when its held more diagonal or in a classical style (which is extremely comfortable BTW) its almost completely hiding behind the neck.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by ChadHydro
Usually I would always recommend to play in a way that feels comfortable to you. I personally will play with my thumb on the back of the neck unless I wrap it around to mute strings. The "right" way to do it is to always have your thumb on the back of the neck to support your other fingers

It is comfortable, but I think the way my thumb is, is affecting my wrist.
My wrist is nearly 90 degrees when I play standing up with my current position ):
i think the general rule is when you play chords and stuff at the lower end of the fretboard, your thumb should be one the back of the neck an when you're soloing in the higher frets, your thumb should be curled around the top of the neck
Quote by jtRawr
So.. For about 2 years, I've been playing with horrible hand posture (lolcrap.) which then leads to pains in my wrists.

I went through numerous sites/videos to see how to hold it properly, but there's always a slight difference in all (but of course, it's based on preference)
So is there any sites/video you guys could show, or type up where to put my damn thumb on the guitar? D;

Thanks

?

Check out my correct posture vid and you'll see what the dealio is.